not amused

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelarse

Private Member
had a screed to do today. approx 40m, 3 rooms. was pretty deep, between 100-125mm. so quite simply if working at 100mm it should be approx 4m3. so thats give or take what we had ordered plus a little extra.

anyway turned up and the readymix was already on the drive. me and my mate thought it looked like quite a hefty pile, but just thought well we order just over 4m3 so it must be.

anyway, when we looked at it were quite suprised to find that it had fibres in aswell as the customer had turned down the option.

so on we went, loaded out and laid the floors. it was daywork so had to drag it and ended up finishing up with tidying about 4.30. the customer went bonkers because there was still loads of screed left. and when i say loads, put it this way. he asked us to put it round the back and spread it over his patio. it ended up about 4 inches deep over the patio and all down the side of the house. it took 2 of us 2 1/2 hours to move it. we finished after washing the drive at nearly 8pm!!

we came to the conclusion that we must have got someone elses order,, coz it just isnt possible to be that far over. i am now completely f.ucked and in a bad mood:RpS_mad: we basically laid him a new patio after work

haha fcuk that still on a day rate, laid a nice new patio and path stayed late got to be over time your day rate only takes ya up to half 4 anything after that is double bubble:RpS_thumbup:

Nick,

I'm with you on this one. Having screed left over on a small job can be a real issue and although it hurts,in some ways you were lucky there was some where to loose it.
On sites it is not so much an issue as any left overs can invariably be ploughed into the ground, or some ground worker will pop his head up and have a hole some where that needs filling.

On another note, ready mix loads turning up on tippers are a real gamble, one day to wet, next to bony and s**t to lay, crap inland sands instead of creamy marine sands.Problem is once its turned up, your commited and stuck with it.

I nearly always use batching lorries these days.I can over see the consitency of the mix and instruct as to how I want it, and you have the great addage of being able to tweek your requirments. ie say I want another half a metre because the builder lied to me about the depth, I can have my own additives placed into the mix, these nomally being fast dring components ie Ronacrete or Flexiscreed. Its of coarse always fresh as you have watched it being mixed.

How many times have you been told a thickness over the phone by a developer or builder, only to turn up and find something totally different .Batching allows you to increase or decrease the load accordingly.

The delivery also takes up less area as they can pile higher ( handy in some instances) if space is a premium.

Another little plus is trees and power cable that dictate were you can use a tipper or not. With a batching lorry thats not such much an issue.

he did order it yeah. he felt it was my fault that i told him the wrong amount, we just said alright mate we'll chuck it round the back, about an hour later i was thinking bollox to this, we cant have ordered this much. and whats wrong with £20?? thats nearly £5 per hour each!!

Nick,

I'm with you on this one. Having screed left over on a small job can be a real issue and although it hurts,in some ways you were lucky there was some where to loose it.
On sites it is not so much an issue as any left overs can invariably be ploughed into the ground, or some ground worker will pop his head up and have a hole some where that needs filling.

On another note, ready mix loads turning up on tippers are a real gamble, one day to wet, next to bony and s**t to lay, crap inland sands instead of creamy marine sands.Problem is once its turned up, your commited and stuck with it.

I nearly always use batching lorries these days.I can over see the consitency of the mix and instruct as to how I want it, and you have the great addage of being able to tweek your requirments. ie say I want another half a metre because the builder lied to me about the depth, I can have my own additives placed into the mix, these nomally being fast dring components ie Ronacrete or Flexiscreed. Its of coarse always fresh as you have watched it being mixed.

How many times have you been told a thickness over the phone by a developer or builder, only to turn up and find something totally different .Batching allows you to increase or decrease the load accordingly.

The delivery also takes up less area as they can pile higher ( handy in some instances) if space is a premium.

Another little plus is trees and power cable that dictate were you can use a tipper or not. With a batching lorry thats not such much an issue.

i totally agree mate. but he ordered it so was a bit out of my hands. and as you said about quality, it was terrible. as if it was too soft. never had it like that before. nice to move about but just wouldnt compress enough and it just kept moving about, and floated horrible also. not nice

Customer to readymix company..................."Yeah get a bit more freeflo in it, they've a bit more to do and I don't want it going off on my drive" :RpS_laugh:

Ronafix :RpS_biggrin:

i haven't heard that mentioned for donkeys untill we worked for another old boy paddy builder we were doing an external rendering job for bout a year ago. He wouldn't let us use any kind of bead and we had to ronafix every external corner before putting the rule edge up :RpS_cursing:

Bout £60 a gallon as well. I'm sure Henry would recommend keenes cement :RpS_thumbup:

Costomer prob ordered extra cos they buried the other half night before under the patio. you wanna watch yourself pal you could be done for assisting.

Nick, ring the supplier to see how much and what he ordered ie fibres. its unlikely u were that out by another 2 cube

Nick why did you not put it through the mixer yourself total control of what you mix. Let me tell something else how do you know the firm who the gear was bought off was just off loading extra gear they did not want. It goes on more then you think it would.

Nick, ring the supplier to see how much and what he ordered ie fibres. its unlikely u were that out by another 2 cube

i read the receipt and it said 4m3 and he said he asked for no fibres...

suppose i could call but i dont really care anymore tbh lol. was expensive tho i thought, nearly £700 for 4 m3 he said :RpS_confused:

Nick why did you not put it through the mixer yourself total control of what you mix. Let me tell something else how do you know the firm who the gear was bought off was just off loading extra gear they did not want. It goes on more then you think it would.

because i would have had to have mixed it........ we did have that discussion aswell, that we may have got the last load of gear at the end and there was a load left over and they just chucked it in.

life sucks sometimes mate thats the way it is, give beddy a ring and talk dirty to him will make you feel better.

asked him. but at that depth i thought bags was too expensive, but turns out he paid nearly the same for the readymix. and i dont have a conveyor for a lorry load of liquid.

nick is that the one you were telling me about? if so you still ripped him off even after giving him a new patio!

Like you said nik its yesterdays news. get over it allreaddy. R u finished with the weshys

nah. the sites a shambles tbh. no water for 3 days now. they split all the pipes today trying to thaw it. phil has gone home as its too cold to render. the site has basically shut sown as its only wet trades and water seems to be an essential ingredient

nick is that the one you were telling me about? if so you still ripped him off even after giving him a new patio!

i seem to recall these very words coming from your mouth steven. "it is only ripping somebody off if you leave a rough job, otherwise you are just expensive, and expensive is good"

yeah iv done it. theres still the garage to do tho. you can do it for £2 p/m and ill let you sleep in my bed

Status
Not open for further replies.