New tool Tuesday

BryanJ

Yeah I drive trains on a weekend!
1622928184714.png

MakeItSmooth

I saw a Festool sliding bevel the other day - just a BOG-standard beech sliding bevel, and it was retailing at £30!

Just noticed another example of Festool greed, which thoroughly takes the p1ss out of their customers:

ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Festool-205097-4014549352076-Bit-Holder--Bhs-60-Ce

MakeItSmooth

If anyone has been tyre-kicking Fein's top of the range AMM700 18v (previously called 'Supercut'), then now may be the time to pull the trigger.

The bare tool is currently £175 at FFX (usually about £210), and if you purchase any 2 bare powertools from the Fein range before the end of this month (2 days left!), they'll send you a charger and 2x 5.2ah heavy duty (21700 cells) batteries free.

I have no affiliation; I just own the AMM700 and their cordless angle grinder and they're excellent performers. Better quality than my DeWalt tools.

jamesthefirst

Private Member
I ended up with the festool multitool and a 3.1 battery, also got two of the 4ah ones with an impact deal and they are nice and light.
The hilti smd57 original is great bit of kit.

bobski

If anyone has been tyre-kicking Fein's top of the range AMM700 18v (previously called 'Supercut'), then now may be the time to pull the trigger.

The bare tool is currently £175 at FFX (usually about £210), and if you purchase any 2 bare powertools from the Fein range before the end of this month (2 days left!), they'll send you a charger and 2x 5.2ah heavy duty (21700 cells) batteries free.

I have no affiliation; I just own the AMM700 and their cordless angle grinder and they're excellent performers. Better quality than my DeWalt tools.

I think Festool gear is quality. So well engineered. Alway exact and and smooth. From combi drills to mixer drills, biscuit joiners to planers.

Fein on the other hand I found s**t.
I did like the look and quality of fein gear.
I paid £400 for the multi tool (kit). Used a hand full of times, not for long periods, over 3 years.

It died, on taking it apart, some of the electronics inside had swelled up..

I reckon it cost me £50 per use!

Not going back.

MakeItSmooth

I think Festool gear is quality. So well engineered. Alway exact and and smooth. From combi drills to mixer drills, biscuit joiners to planers.

Fein on the other hand I found s**t.
I did like the look and quality of fein gear.
I paid £400 for the multi tool (kit). Used a hand full of times, not for long periods, over 3 years.

It died, on taking it apart, some of the electronics inside had swelled up..

I reckon it cost me £50 per use!

Not going back.

Strange.

I suppose, purely on a statistical level, there will always be one or two unusual incidents.

I stand by my enthusiasm for Fein. They have exceeded my expectations with the AMM700 - I've been impressed with it every single time I've used it.

However, I don't deny that there is always the possibility of ending up with mud on my face - yes, the tool could fail, unexpectedly, but I can honestly say I think you may have been exceptionally unlucky.

As you know, Festool believe in the exact same tool, as well, choosing to have Fein rebadge their Supercut/AMM700 with the Festool name.

Even Hilti powertools fail, occasionally - it's just that they build-in a huge margin to cover the cost of providing exceptional repairs, servicing, etc., so they retain a good reputation even when their tools fail. In other words, no powertool manufacturer on planet earth makes 100% perfect products.

bobski

Strange.

I suppose, purely on a statistical level, there will always be one or two unusual incidents.

I stand by my enthusiasm for Fein. They have exceeded my expectations with the AMM700 - I've been impressed with it every single time I've used it.

However, I don't deny that there is always the possibility of ending up with mud on my face - yes, the tool could fail, unexpectedly, but I can honestly say I think you may have been exceptionally unlucky.

As you know, Festool believe in the exact same tool, as well, choosing to have Fein rebadge their Supercut/AMM700 with the Festool name.

Even Hilti powertools fail, occasionally - it's just that they build-in a huge margin to cover the cost of providing exceptional repairs, servicing, etc., so they retain a good reputation even when their tools fail. In other words, no powertool manufacturer on planet earth makes 100% perfect products.

Could be unlucky.

That said, my decorator said he loved his, til the same happened to his - after mine.

But only on one component, so he just soldered a new one on, (part from ebay.)

Still going strong, must have had it 10 years, and he uses it 3 or 4 times a week.