New to plastering need the experience

Members online

In all fairness invest youre money in an electrician course or gas central heating.
To hard of a challenge to come in at your age which many plasterers are wanting to retire at.
As fresh as you think you feel..throwing little walls on is all great but when you throwing rooms on and breathing dust in all day youll wish youll finish retirement what youre doing
If you enjoy it do it as a hobby and for friends and family my advice dont wate your time.

I totally agree with @Formby plastering at least if you get stuck when you have done your course you can look at a manual for the answer or fone a friend, it wont be that easy when you are challenged with different aspects of this trade, so many things to give problems that need sorted on the spot, also you will be asked for instance to drywall be it stud or dot/dab its really not all about skimming there is a shed load of stuff to learn, but to be fair all the best

Sparky is easy peasy to pick up... its a doddle... and probably better money :D I am considering spending 10 minutes to learn it :D

I love it, at 48 though it will kill you....it's killing me at 32.....not to talk down to you but it is so much, much harder on your body than you expect, it shocks me some days how battered I feel. I'm bitter though as done 50m set on a sunday(y)
Oh man up! ;)

I am fortunate in that I saw the light a long time ago, realised that though I think I look and feel like superman, I am the only one! A few years ago I took some management qualifications knowing that they would come in useful when the time comes.....(it’s now)....
My plan is to reduce my “trowel time” in favour of an office based management gig.....so far so good.
My point is .......if I were doing it all again, I’d have taken more qualifications earlier....and I’d have used them earlier too.
My advice to the op is......if you’re serious, then you have to wangle away of gaining experience (probably for free)....if you really want a late career change that will give you a guaranteed income......sparky is the best bet.

No cable I’ve ever seen became unusable just before the sparky was ready to use it.
Good luck.

I.m 42 . And just dropped to 3/4 days a week feel loads better for it . Though I hope to drop on a nice dead end job that gets me bout 350 to 400 a week when I.m bout 50 . Turn up clock in clock out holiday pay will suit me .

I work in steel at the moment , I'm used to aches and pains and hard work , but for me that final finish where it looks great and your customers happy , is a job well done

I'm looking to change career too. I'm a bit younger but I think thats great your up for it. You will be wiser and know no person that doesn't even know you and better off a key board warrior can't dictate your life choices. Id use I'm older but fit as a fiddle as my selling point. Hope you get the support your needing. My partner is an electrician running his own business. He did his apprenticeship in dc Thomson. They make the beano and his boss is his employee retired. He has 4 boys working for him all over the age of 60. Reliable and hard working. No Bombay Monday's. No piss taking.