New in plastering?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date
no not at all havagjo,......on it all the sending,recieving texts,......he went to the van one day to get some beads,watched him constantly checking his phone,

I honestly reckon that the whole mobile phone/social media thing is an addiction like gambling or alcohol. People cannot bear to be separated from them and start to get really stressed if they can't get a signal. It's not just youngsters either, it seems to happen to people in their 40s, although 50s and above don't seem as bad.

I only have the work mobile, which I switch off in the evening and leave in the kitchen. I don't take it on holiday, and leave it in the van if I don't want to be bothered with it. When others notice or I mention it you'd think I had two heads. It's not because "I'm great and they're not" more because I didn't have one until I was in my 30s so it's not 'part of my life' as it is for some.

I honestly reckon that the whole mobile phone/social media thing is an addiction like gambling or alcohol. People cannot bear to be separated from them and start to get really stressed if they can't get a signal. It's not just youngsters either, it seems to happen to people in their 40s, although 50s and above don't seem as bad.

I only have the work mobile, which I switch off in the evening and leave in the kitchen. I don't take it on holiday, and leave it in the van if I don't want to be bothered with it. When others notice or I mention it you'd think I had two heads. It's not because "I'm great and they're not" more because I didn't have one until I was in my 30s so it's not 'part of my life' as it is for some.

I'm going for few quiet pints mate.
Fuuck the world and everything in it xx

no not at all havagjo,......on it all the sending,recieving texts,......he went to the van one day to get some beads,watched him constantly checking his phone,
Lol , Was a joke ......
" Eh? "
Reference to @John j

i have a basic and i mean basic mobile phone,....i do not know how to send a text/have never sent a text/no intrest in sending a text,facebook/twitter etc ,.....anybody knows when they send me a text they wont get a reply,...standing joke working with me,.....my brother got a photo of his pals bar meal one day,,,,whats all that about just dont get it

i have a basic and i mean basic mobile phone,....i do not know how to send a text/have never sent a text/no intrest in sending a text,facebook/twitter etc ,.....anybody knows when they send me a text they wont get a reply,...standing joke working with me,.....my brother got a photo of his pals bar meal one day,,,,whats all that about just dont get it
I like texting with builders and customers , keeps a record of business

@hector @malc @The Hobo think I asked this before but years ago I got told some sites wouldn't let you on if your trowel was covered in shite.. you ever known this

when we were apprentices the plasterer would check your tools at the end of each day and make sure they were all in your tool box nice and clean.
tools were expensive then we would make internal and external tools out of a small piece of copper. wooden hop ups that could be flat packed. wooden stands [dummies] that would fold up. scratchers were made from the spokes from a bicycle wheel.
we would be paid around £35 to float and set a 2 bed bungalow, £65 for a 3 bed semi. we would try to earn about £50 per week. the man in a factory would be on around £20 per week.

when we were apprentices the plasterer would check your tools at the end of each day and make sure they were all in your tool box nice and clean.
tools were expensive then we would make internal and external tools out of a small piece of copper. wooden hop ups that could be flat packed. wooden stands [dummies] that would fold up. scratchers were made from the spokes from a bicycle wheel.
we would be paid around £35 to float and set a 2 bed bungalow, £65 for a 3 bed semi. we would try to earn about £50 per week. the man in a factory would be on around £20 per week.
I can remember £45 for a semi

I can remember £45 for a semi

we thought that we had got a good price on a site for H and C Janes who later became Barrett homes. at the end of the first week we told the foreman to book us in for this plot. he answered you have only done 1 the price i gave you is for the pair !

we thought that we had got a good price on a site for H and C Janes who later became Barrett homes. at the end of the first week we told the foreman to book us in for this plot. he answered you have only done 1 the price i gave you is for the pair !
i can remember seeing a bill,....20 bags of browning,....10.00 quid approx.

i can remember seeing a bill,....20 bags of browning,....10.00 quid approx.
changing the subject pal see your from Carlisle did u ever know a guy called GORDON REARDON used to make mouldings was also a teacher at the tech

changing the subject pal see your from Carlisle did u ever know a guy called GORDON REARDON used to make mouldings was also a teacher at the tech
yes hobo know him well,he is still plastering at 82, and he will continue until he gets to 85 as his brother was 84 when he finally packed in,....top class bloke,helpful/always there for advice,...... i think malc on this forum is 64 and he strikes me the same,....but think about this he was plastering before malc was born,..lots of respect for both,.....personally i just could not be plastering at 82,...dont know how he does it,....i served my time with bernard who worked for him over the years,......oh and he calls it a handboard goes in a right strop otherwise,..touchy subject,....how do you know him

yes hobo know him well,he is still plastering at 82, and he will continue until he gets to 85 as his brother was 84 when he finally packed in,....top class bloke,helpful/always there for advice,...... i think malc on this forum is 64 and he strikes me the same,....but think about this he was plastering before malc was born,..lots of respect for both,.....personally i just could not be plastering at 82,...dont know how he does it,....i served my time with bernard who worked for him over the years,......oh and he calls it a handboard goes in a right strop otherwise,..touchy subject,....how do you know him
way back he made mouldings for me before I was kitted out for it a real gent he had a workshop behind the rail station always got a brew and a pie when I went down once went to his house cant remember where an end terrace I think

way back he made mouldings for me before I was kitted out for it a real gent he had a workshop behind the rail station always got a brew and a pie when I went down once went to his house cant remember where an end terrace I think
where are you based hobo

I'm similar really,
I leave phone in van all day, I’m not on any social media. When I go on holiday or out and about I rarely have it on me, equally I don’t won’t to be bothered with it. I’m 38 so I’m not an oldie neither.