New generation of spreads!!!

Members online

I'm 33. The reality is that put the nicely edited videos aside.. theres nothing feminine bout plastering. It's hard and dirty.. I don't think it would do a woman good, mentally , doing it long term. Just like it wouldn't do a man good to do a traditionally women job..

It might sound sexist but isn't hada few shandys so
It does no one good mentally, which is why spreads are always the nuttiest people on the tools!

But what you’re saying us obviously sexist even though I’m aware you’re not trying to be a dick or owt. We’re all just people and we all have arms and legs capable of graft. The only thing telling us how different we are is our up bringing and the people around us. If you take me, as an individual, and tried to force me into a traditional stereotyped role I’d be utterly miserable. It’s a shame for anyone to tell their daughter they couldn’t or shouldn’t do something because they’re a girl. My dad never did and he’s my favourite person ever.

It does no one good mentally, which is why spreads are always the nuttiest people on the tools!

But what you’re saying us obviously sexist even though I’m aware you’re not trying to be a dick or owt. We’re all just people and we all have arms and legs capable of graft. The only thing telling us how different we are is our up bringing and the people around us. If you take me, as an individual, and tried to force me into a traditional stereotyped role I’d be utterly miserable. It’s a shame for anyone to tell their daughter they couldn’t or shouldn’t do something because they’re a girl. My dad never did and he’s my favourite person ever.

One person's sexism is another person's being realistic jess!

I'm never going to be a midwife!

It is what it is...Some pills are hard to swallow!

Thanks love. I’m actually thinking more and more about all the various things I could make and how much I’d really like a kiln....

Sounds good. I'd struggle to do one thing tbf. I have my plastering phases, tiling phases, kitchen fitting phases, decorating phases blah blah. Each one has helped me become better and appreciate the other.

One person's sexism is another person's being realistic jess!

I'm never going to be a midwife!

It is what it is...Some pills are hard to swallow!

But you’d make an excellent midwife! I’d bet your bedside manner would be second to none!

“Puuusssh! PUSH you lazy bint!!!!! Piss and wind and no crowning head!!!! PUUUUSSSSHHHH!!!! :LOL:

(It’s ok, I’m never going to change everyone’s mind)

But that's the problem jess plasterers that have covered the miles get conditioned to be able to cover the meters which in turns makes them competitive without feel g like they have busted a bpllox to cover there money!

Take @algeeman as an example he will wipe a plot out in a 2/3 days and not feel like he's been under paid...that same message might take a spread from a domestic back ground 2 weeks and would feel robbed and only earn peanuts.

Same amount but 2 different perspectives!

its all down to tecnique my friend.
@scottie5 will agree to this.
i plod around my gauges.
pace myself everyday.
tortioise and hare story.
£1100 1 of our boarders got for tack dab 4 bed house.
all ready loaded on his own 2 a week.
onsite for 7 gone for 2.30.
gymm everyday.
his work is bang on.
never breaks a sweat.
one of our skimmers has a young lad with him.
10 bags of 1 coating a day between them... 2 hits a day.
everday hes gets approx £280.....not bad for 2 hits a day.

i plod around my gauges.
pace myself everyday.
gymm everyday.
his work is bang on.
never breaks a sweat.
I'd love to learn this one coat malarky, need a week or so with you are zombie at some point

@JessThePlasterer i wouldn’t let the undercutting thing get to you too much. It’s a North West thing, every other van is a plasterer! Especially in Wigan.
Keep turning out good work and the work will keep coming in.
I think we all need to think seriously about our futures. This isn’t a job to be doing your whole career regardless of whether you’ve got balls or not. I feel a change coming on! I’m bored out of my mind.

@JessThePlasterer i wouldn’t let the undercutting thing get to you too much. It’s a North West thing, every other van is a plasterer! Especially in Wigan.
Keep turning out good work and the work will keep coming in.
I think we all need to think seriously about our futures. This isn’t a job to be doing your whole career regardless of whether you’ve got balls or not. I feel a change coming on! I’m bored out of my mind.

north west is without a doubt the worst place in the country ive worked.
not just the rates the pathetic way of building.
its rare i get a run on the same site nowadays.
theres no system with house builders up here.
house here there and everywhere.
ive been on 3 different sites in a week.
pisses you off.

S
i plod around my gauges.
pace myself everyday.
gymm everyday.
his work is bang on.
never breaks a sweat.

Agree 100%

Just to add anyone that doesn't learn to 1 coat beadwork on price is F*****g mental.

There's more money in 1 coat skimming even on shite rates than all this shiny machine malarkey mono etc if you get it right!

@JessThePlasterer i love being craziet f**k*r on tools
As for.maternity you can get maternity pay and take another job on and still claim ye maternity . Might be up to a certain amount of hours but you are allowed to do it.

Have ypu gone and got.knocked up before your big day.

As for prices. If your busy put prices up just look after the builders who keep you busy so you always have that security

I’m not sure it’s fair to play the sexist card as I’m not saying women can’t plaster.

Women can play football and to a high level but if England women played England men what would happen?

Anything physical, men have an advantage and that’s just the way it is. Which might be what you’re finding out now with getting undercut as there’s machines like angleeman about..

It’s cool your dad taught you that but I think very often some fathers basically wished they had a son and never come to terms with it.

I’m not sure it’s fair to play the sexist card as I’m not saying women can’t plaster.

Women can play football and to a high level but if England women played England men what would happen?

Anything physical, men have an advantage and that’s just the way it is. Which might be what you’re finding out now with getting undercut as there’s machines like angleeman about..

It’s cool your dad taught you that but I think very often some fathers basically wished they had a son and never come to terms with it.

Totally agree apart from the last paragraph!

You got kids @lurpak . Personally i never preferred a boy or girls as long as they were healthy .

You got kids @lurpak . Personally i never preferred a boy or girls as long as they were healthy .

Yep my boy is 2. I worded it wrong.. If I had a daughter id be exactly the same . It wouldn’t have mattered to me but I was more excited to have a boy, I think that’s normal for a bloke

Yep my boy is 2. I worded it wrong.. If I had a daughter id be exactly the same . It wouldn’t have mattered to me but I was more excited to have a boy, I think that’s normal for a bloke

Think your more protective over daughters .
Though not seen mine for 9 years so missed alot of stress thats comes with teenage girls. Dont know if thats a giod thing or not

Hey you brought it up not me so I’m not playing sexist card. Anyone on here can tell you I don’t bring that s**t up, I’ll respond with my opinion when someone does and it’s in conversation with me. And I won’t begrudge you your opinion either. It doesn’t anger me or anything, I only get pissed off at the trolls that call me a c**t. It’s all good bud.

My dad didn’t teach me, he’s a technical illustrator. He’s just always supported me

Hey you brought it up not me so I’m not playing sexist card. Anyone on here can tell you I don’t bring that s**t up, I’ll respond with my opinion when someone does and it’s in conversation with me. And I won’t begrudge you your opinion either. It doesn’t anger me or anything, I only get pissed off at the trolls that call me a c**t. It’s all good bud.

My dad didn’t teach me, he’s a technical illustrator. He’s just always supported me

I’m really bad with words, didn’t mean to offend.

The vibe I’m getting is you’ve had enough of plastering.. don’t blame you.

The other issue you will have is if one of the two of you is more keen. So ones keen ones fed up that’s a recipe for problems

I’m really bad with words, didn’t mean to offend.

The vibe I’m getting is you’ve had enough of plastering.. don’t blame you.

The other issue you will have is if one of the two of you is more keen. So ones keen ones fed up that’s a recipe for problems
No offence taken. We’re both fed up and starting a new venture together so.... I got 99 problems but my business partner ain’t one!

And why are you drinking shandy’s you big girls blouse! ;):LOL:

No offence taken. We’re both fed up and starting a new venture together so.... I got 99 problems but my business partner ain’t one!

And why are you drinking shandy’s you big girls blouse! ;):LOL:

Ah right how long have you been doing it?

Shandy was actually Stella then vodka n coke x

No offence taken at all bud and you make some interesting points. We price on how long we think the job takes and if we take it easy here and there that is our choice on the day, not reflected in labour cost, and generally down to either Ni with a shoulder impingement or if my elbow flares up. I never try to be billy big b*ll***s because I’ve learnt what pain is. I certainly couldn’t throw on what algee does! Makes my eyes water!
I'm afraid that @zombie is spot on. My son and I work together and we just couldn't compete with the one man bands on smaller jobs.
Also why do you assume that other people are paying the same for materials as you?

Been in a crisis for a while mate! Nah it’s not all bad but I’m thinking about the future. I’m 31 and whilst that certainly isnt old it’s not young young either in terms of trying to sort my s**t out. And as a woman I’m thinking what if I have kids? That seems like a nightmare as a self employed plasterer! I’ll get the shitty state maternit. I wouldn’t be able to work up until the last min like other women can.... stuff to think about
stuff to think about jess as you say,..... but you are thinking about it ,..sensible,... only here once its not a dress rehersal,.... i am 58 and honestly the years have just flown by,

I'm afraid that @zombie is spot on. My son and I work together and we just couldn't compete with the one man bands on smaller jobs.
Also why do you assume that other people are paying the same for materials as you?
I wouldn’t assume they’re paying the same, everyone gets their materials from different places and everyone adds on a little bit. I just didn’t see how it could be “considerably “ different. We buy from wickes and only add on a small bit

U
stuff to think about jess as you say,..... but you are thinking about it ,..sensible,... only here once its not a dress rehersal,.... i am 58 and honestly the years have just flown by,
sure I was 21 last week . Scary how fast life goes

Dread to think what GPS pays for his multi, rumour has it there’s gold shavings in his bags and it trowels itself up.

But that's the problem jess plasterers that have covered the miles get conditioned to be able to cover the meters which in turns makes them competitive without feel g like they have busted a bpllox to cover there money!

Take @algeeman as an example he will wipe a plot out in a 2/3 days and not feel like he's been under paid...that same message might take a spread from a domestic back ground 2 weeks and would feel robbed and only earn peanuts.

Same amount but 2 different perspectives!

I always work out cheap on big jobs as I’m used to putting big mixes on so can turn a lot of work out cheaper than most? But small jobs don’t really interest me as I can make far more cash going to my normal everyday job. Usually I don’t do many private jobs as by the time I take my tax off my normal day I can make more money than what the public want to pay and I don’t have to go shopping for materials or load my van for a specific job :)

Shame site work doesn't go back to houses being floated again .then I could clean up and call it a draw early .

i love float and set but its all going tape and join, my joddy only comes out a few times a year these days.

I’m finding quoting frustrating at the moment. Getting undercut left right and centre. And I don’t understand how these people are doing it. Just quoted an extension and she went with someone else because their material price was ‘considerably lower ‘.

I understand the maths of labour being cheaper ie, some cabbage is willing to bust a gut for nowt. But I don’t see how their material cost can be considerably lower??
Undercutting happens to everyone and anywhere. It's a sort of boom time, just pull up at your local Tesco express in the morning have a sit there for an hour, you'll see trades who you never seen before. Some with new shiny vans, some works out of an estate, they all decided to give it a go. Even it's a boom time I get 4-5 calls a month if I need extra man, or do I have anything what I can pass on etc.
Materials more or less the same for everyone, but then on occasions you over order to certain jobs, which gets paid so you have gear knocking about close to end of date for next to nothing so you sacrifice the materials price to get the job to keep you busy.
I certainly wouldn't like to see you plastering when you preggers.

Always makes me laugh, just because you don’t get a job morons always assume it’s because someone else was cheaper, I’ve got news for folks maybe just maybe they didn’t fuc King like you.
True that

Undercutting happens to everyone and anywhere. It's a sort of boom time, just pull up at your local Tesco express in the morning have a sit there for an hour, you'll see trades who you never seen before. Some with new shiny vans, some works out of an estate, they all decided to give it a go. Even it's a boom time I get 4-5 calls a month if I need extra man, or do I have anything what I can pass on etc.
Materials more or less the same for everyone, but then on occasions you over order to certain jobs, which gets paid so you have gear knocking about close to end of date for next to nothing so you sacrifice the materials price to get the job to keep you busy.
I certainly wouldn't like to see you plastering when you preggers.
Just to clarify.... I’m not pregnant :frenetico: