Nela Venetian Trowel review

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJack

Evening. After a torment of trying to get a review video on here i have given up and just putting the written version on. Its a combination of me not understanding time limits on new you tube accounts and also being a bit of a useless twit. Danny even offered to post the video if i could get a link for him and I managed to fail at that too. on the vid was a chat about the trowels and also a demo on how to create a sample board for those asking a few questions on how to go about it in some other posts.

On to the Nela.

Ryan @Plasterers1StopShop sent me 3 different sized Nela Venetian trowels to try out and see what I thought. On first looks they are impressive. Heavier than what im used to but I liked the weight. Seemed sturdy somehow. Probably down to the BikoGrip cork resin handle which is the same as the handles on the premium and s*p*r*lex plastering trowels. They arrived in the usual top notch packaging well wrapped and each trowel comes with plastic edge protectors. The trowels come well engineered and seem slightly pre worn. This comes to my first negative point. Im not sure how to explain this with words (damn video explained it well). To overexaggerate the point the edge of the trowel isnt completely straight. Its worn through the engineering process so much that when you use the trowel edge on a finish it leaves two lines on at the top and bottom points of the trowel. This is very difficult to see to the eye but when trying it out on a finishing coat of stucco polished plaster it leaves big unwanted lines. I think the best way to describe this is if you put the trowel edge against a flat surface, the toe and heel of the edge touch and there is a gap in the middle. The gap is microns thin but makes all the difference. I think to eliminate this the trowel shouldnt be worn so much at manufacture level. All other trowels I have used come without any engineering to the edge and are fresh out of the box.

Second point would be the rigidity. The trowel is so firm and has limited flexibility. Maybe making the face thinner would help this or reduce the length of the shaft.

The third is a minor point but I can see the rivits on the face of the trowel. This might be neither here not there but most other trowels for venetian work are made so that the rivits cant be seen.

I wouldnt use this trowel in current condition for anything thin like polished plaster. It does work well with a thicker marmorino though. Unless this trowel is created just for thicker texture venetian plaster in which case my review is pants and Nela have done a great job. Ive played about with the trowels on sample boards and also tried them on a polished plaster job last week. I am on another polished plaster job tomorrow but basing out the first coat in marmorino naturale so will be able to put the Nela through a few metres on marm.

I dont wish to seem to being so negative as I like what Nela have done I just think a few refinements will bring along a very good trowel.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mate,

Great review, as we said this product is in the early stages of development. I will pass your Feedback on and hopefully we can have a great Venetian Trowel on the Market soon

rob get 2 strips of board sit the toe on one and heel on the other. get a bit of lath 6" long. hold it upright right in front of where the tang attaches to the shank and tw@t it with a hammer. that should sort the shape out

Nice rewview mate, thats what a review should be, helps the manufacturer tweak the trowel.. no good saying its great just cus it was free... very good review..

Apologies for the poor video footage. I was holding the phone in one hand while putting marmorino on with the other. Couldn't see the screen.

copy the url and then when you go to post on here there is a small logo second from the end. looks like a film reel. click that and paste the link into the box that appears

@ghughes86 yes mate. I go all over. Warrington isn't that far for me. Give me a call if needed 07854803257

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.