Nela trowels.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBR

Hello folks.
Can somebody tell me what the difference is between the Nela Premium and the s*p*r*lex trowels apart from the price? What in your opinion is the better of the two for smooth finished work? Have seen them in this sites shop and was wondering if any good. Have heard the Marshaltown and Tyzack trowels are good , are the Nela's on a par or better than these 2 makes?
I am not a Plasterer and don't pretend to be , just a guy who likes to try diy on my own home.
Many thanks
Paul

Premium is for laying on and s*p*r*lex is for finishing,mt and tyzack are good trowels also,its all personal preferance on trowels.this debate could go on and on and on and on!lol

Hello folks.
Can somebody tell me what the difference is between the Nela Premium and the s*p*r*lex trowels apart from the price? What in your opinion is the better of the two for smooth finished work? Have seen them in this sites shop and was wondering if any good. Have heard the Marshaltown and Tyzack trowels are good , are the Nela's on a par or better than these 2 makes?
I am not a Plasterer and don't pretend to be , just a guy who likes to try diy on my own home.
Many thanks
Paul

Personally I think the premium trowel is great for laying on and the s*p*r*lex is only for finishing. The premium trowel is as good as anything else (if not better than some) on the market. Love rendering with it:RpS_thumbsup:

Hello folks.
Many thanks
Paul

there are a few vids on you tube showing the tools in use

[video=youtube_share;cWmI7HEAjT8]http://youtu.be/cWmI7HEAjT8[/video]

Ive done a couple but not as good quality as @cassie above, plus I dont have storm trooper trousers :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell you what you guys make this look so easy. How the hell do you manage it? Practise ? College training ? Apprenticeship? Wish I could get mine to look as good.
One question guys ? When you mix a bag of multi how long do you have to get it on the wall before it starts to go off?

all of the above pal... full bag, you have about 20 mins before its going ... just mix half bags , if your inexperienced... doesnt take a plasterer long to put a full bag on, but dont go too mad, do what you can manage at a time

Tell you what you guys make this look so easy. How the hell do you manage it? Practise ? College training ? Apprenticeship? Wish I could get mine to look as good.
One question guys ? When you mix a bag of multi how long do you have to get it on the wall before it starts to go off?

just seen your in Aberdeen mate, lived there 12 years, out in inverurie...

Hi cassie. Well i'm not too far from there,over the Tyrebagger in Bucksburn beside the airport. New a guy who stayed in Inverurie when I was with the Hydro board. A right country neep he was, but a guy that would do anything for you

Reactions: Azz
Hello folks.
Many thanks
Paul

If I were you I would get a Marshalltown Duraflex 13" trowel.

They never seem to get a mention on here, but are a superb compromise of flexibility & durability.
It lays on flat and finishes up nicely from new with no rattling or rippling normally associated with unworn trowels.

Nela/Refina flexy trowels are just way too fragile for anything but tickling finish with. Good at what they do, but can't take any abuse whatsoever.
I can't think of any other trade (brickie, decorator etc) that has to tolerate such fragile tat as a plasterer with a s*p*r*lex trowel.
Tools should be robust and not fold in half when dropped from waist height, or put a whopping ding in it (as happened to me on Friday) because I forgot the radiator screws had been left in the wall.
My first Refina even got nicked badly applying finish to some very roughly applied blue grit - Applying plaster to a pre-plastering substrate FFS!

Anyhow, get yourself a Duraflex or even a Ragni as they soon break in. Avoid a premium trowel (unless you have 10 years to break it in) and as for a s*p*r*lex .... I have seen the state of too many diy'ers trowels in the past. :RpS_wink:

Why are you laying on with s*p*r*lex @DMA ........ not deisgned for laying on

I put mine on with a leather handled refina s/s... once flattened its s*p*r*lex all the way and next to no water to finish the set

Using a s*p*r*lex to lay on is asking for trouble imo

Why are you laying on with s*p*r*lex @DMA ........ not deisgned for laying on

I put mine on with a leather handled refina s/s... once flattened its s*p*r*lex all the way and next to no water to finish the set

Using a s*p*r*lex to lay on is asking for trouble imo

I don't, I slap it on with a Marshalltown!
I would kill a poncy
s*p*r*lex in a week if it had to take the same abuse as the MT.
I am about to start my 4th bendy trowel in 2 years (3 refinas & a nela) they have either kinked or fallen apart.
Nice little earner selling a trowel every 5 months when they should last 5 years.
And they will keep on getting away with it unless people speak up.
I'll post a pic of my latest disappointment if not later then tomorrow.

I would kill a poncy
I am about to start my 4th bendy trowel in 2 years (3 refinas & a nela) they have either kinked or fallen apart.
Nice little earner selling a trowel every 5 months when they should last 5 years.

Have you read any posts about the warranty if it falls apart?

We stick to our word

I second coat and finish with my Refina superted and no problems at all in fact it makes skimming a doddle and much too easy :RpS_biggrin:

perhaps the last 30 houses i have done laying on with mine are in trouble then :RpS_sneaky:
Ive no idea mate. are they ? the s*p*r*lex is designed to trowel up with, if people want to use it any other way, thats their choice, their trowel.. but cant really mump when it '' breaks '' must be difficult for the manufacturer to prove its only been used for trowelling up though hey... I know a mate of mine uses his for laying on, thats his choice, I only use mine to trowel up...

if your that worried about it breaking why buy one ? why not stick to the marshalltown or tyzac tried and tested, as i said mine is used for laying on, thus far hasn't broken or gone out of shape, so making statements that they can not be used for laying on is bollox as per my earlier post

I would kill a poncy

Sorry the like was purely accidental, if your managing to ruin all those superflexes while doing nothing other then trowelling up with them, then I think the problem may not be the trowel.
They must serve you your beer in a plastic beaker down your local rather then risk letting you loose with a glass.

if your that worried about it breaking why buy one ? why not stick to the marshalltown or tyzac tried and tested, as i said mine is used for laying on, thus far hasn't broken or gone out of shape, so making statements that they can not be used for laying on is bollox as per my earlier post
mate. i couldnt care less what you do with your trowel, but the thread Title is '' nela trowels'' and nela only say the s/f is used for trowelling up, not laying on... thats fact...

@SpankySouthport was using his (Nela s*p*r*lex) on Saturday on a job I was helping him with! I using the Refina superted and needless to say all his fell off and cracked but mine looked perfect !!! :rolleyes)

:RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.