Needing some help with a "fancy" trowel

G

GeneDM

Hello everyone,
First, I'd like to say that I am not a professional plasterer, just a huge enthusiast. The other day I was given a 14" s*p*r*lex trowel, but I have a question. I don't want to do something stupid, so I decided to ask for help. Is it okay to use the s*p*r*lex once I've applied and flattened the second coat? I know I should never lay on with it. I have a 13" Marshalltown for that purpose. Basically that's it, I am not going to bore you with lots of unimportant stuff, guys. I've never used a s*p*r*lex before, so that's the reason I am posting this thread.

Thank you.

Thank you, Dropsalot. This is my first flexible one, so I don't want to ruin it. Thanks again.

Hello everyone,
First, I'd like to say that I am not a professional plasterer, just a huge enthusiast. The other day I was given a 14" s*p*r*lex trowel, but I have a question. I don't want to do something stupid, so I decided to ask for help. Is it okay to use the s*p*r*lex once I've applied and flattened the second coat? I know I should never lay on with it. I have a 13" Marshalltown for that purpose. Basically that's it, I am not going to bore you with lots of unimportant stuff, guys. I've never used a s*p*r*lex before, so that's the reason I am posting this thread.

Thank you.
That should be fine pal. Take a look at these videos for some pointers.

Well, I didn't mean to upset some of the members. Some people have to understand that there are lots of beginners/intermediate people out there. All of us can't be/don't want to be professionals.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Suck my scrotum were not telling!!
images-1.jpeg

The flexy trowels are best used once things have firmed up....

In my opinion its best to master just using a standard trowel first that way you can understand the principles and then can see if you need a flexy trowel

Well, I didn't mean to upset some of the members. Some people have to understand that there are lots of beginners/intermediate people out there. All of us can't be/don't want to be professionals.
Don't be offended gene ,it like getting blood out of a stone sometimes! Your doing right with what you say , just experiment and find what works for you and when you are done ....don't forget the pics for us to see (y)

no dont worry about that :D

The forum is here to help those that have questions

no dont worry about that :D

The forum is here to help those that have questions
I was always told that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.....then i read some of the ones that are asked on here and i changed my mind.

I was always told that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.....then i read some of the ones that are asked on here and i changed my mind.
Do you actually expect novices and DIYers to know everything about plastering or all the new tools that come out? You are calling me stupid because I asked a question about a trowel. There are millions of things you don't know/can't do and plenty of tools you have no idea how to use. That puts both of us, and pretty much everyone else, in the "ignorant" boat.

Do you actually expect novices and DIYers to know everything about plastering or all the new tools that come out? You are calling me stupid because I asked a question about a trowel. There are millions of things you don't know/can't do and plenty of tools you have no idea how to use. That puts both of us, and pretty much everyone else, in the "ignorant" boat.
Calm down love .... My post did not mention you or any one else it was just my opinion on some of the questions that get asked by the do it ya self'ers and some of the so called plasterers that post on here

"ignorant" boat haha.....
is there a "horny"boat or a "tuesday afternoon few jars boat" i can hop into ??

There was a time when we did not have the internet to run to every time we came up against a problem we had to either find out by trial and error or use your brain and a bit of common sense. but now it seems that most just are just to lazy and they think that other people will give them the answers they want and when they get so many conflicting ones it must just confuse them even more. I think that half of the questions posted on here from Diy'ers are really people trading as plasterers who have not got a clue what they are doing it and think they can do an apprenticeship through this forum.

Why not do a course 2 days should make you a top spread if you have £1500 to spend ?? :inocente:

Because I already have a job, and I don't want to be a top spread. I will leave that to you. I totally get you. Nobody has to share their experience with diy-ers, other plasterers, beginners, etc. I personally think that asking someone more experienced for advice shouldn't be offensive to them but that's just my opinion. Oh, I assure you that I am not trading myself as a plasterer, beader. The fact that someone works as a full-time plasterer doesn't make him a good one.

Please stop upsetting every one GeneDM s*p*r*lex trowels are a touchy subject. Ask RWF67 YouTube pro.