My plastered ceiling nightmare.

Members online

Stevie G.

I'll try and keep this a s short as I can.
I live on the 7th floor of a 12 story block of flats and had water come through the ceiling last year when the person on the 10th floor had their sink overflow. I've had three similar incidents in the past 5 years.
I made a claim through the council's insurance and the firm assigned a contractor to remove the artexed ceiling and replaster it. It was six months before work started and heaters had been applied to the ceiling for 8 hours a day for two weeks.
The job was done by two different crews. The first pair took down the artex and prepped the ceiling for the second pair and there was about a week gap before the second pair plastered.
After plastering it looked fine until, after about three days, a section of the plaster came away from the ceiling. This was made good then the same thing happened again to an adjacent section. This was also made good. Same again a third time. It then appeared to be fine.
Fast forward two months and the plaster has once again come away in a different section and is getting worse with bits progressively dropping off (please see attached photos).
IMG_6210 copy.JPG
IMG_6212 copy.JPG
IMG_6239 copy.JPG
Photo 2a copy.JPG
Photo 2bJPG copy.JPG

The insurance company are stating that the cause is spalling which strikes me as a nonsense. If the problem of the plaster coming away is spalling, then why was there no similar issue with the artexed ceiling?
The insurance company are now convinced that the ceiling can't be plastered and want to fit a false ceiling which I think is unnecessary. To be honest I get the impression that the initial prep work wasn't up to much and that's why the plaster is coming away.
I've spoken to the people on the 8th and 9th floors who were obviously flooded to a worse degree than I was and they don't have the same issue with their ceilings.
If anyone can give a view on this please it would be greatly appreciated.

I live on the 7th floor of a 12 story block of flats and had water come through the ceiling last year when the person on the 10th floor had their sink overflow. I've had three similar incidents in the past 5 years.
I made a claim through the council's insurance and the firm assigned a contractor to remove the artexed ceiling and replaster it. It was six months before work started and heaters had been applied to the ceiling for 8 hours a day for two weeks.
The job was done by two different crews. The first pair took down the artex and prepped the ceiling for the second pair and there was about a week gap before the second pair plastered.
After plastering it looked fine until, after about three days, a section of the plaster came away from the ceiling. This was made good then the same thing happened again to an adjacent section. This was also made good. Same again a third time. It then appeared to be fine.
Fast forward two months and the plaster has once again come away in a different section and is getting worse with bits progressively dropping off (please see attached photos).
View attachment 68373View attachment 68374View attachment 68375View attachment 68376View attachment 68377
The insurance company are stating that the cause is spalling which strikes me as a nonsense. If the problem of the plaster coming away is spalling, then why was there no similar issue with the artexed ceiling?
The insurance company are now convinced that the ceiling can't be plastered and want to fit a false ceiling which I think is unnecessary. To be honest I get the impression that the initial prep work wasn't up to much and that's why the plaster is coming away.
I've spoken to the people on the 8th and 9th floors who were obviously flooded to a worse degree than I was and they don't have the same issue with their ceilings.

Wrong prep. Too much suction causing plaster to delaminate.

Does the ceiling flex much when your upstairs neighbour walks on it?

Can you post a close-up (6 inches away) pic of the unpainted face (the face that used to be bonded to the ceiling) of one of the flaked chunks of plaster, please?

Can you also post a close-up pic (6 inches away) of the 'naked' part of the ceiling? (You've already posted pics of this part of the ceiling, but I mean really close-up, so that the photo clearly shows the nature of the surface).

View attachment 68373View attachment 68374View attachment 68375View attachment 68376View attachment 68377

looks like It's piss wet through mate

f**k**g idiots on here again giving stupid advise

rip it down find out where the water is coming from

What is in boxes 1, 2, 3 & 4?

The plaster chunks from each failed attempt, obviously!

img_6239-copy-jpg.68375

Fast forward two months and the plaster has once again come away

Thanks for all the relevant replies, they're greatly appreciated.

MakeItSmooth: Here are the pictures taken closer to the ceiling / inside of the plaster in high resolution.

Monkey Boy: Futurama boxed set.

Attachments

• IMG_7280.JPG
    IMG_7280.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7279.JPG
    IMG_7279.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7278.JPG
    IMG_7278.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7275.JPG