my builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

rycarr

Is anyone using this site just signed up showed interest on a couple of jobs getting charged just to get shortlisted though don't know if its a waste of time and money? Just started out self employed had been quiet but got lots of domestic work now just through facebook so is this a waste of time and money £5 for a number that might lead to a job.....maybe should set one of these organisations up myself easy money!

Save your money. Get some good quality cards printed up and get them in some local village shops. Use your head and consider how other companies might try to find work. Paying to be undercut by plebs isn't a good career choice

Word of mouth will always be the best way to get work and like said get some cards printed n get them everywhere chuck um on bar in boozer cafes anywhere u get a lot of other trades everyone knows someone in building game it's getting that 1 job with the right person that can lead up to many more (as long as your any good of coarse!!) :RpS_thumbsup:

Get yourself a website and look at advertising locally.
Most people try to employ someone near to do their plastering when they can.
Set a budget you can afford and spend it wisely. Facebook of course is free.
Always do a good clean job and the recommendations will soon follow.

Most the jobs I've had so far have been from posting my ad on local facebook selling pages, local paper got 1 job off in 5 months so not gonna bother with that again, had a couple off freeindex good thing is a lot of my jobs have led to more work with same clients and been quite big jobs recently better than the odd little bathroom. Did one last week the client had been let down by 2 other plasterers probably because the job was so small basically just wanted a cupboard plastering but he gave me twice the amount I quoted just cos he was happy I turned up and it was the weekend then he asked me to come back and do some rendering for him and has passed my card on to some friends of his that will need work done soon.

Is anyone using this site just signed up showed interest on a couple of jobs getting charged just to get shortlisted though don't know if its a waste of time and money? Just started out self employed had been quiet but got lots of domestic work now just through facebook so is this a waste of time and money £5 for a number that might lead to a job.....maybe should set one of these organisations up myself easy money!

you have hit the nail on the head

Best way of doing it, is skip 'builders' out, anyone can call them selves a builder. Get in with architects they get the cream of jobs, they will use you on every project they do once they build up a rap our/reputation with them, they won't quibble over the price etc there fussy to work with but your getting paid accordingly.

Best way of doing it, is skip 'builders' out, anyone can call them selves a builder. Get in with architects they get the cream of jobs, they will use you on every project they do once they build up a rap our/reputation with them, they won't quibble over the price etc there fussy to work with but your getting paid accordingly.

Sound advice that, google Architects in your county and you will be amazed how many there are. I did a mail shoot (sent out 115 letters) picked up 3 fantastic clients off the back of it .That was about 4 year ago, might do another one next year but to be honest my website is performing better than I'd expected. Great investment

So true ,we did one that went into the grand designs mag ,from that, the same architect has put us forward for another project , hate working for bloody builders ,direct to the customer every time

Funny enough I just recently joined MyBuilder, I got shortlisted for a job and got it today. It cost me £2 to get shortlisted and I priced the job at £300.
Can anyone tell me what happens regarding paying the shortlisting fee? I'm sure I've not given them any payment details, my references only cleared last week so I'm new to it all.

i get work from mybuilder. its a good site. ive had free trials with others in the past but they were w4nk. mybuilders fees are a couple of quid. look at how many others have been shortlisted. if its three or four and a few days ago, leave it. if you're the first one, take it and be the first to quote. same as any other quote. for about forty quid worth of fees over the past three or four months ive had a few grands worth of work directly, and then all the repeat work after that and referrals to friends and family etc. whole new customer base. and if you're a sneaky fcuker you can even post your own job under a false name and get a few local plasterers contacting you telling what they would charge and what they charge a day :RpS_wink: only problem is that most people want the work asap. ive fitted most of them in on a saturday. had two or three this week for quotes but declined because dont have the time. into december at the moment.

to sum up, most of them are hyped and crap, but this one is alright.

Funny enough I just recently joined MyBuilder, I got shortlisted for a job and got it today. It cost me £2 to get shortlisted and I priced the job at £300.
Can anyone tell me what happens regarding paying the shortlisting fee? I'm sure I've not given them any payment details, my references only cleared last week so I'm new to it all.

look on the dashboard. click invoices and it will be there. its payment within seven days. you put your card details in and they take payment. after that its just one click payment.

nice return. 300 quid for 2 quid. plus any ongoing work from friends and family. they now know a plasterer. unless your works crap then they'll leave **** feedback and youll have to change your trading name or join the legion

look on the dashboard. click invoices and it will be there. its payment within seven days. you put your card details in and they take payment. after that its just one click payment.

nice return. 300 quid for 2 quid. plus any ongoing work from friends and family. they now know a plasterer. unless your works crap then they'll leave **** feedback and youll have to change your trading name or join the legion

Cheers for that, I'll pay it now. I've had no complaints as of yet about my work but there's still time!!!

@Archer I've been using Mybuilder for a few months now and I think it's ok. They recently dropped their quarterly membership fee and just work from shortlist fees which, compared to the other site that you get 'Rated' on by 'People' is a lot lot cheaper. Like you, I have done small shortlist fees but ended up quoting and winning jobs that over £200 so not a bad ratio considering. With regards paying fees, you have to pay them either manually by card or you can set up an automatic payment, you're normally invoiced on a Monday.

Personally, I prefer it and have had quite a bit of work off them, just a shame the customers don't always leave a rating but just a gentle reminder here and there doesn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're a sneaky fcuker you can even post your own job under a false name and get a few local plasterers contacting you telling what they would charge and what they charge a day :RpS_wink: .

I did this just out of interest I'm quite new to the area and reckon I've been doing myself over I charge a day rate I want that's reasonable for me not greedy but not cheapening the trade add in materials, after being used to a fixed wage when pricing my own jobs I've been a bit unsure because I need the customers to get the client base and get a rep

Status
Not open for further replies.