Mummy's boy who just cant hack it!

Members online

I just started drinking again after 4 and a half years completely t total. Best decision I ever made to have a drink again, in moderation though :birra:

I was a binge drinker from 15-28 smashed most weekends, when my Mrs was pregnant with our first child I set myself a challenge to not drink for the 9months. When our daughter was born I went to the garage to buy some beers but after 9 months without it I lost my thirst and didn't drink them. 4 years I lasted without any craving but then I started dreaming about drinking again, so that's what I did! 4 or 5 drinks is my limit now though. Enjoy in moderation.

Why did you give up for that long?
Just read your earlier post about aa. Yes the social aspect of not going out was what I missed the most, and if I did go out I found it hard to relax. You don't realise how irritating drunk people are until you don't drink. I was drinking to the point of getting anxiety and panic attacks. It was hard to stop after a couple, but I'm married now with children and I can control myself.

That's the key. If you can drink in moderation keep at it. Some of us not wired that way. Ive got two kids and didn't want them to have a dad like mine. I was serious binger, worked on a trading floor in my 20's and bought into the whole scene, complete chaos, ended up collapsing in the office, ambulance, heart problems etc etc all caused by excess partying. The alcoholic isn't just the wino on the street, it's simply a person that when they take one drink, can't then stop. Plenty of us...Plenty that never face up to it.

I don't drink much these days... maybe a couple in the week but I prefer the social side but also like waking up with a clear ish head

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I quit too, after my 1st was born.
For 2.5 yrs.
Was binge drinking as well. Went back with a clearer head about it all.
Felt myself slipping into old ways again recently, or I guess, would've found it easy to slip into old ways, so knocked drinking in the week on the head, worst for me is having it in the house. More a boredom thing with me, which is where the danger lies. So no drinking at home now, which had the desired effect, thankfully.
It's a very easy road to go down I think, it kinda creeps up on you. Pays to be honest with yourself I think.
Clear heads are very nice too @Danny!!!

That's what alcohol can do. It creeps very gradually. Believe me I tried every way to control it and we laugh about it in AA, 4 beers only, only drink piss weak like carling,only drink stella but just a few, only drink at home, only drink when out, only drink beer and no wine, only wine and no beer. Only drink Friday and Saturday, only drink Saturday. If you are an alcoholic (and I didn't know until my first meeting, just knew something was wrong) then all of this I promise you will go out the window and it will creep to Thursday drinking and then Wednesday too and so on. Good thing about AA is that it helps sort all the s**t out in your life, not just the drink, also there's loads of boys in there and we have a crack amongst ourselves. The joy of leaving behind the fear of hurting someone whilst drunk or constant fog of hangover whilst putting on 35m2 ceilings in the summer cannot be underestimated. What is an alcoholic? Is someone who cannot stop when they start drinking. My old man will drink 5 pints on a Sunday followed by 3 bottles of red,but he stops after this, he is a heavy drinker, but not an alcoholic, girl in our group drinks once a month but can't stop when she starts, and ends up in a hedge, she is an alcoholic. Anyone struggling can PM me.

That was me in my teens and early 20s sometimes but defo never in my 30s. To much responsibility.

TBH, I wouldn't have had him anywhere near site, but he's a mate and nowhere to stay so took him in for awhile. Terrible drink, drug, s*x and Internet addiction and skint, homeless so helping him out abit. Told him though, any more shite he's getting chased because I can't be putting up with lazy cnuts.
Are you really helping him or feeding his addictions. Give him a chance. No time for leeches

I haven't drank in 5 years at least ive been drunk twice I reckon, I had a few bottles here and therein my youth but wasn't ever for me, my mother was a alcoholic and its horrible seeing first hand what it does to people. Alcholics are the nicest people in the world without alcohol but no one gives them a chance.

The generation below me don't drink... pubs are getting harder to full as the young people don't want to go out to them....

It sucks really as the pub is the heart of the community especially in small villages and towns

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes. hear more and more that greater numbers of youth not taking to drink, very gradually being found out but will take several more generations to see a real drop. I'm 42 and most mates understand and are cool with it. My parents and their generation really can't handle it, but water off a ducks back for young uns.

I remember when I first started on a site back in 71 and the plasterers would come into site not to work but go to the pub on a Monday, they were mullered turning up and lad of 21 had the DT's badly first thing in the morning.
Nobody turned a blind eye then, pub at liquid lunch time then come back arguments and the odd fight.
How things have changed.

Reactions: CM1
I remember when I first started on a site back in 71 and the plasterers would come into site not to work but go to the pub on a Monday, they were mullered turning up and lad of 21 had the DT's badly first thing in the morning.
Nobody turned a blind eye then, pub at liquid lunch time then come back arguments and the odd fight.
How things have changed.

scaffolders still do that... use to have a sweepstake how many of them would come to work on monday with black eyes :D

That's what alcohol can do. It creeps very gradually. Believe me I tried every way to control it and we laugh about it in AA, 4 beers only, only drink piss weak like carling,only drink stella but just a few, only drink at home, only drink when out, only drink beer and no wine, only wine and no beer. Only drink Friday and Saturday, only drink Saturday. If you are an alcoholic (and I didn't know until my first meeting, just knew something was wrong) then all of this I promise you will go out the window and it will creep to Thursday drinking and then Wednesday too and so on. Good thing about AA is that it helps sort all the s**t out in your life, not just the drink, also there's loads of boys in there and we have a crack amongst ourselves. The joy of leaving behind the fear of hurting someone whilst drunk or constant fog of hangover whilst putting on 35m2 ceilings in the summer cannot be underestimated. What is an alcoholic? Is someone who cannot stop when they start drinking. My old man will drink 5 pints on a Sunday followed by 3 bottles of red,but he stops after this, he is a heavy drinker, but not an alcoholic, girl in our group drinks once a month but can't stop when she starts, and ends up in a hedge, she is an alcoholic. Anyone struggling can PM me.
Wish I could get my brother to go.
He's depressed, an alcoholic, self harmer...
Just recently got divorced because of it, which hasn't helped either.
Thought he'd hit rock bottom when he crashed his van recently driving to get food at 3am.
Still convincing himself he doesn't have a problem...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

f**k**g hell. If he is self harming I don't think drink is the sole reason, that could be just another form of self harming.
Think you need to get him to a counsellor pronto.
Mrs works in that area, if he is self harming getting him to stop drinking isn't gonna solve too much....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f**k**g hell. If he is self harming I don't think drink is the sole reason, that could be just another form of self harming.
Think you need to get him to a counsellor pronto.
Mrs works in that area, if he is self harming getting him to stop drinking isn't gonna solve too much....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes getting him to even leave the room he's staying in is hard enough. Sometimes he'll just stay in there for 3-4 days, barricades the door, won't talk.
Other days he gets up goes to work as if all is ok.
He has appointments with a counsellor, sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. We've all tried lots of different approaches... Nicey nicey, tough, angry, calm... Guess until he makes the decision to help himself no one can really do anything. Just sad as been going on for years and years and is such a waste

Sometimes getting him to even leave the room he's staying in is hard enough. Sometimes he'll just stay in there for 3-4 days, barricades the door, won't talk.
Other days he gets up goes to work as if all is ok.
He has appointments with a counsellor, sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. We've all tried lots of different approaches... Nicey nicey, tough, angry, calm... Guess until he makes the decision to help himself no one can really do anything. Just sad as been going on for years and years and is such a waste

If he stops the drink his mood will lift almost instantly providing he's not in the DT's bracket which could be fatal and would need help coming off gradually. Get him to AA if you can, he'll meet loads of people in the same boat (and worse believe it or not)