MT extra lite carbon or SS

John j

Mono Don
Buying one more trowel as a back up more then owt its gonna be xtra lite but not sure on carbon or ss . Two questions. 1 is the carbon as flexi as the ss . 2 if its just back up would ss be better so its not sat rusting

Buying one more trowel as a back up more then owt its gonna be xtra lite but not sure on carbon or ss . Two questions. 1 is the carbon as flexi as the ss . 2 if its just back up would ss be better so its not sat rusting
If it's a backup then definitely SS.
Personally I'd always want to have a nicely worn in trowel as a backup if it's not a Permashape.

Last edited:
I was thinking about doing the exact thing yesterday i want to give the carbon ago though see what the fuss is about ive broken in the nela premium which is a really nice trowel now. But going the have a crack with the mt extra lite.

So is carbon as flexi as ss . Still can' believe a sold old xtra light to lad. It was covered in dot in back of van .Don't even know where it came from but its a beautiful trowel .

If you want a perm I’ll check my garage, I’m sure there’s one still in there somewhere collecting dust,

Tbh I’d rather give it a spread than chuck it in bin when I clear out

Sold 2 . Think I.m gonna call in to toolstation and have a look at carbon. If blades as flexi as ss I.ll get one

Just ordered xtra lite carbon . Free delivery so why not. That' it now got two trowel that I hope see me into retirement

Carbon all day long mate. Have a couple of ss trowels and don’t rate them for finishing at all. I have all different types of trowels but Just my opinion you can’t beat a broken in carbon, but then I am old school when it comes to trowels.

Carbon all day long mate. Have a couple of ss trowels and don’t rate them for finishing at all. I have all different types of trowels but Just my opinion you can’t beat a broken in carbon, but then I am old school when it comes to trowels.
Love me little nella carbon

never used carbon... I want to one day but not had the chance yet

I am not old school, but I tend to agree with the old school spreads who say that carbon steel can be better for finishing. (especially if you don't want to use modern stuff) Carbon can be harder and usually holds an edge better than stainless steel. Heat treatment will be a huge factor and I have no idea what MT trowels' HRC rating is. Don't worry about rusting. Take care of it and it will take care of you. I am using Kraft Elite trowels at the moment (Stainless steel) and I am pretty happy with them.

Last edited:
I know that carbon steel gets a lot sharper than stainless steel...

That's one of the reasons sushi chefs use carbon steel knives. Carbon steel gets wicked sharp (because of its hardness) and it's easier to resharpen. Saying that the only advantage of stainless steel is the fact that it doesn't rust isn't far from the truth. I think that a carbon steel trowel made by a reputable manufacturer will be a fantastic addition to any plasterer's tool bag/toolbox/bucket/whatever they are into. If rust is a problem, you can always force a patina. I've seen really cool patterns on knives, trowels, etc by the way. ;)

never used carbon... I want to one day but not had the chance yet
Do it mate you won’t regret it, You’ll love it. I never forget way back when I was a pup, I walked on site one day with a shiny new stainless steel trowel and got slaughtered and laughed at by every spread there. It was like having a massive pimple on the end of your nose all day! Lol. That’s not to say I don’t have ss trowels in the van but they was brought as presents lol.

Do it mate you won’t regret it, You’ll love it. I never forget way back when I was a pup, I walked on site one day with a shiny new stainless steel trowel and got slaughtered and laughed at by every spread there. It was like having a massive pimple on the end of your nose all day! Lol. That’s not to say I don’t have ss trowels in the van but they was brought as presents lol.
I allway give my carbon a rub with sandpaper before first gage. Found they seem to warm up better for second gage unless I do this

Just ordered another 13x5 carbon which i will use along side the 3 year old one ive got, was going to give the nella a go but reading on here they take too long to break in and i dont do any sand cement work.

Just ordered another 13x5 carbon which i will use along side the 3 year old one ive got, was going to give the nella a go but reading on here they take too long to break in and i dont do any sand cement work.
Bad bits bout nella . Handle seems to be giving me blisters . Not had for years with wood handle. Blades a touch narrower to Mt. If I had mt in a a trick other day would of reached where nella wouldnt instead I had to squeeze some gear in with toe . Very time consuming

you cant get better than a wooden handle imo , the nela cork resin is better than a plastic mt / tyzack but only just

you cant get better than a wooden handle imo , the nela cork resin is better than a plastic mt / tyzack but only just
It could of been that we threw loads of bonding on that caused blisters . First time in ages . . ....

I was thinking about doing the exact thing yesterday i want to give the carbon ago though see what the fuss is about ive broken in the nela premium which is a really nice trowel now. But going the have a crack with the mt extra lite.
I’ve got a carbon extra light best trowel I’ve got but board work has to be flat ! Takes a good few months to break in!worth the wait great trowel.