Moisture resistant plasterboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

church

Now we have an Ex BG Quality control manager , i wonder if he can clear up a long standing debate we have had on this forum regarding M/R board , does the board need a bonding agent applied before plastering also can he comment on other manufactures of the same type of board ? Also is there anymore info on other types of board that need additional preparation prior to plastering ?

Thanks

Hi there, firstly I'd say that it's not advisable to skim this type of board at all, it's a tilebacker or semi exposed soffit board. Neither of which I would skim and once you do you lose your claim from BG should anything go awry. If it's in a situation that needs a skim, then it's the probably wrong product for the job, simple as.
In what situation would you feel the need to Skim an MR board?
All the other variations of BG board can be skimmed straight on (Fireline, Soundbloc.. etc..)
Can't comment on other manufacturers though, sorry.
Hope this helps
Chris.

Thanks for the reply Chris , wow ,im surprised ,spreads have been plastering m/r board for years mostly kitchen and bathroom areas on site in new builds and domestically .

Chris hi, I wonder then who is guiding specifiers and archi,s on the product as i have worked endless sites in manchester where all bathrooms are MR boarded and then skimmed/taped/or pva n skimmed. if this is wrong why are so many developers doing it and secondly why do the boards come in tapered edge form if not to receive a plastering product? For fire taping only maybe? I do agree they should be tiled over by the way .

Ex BG Quality Manager said:
Hi there, firstly I'd say that it's not advisable to skim this type of board at all, it's a tilebacker or semi exposed soffit board. Neither of which I would skim and once you do you lose your claim from BG should anything go awry. If it's in a situation that needs a skim, then it's the probably wrong product for the job, simple as.
All the other variations of BG board can be skimmed straight on (Fireline, Soundbloc.. etc..)
Hope this helps
Chris.

we are talking about the blue m/r 12.5 mm boards now arnt we ????.

please tell me the REASON WHY they cant be skimmed straight over.

I have done loads of them and never had an issue.

thanks Rich

richardbrown said:
Ex BG Quality Manager said:
Hope this helps
Chris.

we are talking about the blue m/r 12.5 mm boards now arnt we ????.

please tell me the REASON WHY they cant be skimmed straight over.

I have dont loads of them and never had an issue.

thanks Rich
Love it - Here we go again rich....
They are green not blue unless one of us two is colour blind.
so you been skimmin over artex and MR boards for years. BG will love you buddy LOL :D :D :D :D :D :eek:

Glad you refreshed this thread as its surprised me a bit. I skim moisture boards a lot and have had many occasions where it's been useful, so surprised to see bg man asking for examples.

One recent example I can recall is a bathroom in which we dot and dabbed the wall where the new bath was to go and they were only tiling half way ish above the bath so we skimmed it. What's prob with that?!

I always use feb bond blue grit if i need to skim moisture board. It does actually say on the tub that it can be used for such purposes

Another from the Sunshine Coast! Hope you didn't get too battered in the storm!

Do you blue grit the boards as a precaution or have you had adherence probs?

Just as a precaution because its recommended. never had any problems doing it that way but never tried skimming them without priming first

I assume you've never had issues skimming them leebo?

I see you're from Brighton, I'm just down the rd in seaford! Albion fan?
hi skimble, no i;ve never had any problems skimming them,, yes i am an albion fan but dont get to see them to often these days, you?

hi skimble, no i;ve never had any problems skimming them,, yes i am an albion fan but dont get to see them to often these days, you?

I'm actually a Man Utd fan but I follow Brighton and go to see them when I someone's got a spare ticket.

MR boards properties are to resist moisture not sure how it works but once you skim them they don't do what they are supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.