Moisture resistant plasterboard

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
MR boards properties are to resist moisture not sure how it works but once you skim them they don't do what they are supposed to do.

Sure you're right but what on earth do you do with them? You can't skim them, if you're tiling you might as well use standard board. So that just leaves dry lining and painting which would arguably compromise the moisture resistance also?

Hi all,

Just joined, as been looking over the web for info and found the site. Very informative but I cant find a definative answer on use of MR boards so hope someone can help.

I'm doing a full bathroom/shower refit. All walls are battened and boarded MR, and since I had left overs, I boarded out the L&P ceiling too, which had gaps where a wall had been removed.

I'm tanking the cubicle, and tiling direct onto the walls and floor, but wanted to skim the ceiling. Question is, if I do, do I do it on the green side or the grey side - or doesn't it matter?

appreciate any words of wisdom before I do this at the weekend, as I screwed the boards up, green side down and its not too late to change that if necessary.

Now reading all this chain, I'm wondering if its good to skim the ceiling or not. If yes, Final question, PVA or SBR needed or not?

thanks in advance.

If skimming over MR boards, a binding agent should be used.
The MR board has a waxy coating to it (to resist moisture) and can shell the plaster if skimmed directly.
Many don't have any problems but why take the chance

If skimming over MR boards, a bonding agent should be used.
The MR board has a waxy coating to it (to resist moisture) and can shell the plaster if skimmed directly.
Many don't have any problems but why take the chance

And, as Lucius said, it negates the MR properties if skimmed. These boards should be tiled directly.

Right

I'm tiling the walls directly - so no problem there.

The ceiling, Ill use a bonding agent, but that aside I should be OK to skim on the green side?

Appreciate the advice.

Right

I'm tiling the walls directly - so no problem there.

The ceiling, Ill use a bonding agent, but that aside I should be OK to skim on the green side?

Appreciate the advice.

If you use a bonding agent, skimming the green side should be fine. :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.