moisture boards

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theclemo

Private Member
Skimmed a house out last week. The house owner is an electrician. He is doing the work at night. He is shining lights down the walls when he is working. He has got on to the builder about 4 of the walls in the house. It just happens to be the walls with moisture boards on them. I put the light down them this evening. f**k me they looked a right mess. I didn't thistle Bond before I skim. Has anyone else had this problem with moisture board. Am going to try Sand the walls tomorrow.

What do you mean a mess? Lumpy or rough texture?

Won't be a bother on them Keith, tell him not to be shining lights down the feckin wall for inspection.
Just tell him to get them painted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to be a gambler to get it right on any board this time of the year. Site jobs are real nightmare tho

I've told him all the above. Am going to give them a sand so I can get my money. Puts me off plastering when s**t like this happens

I've told him all the above. Am going to give them a sand so I can get my money. Puts me off plastering when s**t like this happens
I would say lets see it painted,be easier to reskim if needed (which i doubt )and smash the light up

I have had the same this week on a job i half subbed out a few weeks back decorator insisting he would have to use easi-fill on at least one wall in all 3 bedrooms. I insisted he paint them first and to stop putting a fook'n hologen light at a 10 deg angle to the walls and just inspect them with the light the room would normally have. Hey presto they look fine and customer is more than happy with them. luckily tho they were walls which will always be face in to sunlight otherwise paranoia would have got the better of me.

Going off on a slight tangent Keith, why or where is he using moisture boards when he wants it skimming?
I've had this with several builders

there is a spec on shining light ,thought it was direct and so many feet/m back ?

i was taught to light a wall you needed 3 lights one at each side and one face on. you can only use 110v light not a 240v light or a light from a torch.

Going off on a slight tangent Keith, why or where is he using moisture boards when he wants it skimming?
I've had this with several builders

He had them where the showers are going. No need for skim but he wanted them skimmed. Gypsum say to thistlebond moisture boards before you skim. He was told that. His reply can u not pva it. So basically he wasn't buying thistlebond. So I just skim it.

Pointless putting grit on them, no point whatsoever.
I've had the same problem with some builders wanting them skimmed in showers, I've basically had to insult them to get them to take any notice.
He's wasting money buying moisture boards if he is gonna skim them.

To be honest i did not read the full thread ,shot me ,hang me ,im just an old spread that does a bit of rendering these days ,even though i,m s**t at that !and these jumped up lads know it all

Was talking to the Clemo keithuk,
However I don't understand the reply lol

He had them where the showers are going. No need for skim but he wanted them skimmed. Gypsum say to thistlebond moisture boards before you skim. He was told that. His reply can u not pva it. So basically he wasn't buying thistlebond. So I just skim it.
So if he's going to tile them, what's the problem.......

Iv got dragged back in a plot before to sort a defect out id left on a dormer cheek which apparently only revealed its self at certain times of the day (like when the sun shone) cause it was the shadow of some bird s**t on the glass I told the
Chuckle head he needed a window cleaner not a plasterer.

Might'nt look too bad when painted.As was said earlier shine a light down any wall and it shows imperfections.The same applies with down lighters on a soffit.He should have come to you and had a quiet word instead of the builder,I would'nt worry too much about it.

ive not read the whole thread. but as far as am aware these boards are ment to be tiled straight onto. there not ment to be skimmed

Got paid for the job. I didn't Sand the walls. But told the builder i did. Told him to have a look at them. And he says that's a lot better. The tool. Then I told him I didn't do anything to them. He just walked out laughing. The carpenter on the job was passing himself laughing at the builder. He made a right dickhead of himself.

Got paid for the job. I didn't Sand the walls. But told the builder i did. Told him to have a look at them. And he says that's a lot better. The tool. Then I told him I didn't do anything to them. He just walked out laughing. The carpenter on the job was passing himself laughing at the builder. He made a right dickhead of himself.
Glad you got sorted.It's hard enough to earn it.

Agree, glad you got sorted, and then shove his light up his a.s on the way out.

I've just have the same thing happened on a different job. But this time the wall has it's first coat of paint on it. This time I reskimed it. Didn't use s*p*r*lex just Mt. The wall looks the same to look at. But when the sunlight shines down the wall it looks a lot lot better finished with the Mt then the s*p*r*lex. Am going back to the old way of skimming.

Status
Not open for further replies.