Mixing issues - plaster going off fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

worz

Hi all, hope you guys can help :RpS_love:

Firstly let me be clear, I only plaster for myself (house ren)

I haven't plastered in a while and had ago at a large (for me) ceiling today, my god, my shoulder. Re-boarded so onto fresh board.

I always seem to run into issues with mixing, either the bucket gets chewed up (have sanded the mixer down, still have this issue) or the mix goes off so fast, granted I'm not the fastest but it really does go off quick (multi finish, in date)

I use a Makita paddle mixer, but to be honest it's really slow even at full speed. I'm wondering if thats part of the issue, I spend so long mixing it that it causes it to go off faster?

I'm thinking about buying a drill and mixer just for the purpose of mixing plaster, any recommendations?

Also, I see some people using board finish instead, but after much reading Multi seems to be the preferred.. is it worth trying a bag or 2 of board finish?

Huge thanks in advance

Hi mate if a bag has been sitting in extreme temperatures or has become damp this can lead to flash setting even if still in date. With regards to mixing say a bag you want to get it knocked up within a few minutes only. Getting a mixer that can do that will help you out for sure. My first mixer was a Sparky make which was a good start for me for about £130. Hope this helps mate

You will get that extra little bit time with multi i think which is best for you i guess , over mixing does make it go off quicker , i think its more of spending ages mixing then struggling with the ceiling as you dont do much plastering rather than a problem with gear etc . A bit of a faster mixer would be good if it is that slow , does it not have 2 speeds ?

Thanks guys, I'm not fast by any means so it is probably just that, although the last room I did I didn't have this issue. I'm also using a spot board with a sheet of perspex now as hate trowling it out of the bucket (trying all sorts of little things to give me more time :p ) I think the Makita only has one speed but will double check

Our lab used a bag that was 2 months out of date and it took an absolute age to go off!

You will get that extra little bit time with multi i think which is best for you i guess , over mixing does make it go off quicker , i think its more of spending ages mixing then struggling with the ceiling as you dont do much plastering rather than a problem with gear etc . A bit of a faster mixer would be good if it is that slow , does it not have 2 speeds ?
I brought a new paddle a couple of years ago,when i mixed with it i had to use pressure to keep it down in the buccket (positive action i think)anyway if i mixed quick with it i always got less time with the finish went off pretty quick,ihad to get rid and replace it.

Mine sucks the mixer into the bucket rather than pushing out
Yes the 1 i have now does and thats fine but the one i brought and got rid of pushes the mixer upwards,it seems to put too much air into the mix making it go off quicker,it mixes dab nice though.

try using wood as your spot board (wet it down before putting plaster on it)if you plaster regular you find it always sets(stiffens up quicker) on plastic window frames and if you leave it in bucket ,mix as quick as you can with whatever you use i.e stick and posser only went as fast as the person using them, board finish sets quicker than multi,but I think your over mixing the gear by the sound of it,especially since you think you are

my mixer takes it from the top and pushes it down :) Can mix a bag in about 30 seconds :) Love my new Makita mixer ;-)

Ive had my eibenstock mixer since 1998 and worked out it has mixed approx 80,000 to 100,000 bags of materials!! :RpS_scared:

Put more water in the mix maybe. BG's recommended water is not enough imo I use 13 ltrs of water per bag. If you start adding water to your mix cos you have added to much powder this can also make it set quicker as you are overmixing.

Shove some cream of tartar in the mix never done it myself but they reckon it slows it right down? Sure a few on here heard that trick :RpS_confused:

Ut1600 with a 200mm paddle is fast bit much for a bag of skim though but still do it when I can't be bothered to get other mixer out.

Did 2 walls today and I must say the mix was much better, near perfect. I think I was over-mixing big time.

I was also faffing by first adding water then the plaster bit by bit, today I put the water then chucked nearly all the plaster needed then mixed and it was alot better

It gets easier with time.... a black bucket of water and a splash does me a bag of finish... its the way i lile it....

Used some old plaster the other day that the customer had kept from the last time we were there (and then it'd been out in the piśśing rain, 2 out of 8 bags usable) and it was nice to use as in slow and steady (apart from the bits). Got some fresh and it set like buggery.. Go figure..

Put more water in the mix maybe. BG's recommended water is not enough imo I use 13 ltrs of water per bag. If you start adding water to your mix cos you have added to much powder this can also make it set quicker as you are overmixing.

Went on the irish gyproc plastering site and they have carlite finish, ultimate finish and another one with 90 minute set all recommend to use 13 litres of water. 6 months shelf life also. Its made by saint gobain who own british gypsum so maybe they could release over here? @BritishGypsum

Last edited:
Refina 130 neg draw paddle....all the way. If you've not mixed the whole bag in under 60 seconds, you're a puff.....best thing I've bought this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.