Mist Coat water / paint ratio

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorak

Apologies if this has been asked before (i did look!) but what water / paint ratio does everyone use for their mist coats?

Plasterers tell me 50/50 is ok, paint shops tell me it should be 20/80 or 10/90 - am I being overly suspcious in wondering why they're recommending a stronger mix of their product?

Normally I use an 20/80 mix - but if I can make the paint last a little longer by using a weaker mix, that would be good.

I usually find 2 mist coats and one full coat is enough to get a good finish. I leave a day between coats.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.

normally about 20/80 mix is okay,, you would be better off with one mist coat and 2 normal coats,, no need to wait a day between coats

Just read the tub of paint , the instructions should say as every paint is different , cheaper ones are already abit watery where as the better makes are abit thicker . Just do what ever it says on the tub but to be honest it wouldnt do it any harm 50-50

I always say 70-30 paint-watrr. But best to follow instructions on the tub if you're unsure

Yes one mist coat will do - I'd go for 3 coats (mist coat plus 3 coats - but 2 coats is ok ) always feather out when your roller run out of paint before apply more paint from tray so will see no lines etc best paint on market is crown trade

Best paint on the market is colortrend

50/50 and you will have more on the floor and yourself, than on the walls and ceilings. Use a non vinyl contract emulsion too. Something like Dulux Supermatt or Glidden contract emulsion.

My decorator uses Leyland Super-leytex non vinyl matt, you get 15L of paint in a 20L tub.
Add 4.5L of water and mix. Easy

I'd recommend McPherson's Eclipse. It's high permeability means it's ideal for mistcoating and it doesn't need watered down too much. You can buy it at Crown decorating centres and it's generally well priced. Cheaper than Dulux, Crown, Johnstones Trade etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.