Mesh in s/c

Members online

irish_spread

Private Member
As in the title , any of you lads use that ewi mesh in your scratch on traditional sand and cement ? I've used it on a few jobs and never heard anything back re any problems. Just wondering, because the mesh is fine is there a courser mesh, not eml ?
Cheers in advance

I use it all the time, gonna get some with bigger holes when I've used up what I have, the only problem I have with it is I scratch with a float so it sometimes pulls it off grrrrr ive won a few jobs because I told the customer I would mesh the scratch coat which nobody else does and for the sake of what it costs .

I use it all the time, gonna get some with bigger holes when I've used up what I have, the only problem I have with it is I scratch with a float so it sometimes pulls it off grrrrr ive won a few jobs because I told the customer I would mesh the scratch coat which nobody else does and for the sake of what it costs .

Scratch internally or externally with your float?

As in the title , any of you lads use that ewi mesh in your scratch on traditional sand and cement ? I've used it on a few jobs and never heard anything back re any problems. Just wondering, because the mesh is fine is there a courser mesh, not eml ?
Cheers in advance
You can get a 10mm square mesh. TV10 Is the Parex version. A lot stronger than the normal mesh. Like an in between of mesh and EML.

Ive used it on an old internal wall that was shot to pieces where I couldn't fit Eml on no comebacks after a few years and worked well. Used a few times since and been fine

Thanks lads, it's on a job I just got when the competing other plasterer told the customer it would shear. That 10mm sounds good though

Any merchant should have it. Which one is the closest to you? Selco have it , but not sure what size tho.

Last edited:
I never see it in merchants where I live, I'm in east London, so most of the places I use are Sikh, which only cater for cheap cheap. SKS enviro wall stock it but it's a 50 mile round trip

I use a 8mm mesh on sand and cement. I find the 4mm mesh too fine for the sand to get through. Also the strands on 4mm are so close the water runs down causing slumping.

I've used the mesh on sand and cement over cracks by Windows or poor brick work after taking exsisting off and pass a job I done regularly and still looks alright and had no come back on it after 2 years so far

I never see it in merchants where I live, I'm in east London, so most of the places I use are Sikh, which only cater for cheap cheap. SKS enviro wall stock it but it's a 50 mile round trip
Sig is over your way ain't it in Dagenham can't they get some in for you or just order off line probably better bet

Mix your scratch wet and cut small bits it pulls in like f**k and is quite difficult to bed in, easier with two people.

I use a 8mm mesh on sand and cement. I find the 4mm mesh too fine for the sand to get through. Also the strands on 4mm are so close the water runs down causing slumping.

Been thinking it's too fine but not sure. Can't measure the size of the holes on the roll I've got at the moment because of me dodgy eyes and I've got the shakes but I can get a match stick through the it if that helps

SIG are Parex stockists.
Also PISS Stock Parex products, you can get next day with them. Worth it if you need it quick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been thinking it's too fine but not sure. Can't measure the size of the holes on the roll I've got at the moment because of me dodgy eyes and I've got the shakes but I can get a match stick through the it if that helps
How many of your sons unicorn hairs can you get through it :risas:

Why not scratch then as flynny Says do a really wet one over it just to bed in mesh make sure you got enough through to scratch again

f**k using the mesh sounds like 2 much work. Sand and cement as been fine without it this last 30 or more years.

f**k using the mesh sounds like 2 much work. Sand and cement as been fine without it this last 30 or more years.

In Ireland, yes, I would agree with you. Most of the houses over there are properly built with concrete blocks and quality coarse sand which is nice to use.
In the uk however, older houses are built with soft clay bricks and the sand is closer to building sand, also nice to use but lacks coarse aggregate. New builds are shitty thermalites which in my opinion shouldn't be rendered.
That's why a lot of people over here mesh it, plus the houses are a lot smaller so the cost is negligible .

In Ireland, yes, I would agree with you. Most of the houses over there are properly built with concrete blocks and quality coarse sand which is nice to use.
In the uk however, older houses are built with soft clay bricks and the sand is closer to building sand, also nice to use but lacks coarse aggregate. New builds are shitty thermalites which in my opinion shouldn't be rendered.
That's why a lot of people over here mesh it, plus the houses are a lot smaller so the cost is negligible .

Just use Weber OCR 6-1-1 over clay bricks, rend aid first. Never had any problems and do these Victorian houses all the time. I bed mesh in round openings before we one pass over just for peace of mind. I used to use the 4mm pink weber mesh bedded into sand cement scratch, don't bother now though don't think there is a need for it.

Thats why most old rendered houses have cracking around the windows ,things move on in the game ,with respect

Thats why most old rendered houses have cracking around the windows ,things move on in the game ,with respect
I agree with you. So let's just put the mesh there on the stress points instead of the hole area. Less work less money on material

Now I understand Eddie. I was thinking why mesh the hole wall.

Exactly !