memory lane.

Members online

scottie5

Private Member
This just sent a shiver down my spine, stuff of nightmares.

FB_IMG_1480975899972.jpg

those bags were bigger than most apprentices.
i must of knocked 1000's of those bstards up in a bath with a drag for my old fella, before new child slavery laws forced a reduction to the size of them bags.

Does anyone still use a tin bath to mix in?:musculoso:

Worked on a site with a 67 year old plasterer about 10 years ago. We had all the gear you could want but he insisted on mixing the hardwall with a shovel . Had a tape measure in feet and inches too.

I believe most of my back ache is down to having to carry those bags through doorways. I'm 6' plus the bag on your shoulder = having to squat/bend to get through doorways.............I'd like to see the t**t that designed them do it....
Agree.
Stuff of nightmares.
"Another bath full when your ready mate".......uuurghh!!

I saw a lad labouring on an old spread who had to drag them into the house cos he couldn't lift them

Took me about a month on site before I could get 50kg of cement up to my shoulder. First one went on and straight off over my back.

Floating browning on thermalight blocks and skimming, what did they make us do! I used to dislike that siraphite on dry s&c, peely stuff, it was a lot harder work than it is now.

I remember the 50kg bags of cement.Used to kill me lifting them,was only 13.Now my 11 year old son rings me from upstairs to bring him up a drink.

I remember collapsing on the stairs after a very long day with two loons i was knocking up for and i fell asleep at earls court station from exhaustion once got woken by my brother who was changing trains and saw me

I used to have to get inside our steel bath and carry it like a tortoise shell from house to house

I ran remember lifting 50kg bags of cement. At the time I was boxing at 48kg that is like me lifting a 12 stone bag now. f**k that get it hard to pick up a 25kg bag now
When the cement lorry turned up on site, we all had to muck in an unload it. Bags were hot! And 50kg... in the summer with no shirt on, you'd sweat and get cement burnt!. Thank god for pallets.

The 50 kg bags were a bitch for a small lad like me alright but I was still stupid enough to complain about the extra walking when the 25kg ones came in .
The plunger was another pain in the hole and my boss wouldnt let us use the mixing drill unless there was power in the house , he wouldnt waste money on petrol for the genny

Jute scrim, all the wall ceiling joints or anywhere plasterboard meets blockwork. I can recall putting on a ceiling joint and it coming off quicksmart, again and again......hateful shite.

The 50 kg bags were a bitch for a small lad like me alright but I was still stupid enough to complain about the extra walking when the 25kg ones came in .
The plunger was another pain in the hole and my boss wouldnt let us use the mixing drill unless there was power in the house , he wouldnt waste money on petrol for the genny

Still keep a plunger in the van in case of smaller mixes rather than bring out the paddle.

This just sent a shiver down my spine, stuff of nightmares.

View attachment 15293
those bags were bigger than most apprentices.
i must of knocked 1000's of those bstards up in a bath with a drag for my old fella, before new child slavery laws forced a reduction to the size of them bags.

that photo is of the new lightweight browning you only had to add water. easy days.

the original thistle browning had to be mixed 3 of sand to 1 of browning and stunk of fish glue, there was basic browning for walls and fibre browning to float on sheets of plaster lath plasterboard.

I can remember un loading a BG wagon 2 bags at a time of browning all those years ago and the words Fook'n Idiot still echo in my ears now, all these years later I call young'uns Fook'n idiots for carrying 2 bags of multi at a time into jobs.
We live and learn gents we live and learn!

I'm glad I never did that era. I'm only small and sometimes get a bit ambitious trying to get loaded/unloaded faster taking 2 bags in, regret it after most times. F*** that would I like having to carry them day in day out.

50kg bags of plaster remember them with fondness but now struggle with 25kg up the stairs.:confused:
Weren't they actually better made bags though? I rip and tear modern bags all the time, van is full of powder. Didn't seem to happen "back in da day, innit"

john lang was building the new airport in Poland, they sent the carlite out there by train. job was behind so all the uk based plasterers they had employed on a cash basis to do the work spent weeks unloading trains.
how times have changed!

My plunger is in the back of the shed, old bike chain ring on a bar. I couldn't carry them bags now, my knees are fooked.

First encounter with 50kg bags of cement taking skin off my knuckles trying to get my hands round them getting it out a typical muck encrusted barrow , nice frosty morning :mad:
Then being told to scrub my knuckles til the cement was free of them that night:sorprendido3: I thought they were just being cants!! :endesacuerdo: Trust me by the end of the next day I took the soap and brush to them gladly, and gloves on after that:sisi:.
Sorted it out instantly though if you couldn't get the bags on yer shoulder and up the ladder or stairs there was no point you being there.