Magnetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
in got magnetic knifes and forks :RpS_mellow:

used to go into a restaurant in trafford centre quite a bit and was fascinated when i realised the knives ad forks were magnetic. time waiting for food sped bye playing with those things

Magnetic Plaster has got magnetite in it, which is a mineral, an iron oxide.
Iron oxide is a metal.
Case closed :rolleyes)

That is true mate. But when i spoke to Paul from bg. He did state a couple of merchants i use get their plaster direct from them, So should be no bother for me to order 4 bags at a time. If you did ever want some more for a job .Once i make sure i can get it to the merchant i am thinking of i would be happy to get you some if you cant get hold of it :)

Probably worth mentioning, you can buy powdered magnetite and add it to the plaster (or mortar, or whatever) to whatever ratio you need. Magnetite powder, 1kg (ferrous-ferric oxide, Fe3O4): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I did a job some years ago for a customer that wanted it in the mortar for his garden wall. He played some strategy/war game that they wanted to move pieces around the stone for. He was happy with it, crazy as a sh1t house rat, but happy.

Probably worth mentioning, you can buy powdered magnetite and add it to the plaster (or mortar, or whatever) to whatever ratio you need. Magnetite powder, 1kg (ferrous-ferric oxide, Fe3O4): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I did a job some years ago for a customer that wanted it in the mortar for his garden wall. He played some strategy/war game that they wanted to move pieces around the stone for. He was happy with it, crazy as a sh1t house rat, but happy.
there is a hell of a lot more than a kilo in it

there is a hell of a lot more than a kilo in it

Yes, 40% by dry weight as a minimum. So you buy as much as required from a supplier. My point being that availability isn't restricted to where and when you can buy it pre-mixed. Magnetite (along with other iron sulphides if you need more 'stick') are available from quite a few sources.

Yes, 40% by dry weight as a minimum. So you buy as much as required from a supplier. My point being that availability isn't restricted to where and when you can buy it pre-mixed. Magnetite (along with other iron sulphides if you need more 'stick') are available from quite a few sources.
i did look into this but its just to damn expensive

i did look into this but its just to damn expensive

Yeah, no question about that, BG will have a bit more discount for their quantities. I mentioned it to point out that if you only need a small quantity, or needed some quickly, but couldn't get it from the suppliers because they only order in bulk, you can mix it yourself as a quick fix.

I wasn't thinking as an alternative to buying bags of magnetic plaster for a job. That'd be as mad as collecting oyster shells to burn and grind instead of buying cement. :RpS_lol:

I'd speak to them mate as Scunthorpe depot said u order by the bag.. Big confirmed this as well when I spoke to them.. It just gets ordered alongside t.p's main plaster order

I've put it on some panels in my [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]neighbours[/FONT] bathroom the kids love it :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited:
cool first time i seen this, i must start looking into all different types of plastering.

how much is this stuff a bag? and i guess you do two coats like normal?

cheers

I think minimum thickness is 3 mm but no more than 6mm as after that it makes no difference to magnets sticking to it. I was told off at the bg academy for treating it like multi and getting it on 1-2 mm ish first coat. My excuse was its ****-ing expensive so want to make it go as far as possible. I was then advised that maybe i should 3 coat which i replied, Na i will mix it up as thick as i can. Bit like the video i saw of the guy throwing render at the wall on here the other day :RpS_wink:

Thanks tp says a pallet .... Will ring again tomorrow and advise them that BG will let me order just one bag.......
I spoke to them a while back after James mentioned scunny and yes they will get one bag if you need it but they only order every two weeks so you need to get it on that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.