Looking for advice on the repair and go over of existing render

Chelle

Hi, all. I found this forum whilst trying to do some research on what to expect from getting the existing render on my house repaired and then gone over the top and finished off with a coloured silicone render.

I'm hoping you guys can help as we're now just thoroughly confused.

We live in a 5 bed detached (top half rendered), so we know its a lot of work (nr Warrington).

There are some stress cracks round the windows that need repairing and one of the sections probably needs replacing completely.

We did the usual thing of getting 3 quotes, basically looking for the same work to be done, although the quotes we are getting are wildly different. I mean £6k different.

The cheapest was £6k but 5 minutes looking into the company, we've totally discounted. This meant we got another quote but its not come in for much more. My first quote was close to £12k...

I'm not sure what extra there is for an extra £5/6k in a quote! Happy to pay extra for the more reliable and better quality workmanship but when does a fair price become an excessive cost?

We might get a few more quotes to see if they are more in one direction or another but am I missing something here?

Hi, all. I found this forum whilst trying to do some research on what to expect from getting the existing render on my house repaired and then gone over the top and finished off with a coloured silicone render.

We live in a 5 bed detached (top half rendered), so we know its a lot of work (nr Warrington).

There are some stress cracks round the windows that need repairing and one of the sections probably needs replacing completely.

We did the usual thing of getting 3 quotes, basically looking for the same work to be done, although the quotes we are getting are wildly different. I mean £6k different.

The cheapest was £6k but 5 minutes looking into the company, we've totally discounted. This meant we got another quote but its not come in for much more. My first quote was close to £12k...

I'm not sure what extra there is for an extra £5/6k in a quote! Happy to pay extra for the more reliable and better quality workmanship but when does a fair price become an excessive cost?

We might get a few more quotes to see if they are more in one direction or another but am I missing something here?
Best thing for you to do is ask to go to a house we’re they have done .. ask that customer about them if you’re happy then use them .. taking a big chance by not asking a render nowadays to see there work.. you can’t put a price on a man’s labour he knows what he’s worth most likely go the extra mile to protect everything use better materials.. do a good job.

Same reason a Ferrari costs more than a Ford Mondeo yet both are a car that complies with UK road laws and gets you around
If George Clooney was doing it he could charge another £500,000 and he is crap at rendering
Everything is relative plus if your good and in demand you are worth more than someone who is neither

Stress cracks? I’ve seen block work behind them on 5 year old houses that has cracked in two be ye warned stitching may be involved

The cheapest was £6k but 5 minutes looking into the company, we've totally discounted @Casper . This meant we got another quote but its not come in for much more. My first quote was close to £12k...

Chuckle TPF.gif

Same reason a Ferrari costs more than a Ford Mondeo yet both are a car that complies with UK road laws and gets you around
If George Clooney was doing it he could charge another £500,000 and he is crap at rendering
Everything is relative plus if your good and in demand you are worth more than someone who is neither

Stress cracks? I’ve seen block work behind them on 5 year old houses that has cracked in two be ye warned stitching may be involved
Thanks, no one has mentioned stitching when they've been, they didn't seem too worried when coming to see what needs doing (that is the ones that have been to see the work rather than a few who insist on quoting by photo only ). So hopefully not as bad as that, is there a reason to stitch rather than chase out the cracks and infill?

Thanks, no one has mentioned stitching when they've been, they didn't seem too worried when coming to see what needs doing (that is the ones that have been to see the work rather than a few who insist on quoting by photo only ). So hopefully not as bad as that, is there a reason to stitch rather than chase out the cracks and infill?
You wouldn’t want that filled lol
8E1FBE70-913A-41E5-AD4D-4128BAE083CE.jpeg

Oh crap. Thankfully not that bad! They're mostly around the bottom of windows to the edge of the render, which is part of the reason for getting it done.