Loft conversion ideas

Im converting my loft to a beroom with ensuite. Just looking for inspiration mostly regarding storage under eves or any storage solutions. Im sure some of youbguys will have fabricated something to make good use of space and thst lools rad..so if you dont mind sharing pictures and ideas ill be very greatful.

Im converting my loft to a beroom with ensuite. Just looking for inspiration mostly regarding storage under eves or any storage solutions. Im sure some of youbguys will have fabricated something to make good use of space and thst lools rad..so if you dont mind sharing pictures and ideas ill be very greatful.
I did one long ago. I think it was one of the dirtiest dustiest irritating job I ever did.

Only one I've done with built in storage was the one I did in novemeber
IMG-20181206-WA0011.jpg

I did a loft conversion in my place :D

We have storage down both sides with cupboard doors all the way along :D Which people thought was stupid until I put all my desks around the edge of the room and suddenly it became obvious

It's all about access. Get decent stairs made. I had joiner. copy original hand rails spindles ect . I took the roof off made 2 rooms and separate shower room . When I sold it estate agents said it was best they had seen . Should have put tin hat on it though. As soon as I stripped tiles off it pissed down for 2 weeks. In August..

How do you strengthen the floor ?
That was 8*2's from wall plates sitting on central wall, different sizes depending on the span, double bar around the stairs opening. Put down in-between original joists, herring bone ties and nogs attached to old joists to act same as removed binders

That was 8*2's from wall plates sitting on central wall, different sizes depending on the span, double bar around the stairs opening. Put down in-between original joists, herring bone ties and nogs attached to old joists to act same as removed binders
Do you need to notify build control for loft conversion?

Do you need to notify build control for loft conversion?
Well the first thing I would do is put a fire escape velux in the place if there is no other suitable opening.

This should be a regulation requirement where ever you live.

It may???? include cutting the purlin (usually 9"x3"). ...... and other structural work other than the loft. (Extra strengthening joists and bracing work.) It may not be possible to do this without major upgrading of timber work.

If you have to do this and you dont know what to do...................stick to throwing shite on the walls.

Last edited:
Well the first thing I would do is put a fire escape velux in the place if there is no other suitable opening.

This should be a regulation requirement where ever you live.

I didn't have to do that... I have to to put wired smoke alarms in every habitable room and that was all they wanted

I didn't have to do that... I have to to put wired smoke alarms in every habitable room and that was all they wanted
We usually just get fire doors off each room off the hallways and detector in downstairs, upstairs landing and loft itself. All rooms off hallways (fire doors )f you don't want detectors in every room

We usually just get fire doors off each room off the hallways and detector in downstairs, upstairs landing and loft itself. All rooms off hallways (fire doors )f you don't want detectors in every room

Yes every door here is a fire door as well even the bath room doors. The only place we don't have a s.oke detector is in the bathrooms

You might wanna consider 2 openings to the eaves storage area, if you just have one it’s difficult to get to the stuff you put in 1st. Make sure the opening will fit your biggest item. It’s not that common to insulate the storage area either but not to difficult to do with space blanket, your stored items will experience less temperature variation, condensation etc.