Loam plaster

eastplastering

Hi,
Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between loam and clay plaster? I know this is a lime plaster thread, but thought you guys might know. Will be soon plastering my house with clay and lime on different surfaces, and just came across this "loam" plaster, and can't see any clear description in comparison with clay. Any info, much appreciated!
Regards,
Rob

Hi there.

Look, I'm not a plasterer but have been plastering my own place top to bottom inside and out inc garden walling and cob garden house etc etc. over past 2 years using mainly lime but also used a fair bit of clay.

In all the research I did regards clay plasters and plastering, I had determined that loam plaster was generally another term used for clay plaster, earthen plaster etc.

To be honest...

I made my own clay plaster ie...dug it from the ground. I dont think I would do it again as although it was brilliant, it's so much work that you need a holiday before you start the actual plastering part!

If I'm truly honest, I dont know if I would do clay again. It looks great aesthetically and I had it in my head that clay plaster was going in the house no matter what...but I have also used clay paint with an earth coloured pigment on a few of the interior limed areas and it looks almost identical to the bare clay plaster areas yet far more durable.

I also lime washed some internal walls...despite being a little worried about dusting, durability etc...several really thin coats rather than a few thick ones and it's not a bit dusty...its brilliant.

I'm actually playing around with a few pigments for a limewashing front if house in spring...been able to get almost the exact earthy tone of clay.

Hi,
Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between loam and clay plaster? I know this is a lime plaster thread, but thought you guys might know. Will be soon plastering my house with clay and lime on different surfaces, and just came across this "loam" plaster, and can't see any clear description in comparison with clay. Any info, much appreciated!
Regards,
Rob
loam or clay all the same its just a pozzalome some thing that speeds the set time

Thanks guys, I thought there might be a different working quality, or fininsh etc. Fromwhat I've read, loam seems to have less clay, maybe more silt or something, so perhaps the same qualities, but still no clear definition of loam plaster-clay laster. I'm stil a few months away from doing the work!