Little tip for Ewi thin coat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else use a serated edge for the first base coat pass ? Works a treat for me, I bang the base coat on the wall at depth of about 3-4 mm then use my 1.2 serated edge to go over the same as mono and take off all high spots and fill any low spots with it,then embed the mesh, makes the last 2 passes really easy as the first pass goes on really even and level, a lot better than a spat IMO :)

Good tip.
Not done EWI in a while but I used to use a notched trowel before meshing.

If it's only going on at 3mm surely it would be flat anyway and if not would the mesh not flatten it? Just getting into this ewi so obviously you'll know better than me, just a thought from what I've done.

To be fair all the applicator trainers showing any of you guys the use of a system should be showing or encouraging the use of the notch trowel for the adhesive.
Been discussed loads on here there is another thread currently saying just the same as this. P1ss sell the Swiss notch.

@stuart23 unless its the like of dryvit that is like 2mm plus 1mm if that. It will always be more like 5mm behind the mesh 1mm over the mesh...you be surprised at Tue lumps and bumps that can occur in the 5mm pass using adhesives.
The notcher helps keep it even. When the sun hits it it shows up.....

Last edited by a moderator:
@stuart23 unless its the like of dryvit that is like 2mm plus 1mm if that. It will always be more like 5mm behind the mesh 1mm over the mesh...you be surprised at Tue lumps and bumps that can occur in the 5mm pass using adhesives.
The notcher helps keep it even. When the sun hits it it shows up.....
Would you still do that if it was getting finished in a dry dash or would it be overkill?

No, if it was dash, base and mesh and comb scratch just normally, then you would just do your receiver as normal then dash onto it

Would you still do that if it was getting finished in a dry dash or would it be overkill?
I wouldn't bother either with dash as it does not show up blemishes as it's not a flat finish, if the base coat is not right on a thin coat finish then it really does show in the sunlight.
The notched trowel is good to use but I have found that the serrated edge is even better due to the larger span as it gets over slight dips in block work and boarding which a notched trowel would follow, give it a try guys and let us know your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.