Liquid screed vs traditional screed ??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cassie may be able to help more than me but a couple of different tiĺers ive spoke to say they have to scratch it up for them to stick but even then they don't trust it, they could be wrong though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tilers have to put a bonding agent on flow screed.
I think traditional you can go thicker if need be.

you have to seal a flow screed , it is a prefered choice to tile over, if a traditional screed is laid properly, then its ok, problem is, if its laid properly ? ... and a trad screed usually takes longer to dry, and in my view is not as strong... as for cheapness, suppose it depends on the floor size... trad takes way longer to do... so if its a small area flow will be expensive, on a biggish area it may equal out more in price...

Traditional screed contains much less water to begin with and will be ready to cover with a floor finish in much less time. Traditional screeds can be modified to dry even quicker. Traditional screed is cement based and can be tiled with a cement adhesive before the floor is dry.
Liquid can be layed much thinner than traditional and layed much faster without the need for the busy skilled labour. Plenty people down this way will do a 100m2 floor for £200 labour

I wouldnt say a trad screed dries quicker mate, and I wouldnt be tiling over it until fully dry...

Traditional screed contains much less water to begin with and will be ready to cover with a floor finish in much less time. Traditional screeds can be modified to dry even quicker. Traditional screed is cement based and can be tiled with a cement adhesive before the floor is dry.
Liquid can be layed much thinner than traditional and layed much faster without the need for the busy skilled labour. Plenty people down this way will do a 100m2 floor for £200 labour

i was taught to flood trad. screed for 7 days after laying. as it is mixed semi dry it needs to be flooded for the cement to reach full strength. it also needs to be covered with poly for seven days to make it sweat to cure.

i was taught to flood trad. screed for 7 days after laying. as it is mixed semi dry it needs to be flooded for the cement to reach full strength. it also needs to be covered with poly for seven days to make it sweat to cure.

What do u mean by flood?

What do u mean by flood?

we pour buckets of water on the screed, they soak into the screed straight away. then cover the screed with a lightweight poly to make it sweat. lift the poly every day and repeat the process for 7 days.
on work for the mod this is a must. if the screed has not been cured properly they will have it taken up.

I wouldnt say a trad screed dries quicker mate, and I wouldnt be tiling over it until fully dry...

mmm I dunno. They say a mm a day but a semi dry always seems to be dry in a few weeks. Look at UFH 50mm liquid and 75mm semi dry. There is a huge amount of water in the liquid screed compared to the damp sand in semi dry.

They always choose semi dry over liquid on fastrack jobs like shopping centres or shop refurbs etc where the screed goes down and they tiling it a few days later. they cant afford to wait for it to dry out even though according to the book they should dry out the same time

mmm I dunno. They say a mm a day but a semi dry always seems to be dry in a few weeks. Look at UFH 50mm liquid and 75mm semi dry. There is a huge amount of water in the liquid screed compared to the damp sand in semi dry.

They always choose semi dry over liquid on fastrack jobs like shopping centres or shop refurbs etc where the screed goes down and they tiling it a few days later. they cant afford to wait for it to dry out even though according to the book they should dry out the same time

tricky one that mate.... I would cover my arse and make sure its dry before tiling.. they dont seem too bothered site bashing though..

The tiler we used to use preferred traditional screed not sure why though so always tended to use it unless it was a massive job or wheelbarrow access was an issue. Amazing the speed that the liquid goes down.

realy ? My joints hurt just at thr thought and I'm only 28!!

Laying hundred mts of liquid is eze. Just hold a pipe then when the screeds in bounce a alloy rod round the place till its flat. Hardest part is waiting for gear to turn up.

I layed 55m2 traditional last week with another spread and it took till bout 3 ish. I was aching the next day and the day after.
I remember layin 90m2 on my own 10 years ago with no aches. Never been too hot on the semi dry screeds though cos i dont do many

we do get a fair share of screeding, as lot of people do not want to lay it.when you get a run of screeding they go down easy and you can cover your money quickly.

no need with lasers. i just screw one up and that covers a fair aream I got a second one then for areas it cant be viewed

Can anyone remember they used to get someone in prior to mark a datum line all round :confused:

it was either done with a dumpy level or water level. now a lazer.
on large jobs like a shopping centre they would give you a bench mark in the centre of the building, and you would take the level for each shop from this point.

Attachments

• IMG-20130701-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20130701-WA0000.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 396
Status
Not open for further replies.