Lintol repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtybill

Went to do a patching job today (roughcast) above a window and discovered the lintol is blown a bit in the middle, the lintol as a whole is sound and doing its job so rather than digging it out and replacing it ( its a beast) i would rather just shutter and repair but im not sure what would be best suited for the job ie concrete repair resin or just rattling up something myself any ideas?

Sorry if in wrong section admin!

If its a cast concrete lintel i would get a second opinion from a builder mate you may just be covering up a whole can of worms.

Its the bottom edge that has broken away the lintol itself has no cracks etc so all seems well will get another opinion on it!

The post below sounds right. Its when it has cracked horizontally you have problems. It will be the reinforcing bar that has corroded. Unless its back has broken then when that happens SBR it all and either try and fit expanded metal lathing over it or plenty of reinforcing mesh. Taking out those 3 course high lintels is dangerous and best left to someone else. Never try and put a concrete one back in, drop it and you will break at least your legs. Make the customer pay for steel it is a lot safer.

in the past i have replaced the lintels. Then looked in to what causes the problem, usually find out that water as persisted in the area( ie, unstable guttering or downfalls, sills above even cracks around the problem etc etc) summer n winter temps will find there weakness, where ever waters involved. On top of that they are load bearers

Status
Not open for further replies.