Limelite

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgreigh

Evening chaps,I have a job to look at in a couple of days,I already know the house is ironstone with traditional lime plaster that is in need of repair or redoing,the house owners agree with me in keeping to lime,I have no shame in admitting that I haven't used limelite before,none of our local merchants sell it so would have to order it but that's ok. I would usually stick to using traditional lime mortar and lime putty but I would like to know a bit more about limelite and would be a good opportunity for me to use it,do they do a base coat and a finish and what are your opinions on it in general?thanks fellas:RpS_cool:

The backing coat has to cure for 24 hrs before you can skim it up can be a bitch to use in the cold skim will hang forever if it's cold Matt finish which is white also you have to finish the backing in one you can't fill out with it say round a door casing and go over next day with more backing as it shells off it seals itself if you get what I mean I've used a lot of it on refurbs in the past likes slumping if too thick wouldn't like to use it all the time also recommended not to decorate it for 12 weeks longer if papering

as above cement based. a lightweight plaster that needs 24hours before you skim . do not over trowel the finish it needs to be an open finish . limelite is not cheap, you may consider thistle dry coat plaster, sand and cement with additives.

I have just looked at their products and the have,
limelite high impact finish plaster
limelite whitewall one coat plaster
limelite renovating plaster
limelite backing plaster
so the backing plaster has to be done in either one coat or two successive coats but when the first is still wetish,it doesn't say on their site the max thickness of the backing what do you think this would be as you mentioned it did slump a bit? Also would it be the renovating or the high impact finish on top of this?:RpS_thumbup:

I find either one good to use ,but you need to change timings from gypsum ,backing coat knock it up and leave it standing for a while maybe bead up have a coffee then start using it(no need to knock it up again it softens up just getting it to your handboard/hawk), same with skim knock it up and leave it 5 then knock it up again, backing will skim better if its left 48hrs you think its going to suck like a bitch but it doesn't

I have just looked at their products and the have,
limelite high impact finish plaster
limelite whitewall one coat plaster
limelite renovating plaster
limelite backing plaster
so the backing plaster has to be done in either one coat or two successive coats but when the first is still wetish,it doesn't say on their site the max thickness of the backing what do you think this would be as you mentioned it did slump a bit? Also would it be the renovating or the high impact finish on top of this?:RpS_thumbup:

you mix limelite backing plaster in the same fashion as hardwall.
skim with high impact.
i have never used their one coat plaster and have not seen their renovating plaster for about 20 years.

Ive used loads of the limelight renovating it a bit of a bitch to use probably worst of all backing plasters defo leave 24 hrs and dont play with it too much :RpS_thumbup:

Renovating plaster is a great product to use. It's just a lightweight sand/cement/lime backing coat with fibres and salt inhibitors in it. Keep away from dri coat. I know it's cheaper but it's shite.

renovating for the backing and high impact finish, its lovely to use, finish with the sponge and dont trowel over too much, it doesnt come up like multi finish

Shouldn't be used instead of lime, it is cement based and doesn't 'breathe' like a lime plaster.

apparently it is breathable, but not as in the context of natural lime. its a bit like comparing krend to lime render, just not in the same ballpark

Shouldn't be used instead of lime, it is cement based and doesn't 'breathe' like a lime plaster.
I understand this,the property isn't listed,it doesn't suffer from damp issues and after looking at the property a few days ago it has a traditional lime plaster that in some areas has been over skimmed with gypsum so limelite will probably be a good product to use.it is cement/lime based and is formulated to be breathable but obviously not to the extent of a traditional lime system.

Status
Not open for further replies.