Lime ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lime in the scratch coat will kill you in warm weather or over big areas . Its handy in cold weather when there is no suction though.
If you still have lime scratch to finish over , wet it last thing at night just before it gets dark . Hold the hose at the top of the wall and let it run all the way to the ground until the wall is shining wet . You could do this twice if you have the time . By doing this I find that the water isnt evaporated but instead soaks into the wall and helps to hold the top coat tomorrow .
Get on the wall first thing in the morning then before the sun gets on the wall give it two wettings again while you are mixing . Give it the second wetting just before you are ready to throw on but wait until the sheen of water has gone before putting anything on the wall .

What is feb lads ?
How the feck can ye spread the scratch coat without waterproofer ?

How the feck can ye spread the scratch coat without waterproofer ? How the feck do ye spread ur sand and cement coat when doin' internal work?

After years of trying to get a mix that doesn't crack I have used this one for past three years and found it doesn't crack tho the sand must be well graded no crushed sandstone found that shrinks like mad. The mix is 3 builders buckets of sand to 1x gallon bucket of lime to 1x gallon bucket of cement and if using Feb like ever build 1shot just use to the first measure 5ml any more is too much. I also find this a good mix for scratch coat. Soak it down and you'll find the lime retains the water for longer where as waterproofer in scratch repels the the water more takes more soaking only in my experience anyway

WAterprrofer in ya top coat with Lime, thats a no no, the 2 do different things, so not good for rubbing up, INMHO.

We never use lime with a water-proofer. From what I've read lime opens up the mix allowing it to breathe so is working against waterproofing ad-mixes. Last few largish render jobs we've done we were specced Silk1 (one litre per mix in a half bag mixer) + 5 plastering sand /1 cement ratio in the scratch coat. The Silka was supplied in drums for us by the company we subbied to. Usally used the small bottles of Silka with the measuring thingy on the top. Topped off with a 5/1 + plasticiser - tried it with waterproofer but the top coat slid off in places where it was thick.

Next question, scratching up or across - straight or wavy lines (or do you draw pics like a big cock'n'balls) :rolleyes) :RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.