left to right

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Price

Been taught to start skimming walls left to right I don't know why I never asked just did it now I am wondering why not right to left whats the difference??????

I put on top down, bottom up but for a while now I been flattening sideways with plastic mainly to save my back ache.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the reason for right to left basecoat Keith?
I was always told ,you join to what,s on the wall ,less falls off ,and it is easy to keep the thickness ,could be a load of old b*ll***s ,but i do it like that now !lol

You put more pressure on the heel of your trowel than the toe. So when skimming you don't want to leave trowel lines in but when your floating you compress the material on the wall with the heel.

Reactions: Pug
I sometimes put ceiling skims on as if floating, it goes on in a more consistent thickness and feels natural. Once on though i flatten as usual. You should all try it sometime.

What's the reason for right to left basecoat Keith?

The gear is heavier and you put it thicker.If you put it as normal, your elbow will be f**k*d 10x quicker. This way you put the stress on your forearm,not elbow.This is why I like to load 20' trowel and use both hands ;).
Waiting for the Rossicarbonsteel 20' super wide trowel, which will allow me to put on at least 7 large bucket trowels :bananahappy:

I always skim right to left for the first horizontal spread a couple of trowel lengths down and then pull up and along left to right I don't find it weird In fact if you turn your wall 90 degrees anti clockwise you wouldn't start from the bottom up would you IMO and probably my opinion

The gear is heavier and you put it thicker.If you put it as normal, your elbow will be f**k*d 10x quicker. This way you put the stress on your forearm,not elbow.This is why I like to load 20' trowel and use both hands ;).
Waiting for the Rossicarbonsteel 20' super wide trowel, which will allow me to put on at least 7 large bucket trowels :bananahappy:
Erhh...join the cue bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.