Leaving a plaster wall unpainted

Members online

starpainter

Hello all - I am a homeowner with extensive newly plastered walls. I've read the thread about how they need to be protected from water absorption and also about the paint color new plaster. My issue is a little different. I not only love the color of the unpainted plaster but also the beautiful swirls that have been left in the color as it dried, an adobe like effect. What I'd like to find out is does anyone have experience with a product that I could use to hide the less attractive leftovers such as color transitions across the underlying plasterboard edges and advice on how to apply it artistically. For information, it's a very old stone house. Thanks.
F214580B-CEFE-4054-A34A-E1CAD9933A09.jpeg

Hello all - I am a homeowner with extensive newly plastered walls. I've read the thread about how they need to be protected from water absorption and also about the paint color new plaster. My issue is a little different. I not only love the color of the unpainted plaster but also the beautiful swirls that have been left in the color as it dried, an adobe like effect. What I'd like to find out is does anyone have experience with a product that I could use to hide the less attractive leftovers such as color transitions across the underlying plasterboard edges and advice on how to apply it artistically. For information, it's a very old stone house. Thanks.
View attachment 37710
Pva it.

on an old mill restoration we used universal plaster which is white. the architect wanted to leave the walls plaster finish. we mixed some LUX washing flakes up fairly thick applied them with a sponge then polished with a lambs wool rag.
these LUX flakes can be removed at anytime using warm water.

on an old mill restoration we used universal plaster which is white. the architect wanted to leave the walls plaster finish. we mixed some LUX washing flakes up fairly thick applied them with a sponge then polished with a lambs wool rag.
these LUX flakes can be removed at anytime using warm water.
Used to love universal one coat, then it started going of too quickly, every batch almost getting quicker, then they stopped producing it in 25kg bags. Only a few months ago, shame, loved the stuff, used it for years.

View attachment 37710
Bluegrit it

Tbh I get asked this a lot when plaster has dried out , “ can we just leave it as it looks so nice ? “
I say yes you can but do bare in mind that it’s hydroscopic

Tbh I get asked this a lot when plaster has dried out , “ can we just leave it as it looks so nice ? “
I say yes you can but do bare in mind that it’s hydroscopic
Returned to a job once and thought. Wow them walls have dried perfect. Then noticed cutting in still needed doing and they had painted em same colour as dried plaster

Thanks for the suggestions - and the wit ! I understand the suggestion to PVA it, or soap it (I've also heard wax can be used), and the need to pay attention to using a mat finish. What hasn't been answered is what can I do about the bits that show less than attractive patterns. One example is the straight line underneath the interior window, which is due to the shape of the tape visible through the plaster. It's more ugly and obvious in other places. Otherwise I love the antique look.

An obvious solution is to use a matched color paint to wipe over and disguise the ugly bits. Would I need to do that before or after applying the pva? I don't know how the hygroscopic properties of the plaster would affect the process if I paint before using the pva, and on the other hand don't know how good the paint would look on top of the pva: it might have a different sheen and look bad. Anyone have any experience with this particular situation?

Thanks for the suggestions - and the wit ! I understand the suggestion to PVA it, or soap it (I've also heard wax can be used), and the need to pay attention to using a mat finish. What hasn't been answered is what can I do about the bits that show less than attractive patterns. One example is the straight line underneath the interior window, which is due to the shape of the tape visible through the plaster. It's more ugly and obvious in other places. Otherwise I love the antique look.

An obvious solution is to use a matched color paint to wipe over and disguise the ugly bits. Would I need to do that before or after applying the pva? I don't know how the hygroscopic properties of the plaster would affect the process if I paint before using the pva, and on the other hand don't know how good the paint would look on top of the pva: it might have a different sheen and look bad. Anyone have any experience with this particular situation?
pull of that shitty scrim tape and replace it with sbeadfix tape it will give a pleasing pattern full of interesting circles.

You can wax newly plastered walls mate to keep the effect (y)