Lath and plaster ceiling fix options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm staying neutral on this subject as I can't be f**k*d to argue and to be honest I don't know what is best and what is right I just do what I think will help the client.
I do have a question which is for you imago.

You mention about a few extra sheets of plasterboard being an issue an can cause sagging.

Now what about what people put in there loft?
When or where is this weight accounted for and how exactly as some out there life's belongings in the loft aswell as boarding it out?
Shouldn't this be a concern more than the boards?
Just a question by the way not trying to prove a point etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're absolutely right, it's a much bigger issue. There isn't any account taken for weight in a loft, the ceiling joists are only spec'd to carry the weight of the ceiling with a margin. That's why you have to fit big steels in a loft conversion.

You're absolutely right, it's a much bigger issue. There isn't any account taken for weight in a loft, the ceiling joists are only spec'd to carry the weight of the ceiling with a margin. That's why you have to fit big steels in a loft conversion.

Right so all these blokes at a desk doing calcs making it seem all fancy and clever take no account for any weight above in lofts!?
Yet if you asked anyone what they use a loft for, you would get an answer of storage whether it be a quilt, pillow, cannabis (cough cough) or a bloody motorbike!

I know everyone stores something different so weights can vary but they should have some allowance in them! Or just make them the same a the ceiling joists for the ground floor.

It's the same as the building regs they bring out, they are so contradicting with there demands.
One minute a house should be able to breathe the next it should be air tight. Wtf!

It's just utter bollucks most of the time!

Thanks for answering though [emoji106]

Lath and plaster ceiling fix options?

Right so all these blokes at a desk doing calcs making it seem all fancy and clever take no account for any weight above in lofts!?
Yet if you asked anyone what they use a loft for, you would get an answer of storage whether it be a quilt, pillow, cannabis (cough cough) or a bloody motorbike!

I know everyone stores something different so weights can vary but they should have some allowance in them! Or just make them the same a the ceiling joists for the ground floor.

It's the same as the building regs they bring out, they are so contradicting with there demands.
One minute a house should be able to breathe the next it should be air tight. Wtf!

It's just utter bollucks most of the time!

Thanks for answering though [emoji106]

That about sums it up, and there are two reasons for it, planning and finance. If you design a loft space for storage it turns a two storey house into a three storey house which are much harder to get planning for and need fire doors for every room, a smoke alarm system and an enclosed escape route. The finance angle is the cost across an estate of making a non habitable space (to avoid planning issues) that costs the same to create as a habitable floor, but adds nothing to the value of the house.

Ever notice how small a loft hatch is when they're put in at build? Make it too small to get stuff through and it dodges the issue.

If a customer wanted to make a loft space suitable for storage in an average three bed terrace or semi it's going to cost a few grand. People don't want to spend that sort of money unless they're going to get it back so they only do anything when they have to for building regs if they're converting it to a habitable room.

That about sums it up, and there are two reasons for it, planning and finance. If you design a loft space for storage it turns a two storey house into a three storey house which are much harder to get planning for and need fire doors for every room, a smoke alarm system and an enclosed escape route. The finance angle is the cost across an estate of making a non habitable space (to avoid planning issues) that costs the same to create as a habitable floor, but adds nothing to the value of the house.

Ever notice how small a loft hatch is when they're put in at build? Make it too small to get stuff through and it dodges the issue.

If a customer wanted to make a loft space suitable for storage in an average three bed terrace or semi it's going to cost a few grand. People don't want to spend that sort of money unless they're going to get it back so they only do anything when they have to for building regs if they're converting it to a habitable room.

Hats off to you, your a man with a lot of knowledge [emoji106][emoji106] no doubt you are good at what you do and know, even if some people think you are smug with it!
I'm sure you have a quote of some sort up your sleeve to describe that last sentence aswell [emoji106][emoji106]

Hats off to you, your a man with a lot of knowledge [emoji106][emoji106] no doubt you are good at what you do and know, even if some people think you are smug with it!
I'm sure you have a quote of some sort up your sleeve to describe that last sentence aswell [emoji106][emoji106]

Is this buildersnet or what
I already said sorry
:hola:

I still right though
:risas:

@imago / officeboy, what shall I wear at the erm office tomorrow then? Won't I get a suit a bit dirty & dusty? :(
Won't my tie get plaster on the tip when I bend over the mixing bucket, ohh er missus :eek:

on my first day at work i was sent home with a letter for my mother which stated that every employee had to wear a neck tie and be properly dressed at all times.
we had to serve a 6 month probation period before being offered an apprenticeship. you had to be in the yard at 6.30 am, 6 days a week if you were late twice, do not bother to turn up again !

Why not melt down the motorbike and cast it into some kind of latticework frame, bolted into the walls, to support the overboarding and prevent sag? Seems like the obvious solution to me...

(sorry - I couldn't resist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.