Large companies

Members online

hi how do you guys find working for large new build company's i.e persimmons and Taylor wimpey do they hire direct or use large plastering companies also what's the money like thanks

Worked with a for a few large firms in the late 90s, Money was pathetic and you had to go like f**k to make any.

Also many times dependant on other trades pulling their finger out and getting on. s**t work, s**t environment. Never again.

Wimpy....... never ever again. Learnt a lot of tiling there...... c***s. It's not what you know with them, rather who you know.

hi how do you guys find working for large new build company's i.e persimmons and Taylor wimpey do they hire direct or use large plastering companies also what's the money like thanks

Im sure you know being a plasterer youl only get out of it ££££ as to the effort you put into it.

I get 3.30 - 3.60 m2 got a plot to start on the 3rd it's £2885.00 to skim me and mate do it in 6 easy days doing two hits a day

Take take a quid a sq off that lower rate that's what spreads I know are getting round my way on site I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't entertain it. They're all c**ts! Health & safety overload, s**t rates, unrealistic programs, incompetent project manages, supply your own power. f**k right off!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastering rates have always been poor I cannot remember anyone bragging about good rates.

The lads I know on metre-age are young and fit. Also desperate for every penny they can get their hands on. I was young, fit and desperate once.

I realised plastering was a mugs game and gladly walked out of it at 32 years old. Never regretted it.

What price work does for you though is make you time efficient, something you acquire and take with you. I have been on price ever since but I give the price not take it.

For lads brought up on day work they don't stand a chance out there on sites.

Plastering rates have always been poor I cannot remember anyone bragging about good rates.

The lads I know on metre-age are young and fit. Also desperate for every penny they can get their hands on. I was young, fit and desperate once.

I realised plastering was a mugs game and gladly walked out of it at 32 years old. Never regretted it.

What price work does for you though is make you time efficient, something you acquire and take with you. I have been on price ever since but I give the price not take it.

For lads brought up on day work they don't stand a chance out there on sites.

Very well summed up, the best thing working on price gave me was speed. We used to get £1.20 a metre and had to go like the clappers. Just turned down 20 houses for a big firm, I know it'll be more hassle than it's worth. They offered me less to supply and fit the externals than I can get labour only .

These big companies prey on the current market demands.

I have known contracts won pre economy crash and yet they say prices have dropped. Have they heck. Their prices haven't dropped.

I went to a building consulting meeting back in the 90's from a company who was then trying to compete with the likes of FMB. They was good and they showed us how a crash in the market made them more money than boom times. How in the 70's housing market crash some companies prospered with good marketing. In the 80's recession a company prospered making pre frabricated extensions and completed in 3 weeks. The owners made millions when others went to the wall.

Plasterers earn every penny.

Very well summed up, the best thing working on price gave me was speed. We used to get £1.20 a metre and had to go like the clappers. Just turned down 20 houses for a big firm, I know it'll be more hassle than it's worth. They offered me less to supply and fit the externals than I can get labour only .
That annoys me so much, the way they offer those shite rates out waiting on some mug taking it so that can make make more cash for themselves. Power needs to go back into the hands of the person carrying out the work not the one subbying it out to lowest bidder

That annoys me so much, the way they offer those shite rates out waiting on some mug taking it so that can make make more cash for themselves. Power needs to go back into the hands of the person carrying out the work not the one subbying it out to lowest bidder

I remember when I used to quote a rate or price...not the other way round. I never discuss rates but in this case it was £12 a metre supply sand and cement. I told him I'd want more than that labour only

We got offered a load of work in Manchester just before Christmas, by the time they'd taken tax off , citb ,and retention it worked out at £ 2.10 m2 for skim
Not good !

These big companies prey on the current market demands.

I have known contracts won pre economy crash and yet they say prices have dropped. Have they heck. Their prices haven't dropped.

I went to a building consulting meeting back in the 90's from a company who was then trying to compete with the likes of FMB. They was good and they showed us how a crash in the market made them more money than boom times. How in the 70's housing market crash some companies prospered with good marketing. In the 80's recession a company prospered making pre frabricated extensions and completed in 3 weeks. The owners made millions when others went to the wall.

Plasterers earn every penny.

Is right John
How many spreads round this region are still getting mid recession rates while the developers take full advantage of the cheap labour, they will keep it going as long as possible. 3 years down the line yet it only took 6 weeks for the rates to fall by half.
"Spreads" however skilled or not are 10 a penny up here.
Measures works will always be a mugs game

We got offered a load of work in Manchester just before Christmas, by the time they'd taken tax off , citb ,and retention it worked out at £ 2.10 m2 for skim
Not good !

That's more than i wouldv thought for Manchester currently after tax and citb