large ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey326

gonna skim my own ceiling in my house which is quite big but im gonna be doing it on a hop up cause i dont use stilts.
whats the best way to trowel it up because im gonna end up leaving lines when it comes to the middle section of the wall cause i cant take it from the edge (if you understand what i mean).

u make no sense thought it was a ceiling u were doin where did a wall come from if you cant finish ur self get a man that can :eek: :eek:

I work all the way round coming out from the edges leaving a square in the middle. Let the plaster pick up a bit and go steady in the middle and the lines will go.

as chunky boy said get somebody that can do it,desent size ceiling of say 20m2 on a hop up no not the way m8,first thing you need before anything else is a decent set up,room clear,steps hop ups planks,they were their long before stilts although stilts way forward.then once set seal glue first gauge cover whole ceiling in one.the smoother you lay on the easier for you,drop back to start cut back all ceilng edges.if ceiling firmed up start flatten down ready for second coat.same procedure for second coat,then wet trowel dry trowel.finish with a mint job.each to their own method but workin all round edges then finish middle.mmm not for me ,

Just trowel it back the ways ,start at edge then come behind yourself again working backwards to the other edge. hope this makes sense!

chunkyboy said:
u make no sense thought it was a ceiling u were doin where did a wall come from if you cant finish ur self get a man that can :eek: :eek:

if i was gonna get someone in to do it then i wouldnt be asking on here would i?

i would rather do it myself cause i need the practice on a large ceiling and seeing as its my own i aint gotta worry to much about f'ing it up.

cheers for advice from everyone else

start left hand side in the middle then bring in from edge that way you wont leave marks

all lines trowl out any way and if u dry trowl at the end should be ok ,.,.if its 2 big u could cut it in half..with some slrim..works reali well done it a few times when plastering big areas that aint finished beein built..

start left hand corner facing window...stripe along window edge, then start left hand corner same as grand ,work my way along to right , come back to left edge back stroke with muck then forward push to wipe out ...work along to right edge ,,,carry on to back wall...turn around and last run to come back on yourself....ie typewriter method...leaves flat and little smoothing down...each stroke wipes out previous stroke

from left stroke out , then work right hand edge, turn around last lione as before...but slower than typewriter method.....even seen a guy putting blobs on every couple of feet then smoothing then down......for him it worked, but funny bas feck to watch........typewriter method works for me, get it on quicker, get second on quicker....do more ..get paid more...and saves time on smoothing down as its nearly smooth already

nah ...think people adapt to different ways...i still find i lay ceilings on same way i was taught, as its the best way and quickest (for me)...but changed the way i was taught walls instead of stripe on left and top then in 2....so doing walls in 3 but now ..now come from top to half waydown and bottom to middle ie now in 2....find that way quicker too......but i do prefer doing ceilings...but then again i am a bit of a freak, sure that will change the older i get

with a celin i allway pull the sides in first left and then right...

>>>> <<<<

>>>> <<<<

>>>> <<<<

then fill the centre...

top to bottem...

just that way i never get lost..

walls i pull left and right in ..then from top 2 half way and then bottom to meet middle...

TrowelADDICT said:
warriorupnorth said:

is this reply to my comment....... sorry i couldnt get my head round what phippsy said ;D
No sorry mate just a wow in general as i can't believe something so basic is being discussed , sorry i thought it was a plasterers forum and not a tell oddjobb man how to plaster in one easy lesson, Not aimed at anyone person in particular, apart from obvious ::)

nice way of explaining oasis ;D
Trowel addict

i------------------
ivvvvvvvvvvvvvi
ivvvvvvvvvvvvvi
ivvvvvvvvvvvvvi
ivvvvvvvvvvvvvi
ivvvvvvvvvvvvvi
^^^^^^^^^^i
-------------------
was the way i was taught, i & - are stripes and v & ^ are strokes, as in oasis's explaination, but slightly different now...
and walls taught

-----------------
i))))))))))))))))(
i^^^^^^^^^(
i^^^^^^^^^(

but changed when working with a good friend when i started
------------------
iVVVVVVVVVVVi
i^^^^^^^^^i

lol

\\\\\\\\\\\//////////
///////////\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\//////////
///////////\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\//////////
///////////\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\////////// and fick the middle ;D

warriorupnorth said:
TrowelADDICT said:
warriorupnorth said:

is this reply to my comment....... sorry i couldnt get my head round what phippsy said ;D
No sorry mate just a wow in general as i can't believe something so basic is being discussed , sorry i thought it was a plasterers forum and not a tell oddjobb man how to plaster in one easy lesson, Not aimed at anyone person in particular, apart from obvious ::)

yeah it is a plasterers forum and im an apprentice so im asking for advice on the best way to do something that is to do with plastering. Not gonna go and ask on an 'oddjob' forum am i. But if this topic is so below you then why bother posting in it? Or why dont you make a youtube clip if you wanna let everyone know how good and experienced you are at plastering ;)

typewriter method sounds good, think im gonna try that out.

bailey326 said:
warriorupnorth said:
TrowelADDICT said:
warriorupnorth said:

yeah it is a plasterers forum and im an apprentice so im asking for advice on the best way to do something that is to do with plastering. Not gonna go and ask on an 'oddjob' forum am i. But if this topic is so below you then why bother posting in it? Or why dont you make a youtube clip if you wanna let everyone know how good and experienced you are at plastering ;)

typewriter method sounds good, think im gonna try that out.
you tell em me old china,personaly i just bo!!ock it on any way it goes and sort it out later,jmo ;)

bailey is the ceiling square or rectangle mate if rectangle go across the narrowest that way less strokes mate keep at it you will get there

grand wizard said:
bailey is the ceiling square or rectangle mate if rectangle go across the narrowest that way less strokes mate keep at it you will get there
ah mr machine man there is a real plasterer lurkin inside ya,its your machine holdin you back methinks! :D

ive been a real plasterer for quite a while now i think do you wanna buy my machine ;D

grand wizard said:
ive been a real plasterer for quite a while now i think do you wanna buy my machine ;D
aint got the work for it mate,but the first time i do i might be in touch ;)

i only render,these days its mostly tight coat systems ,less than thirty bags a house,but i did some machine spec stuff early this year but without a machine,140-160 bags a number nearly feckin killed me!

Status
Not open for further replies.