Lafarge G-Tec Render Board

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody had any experience with this product? Thinking of using it on a timber framed house instead of Aqua panel. Its lighter and easier to cut but I'm a bit dubious about it - cause it looks and feels like plasterboard.
Does it take both mineral and acrylic systems?

Has anybody had any experience with this product? Thinking of using it on a timber framed house instead of Aqua panel. Its lighter and easier to cut but I'm a bit dubious about it - cause it looks and feels like plasterboard.
Does it take both mineral and acrylic systems?

yes we use it frequently, for acrylic renders.
its slicone coated so it will take the weather.

g-tec will take mineral but the spec is, maite scratch coat with mesh (comb it through well) when its fully dried out you can apply monorex EHI over that

so maybe better just to maite mesh and finish flat then just add acrylic texture

g tec boards are also more cost effective than aqua panels per sqm even with your 355 mesh.

If you were going to build your own house, would you put a gypsum board on the outside?

LaFarge Gtec Renderboard is only approved for use with Parex, not K Rend (LaFarge do not recomend the use of their Aquaboard as a render carrier now.....)

OK - I am a bit bias..... I am the Knauf Aquapanel Exterior Spec Manager.
Contact me for help if you want rlord@knauf.co.uk

If you were going to build your own house, would you put a gypsum board on the outside?

LaFarge Gtec Renderboard is only approved for use with Parex, not K Rend (LaFarge do not recomend the use of their Aquaboard as a render carrier now.....)

I think i have to agree, the aquapanel have a lot more substance to them, and they do cut easily enough, downside is the weight but not bad to hang the 1200-900 on your own

yes id use a gypsum board, theres no reason not to as a feasable alternative. it has the the full BBA in conjuncttion with Parex as you say.

Parex are (or were) happy for an installer to use either the knauf or the lafarge version, last time i checked anyway

yes id use a gypsum board, theres no reason not to as a feasable alternative. it has the the full BBA in conjuncttion with Parex as you say.

and the maite basecoat is prob the one of if not the best out there as far as polymeric thin coatings go, parex claim 50% more co polymer than others but anyhow it would protect the board well enough but;

if it were my own house I would go with the thomas armstrong/thin joint blockwall system = no mortar joints and single skin covered externally with an EWI system marmo or parex etc, no frames, no racking board bollix = essentially there for fast building

Last edited:
Did a job using gtec aqua board and the downpipes were left for a couple of months draining over fixed boards. By the time we got there big sections of the orange paper had bubbled away from the core of the board. Had to cut back to sound paper but maite with mesh sorted it no probs. it's a bizarre sight tho seeing a building plasterboarded on the outside. You could even dot & dab with maite a tired facade with cracking issues etc for a quick thin coat renovation job just like inside work.

Did a job using gtec aqua board and the downpipes were left for a couple of months draining over fixed boards. By the time we got there big sections of the orange paper had bubbled away from the core of the board. Had to cut back to sound paper but maite with mesh sorted it no probs. it's a bizarre sight tho seeing a building plasterboarded on the outside. You could even dot & dab with maite a tired facade with cracking issues etc for a quick thin coat renovation job just like inside work.

we had a similiar senerio on a current project were doing,
boarded it all before christmas,and came to it a few week since, and that had bubbled a bit but maitie and mesh went over it fine.

we had a similiar senerio on a current project were doing,
boarded it all before christmas,and came to it a few week since, and that had bubbled a bit but maitie and mesh went over it fine.

That would not happen with aqua panel, if that's happened over a month what sort off de lamination.can you expect over several years

Well said Paul!!
If a Gypsum board was so good as a direct render carrier board, wouldn't all the drywall manufacturers be making them - and all the render system suppliers be approving them........?
Knauf Aquapanel Exterior is 100% cement core (no particles) with a wrapped mesh holding together. It is completely water resistant and weatherproof...... leave it open for upto 6 months without a problem, clean it down and render (tape and joint it using Aquapanel T&J and you have a weatherproof wall). Aquapanel comes in smaller 1200 x 900mm boards (as well as 2400 x 900 - install horizontally) - so weight is not such an issue.....
OK - I am biased...... but it seems obvious - doesn't it?
Yes Parex approves Knauf Aquapanel as well, so do other render system suppliers........
Contact me for more info or assistance, if needed - rlord@knauf.co.uk - 07918766577

I used the 1200 x 900 last time around, built a "shark fin" feature over the top of a building out of metal and board with a thight coat render over that

Aquapanel is not a tapered board, the tape and joint sits on the face of the board - so although you could, it would look a bit strange..... It has been done in semi exposed bin areas and underground carparks - as a cheap non public viewed option.....
To get a long term painted wall (and a better finish), apply a thin coat basecoat and mesh (5mm), then sponge up just before it drys, and paint.

As I understand it - the Gtec Aquaboard is for internal tiling and sheathing...... The Gtec Renderboard is for direct applied render with Parex..........
...... the only difference.... colour of the paper.........(oh - and the renderboard is about £2 / m2 more expensive). But LaFarge don't approve the Aquaboard with render anymore..... your risk, their extra profit!

very true.....
you can really put a lot of time in to plumb up boards, level them out, then put a thicker basecoat on (more expence) and get a smooth finish.....
If you were going to build your own house, you would do things without the money constraints and get it really nice!
But the market determins the quality of work, and how long it will last........

But the market determins the quality of work, and how long it will last........

True. and the very reason why, If we cant do the job properly for the right money, we wont do the job......

.......we are happy to leave cutting corners to others

Just like to say I got left 15mm beads to do some webber and I'm pissed right off I've got too put it on thicker and I ran out of dab adhesive so had to stick 3 up with multi

That would not happen with aqua panel, if that's happened over a month what sort off de lamination.can you expect over several years

it would be weathertight tho once rendered, time will tell i guess.
im just working to the spec given to me, and following it religously thus to avoid any warranty issues.the client gets what the client wants.

Last edited:
And in today's money who gives a fu k along as it stays on long enough to get youre retention

nah theres none of this retention business on this as im direct for architect and not principal contractor, but im tied to the 10 year warranty. its a one and a half million house so quality of job is paramount.

Thanks for all your imput, I'm gonna do the job in Knauf Aqua Panel. I think its the best option, Much more substance/strenght to it and i trust it!and i don't think that a paper backed board will stand the test of time, it's bound to get damp at some stage and it sound like most of you would agree.
Runswithsissors, I will call you tmrw, just need a bit of advice on a couple of points please

Status
Not open for further replies.