Labouring, starting out

Members online

Hold up a min. Apart from our lass and a few old dears i.ve not met anyone who can make a proper cup of tea. You were in navy so i.m guessing tea bags took out . ....good luck with it but as @zombie said i.d have stayed at lidl

Hi all, sorry to bump my old post. I just thought I’d update you as you all made an effort in posting your replies.
I worked at Lidl for approx 6 months, I was promoted to duty manager and they wanted me to be assistant manager but I just didn’t want it, whilst there I was applying for labouring.
A building company took me on as a labourer, hod carrying, digging and general labouring duties.

Two weeks ago a little birdie told the boss I can do plastering, to which I replied ‘on a diy sort of basis and scale’.
Since then I’ve been given a few repair jobs, window reveals and above windows where a new steel has been put in.
Boss was pleased with the quality of my work and has given me more repairs.

I enjoy it doing hardwall and multi, but to me the speed is not there, I have to mix enough for first coat then mix another for 2nd.
I have made mistakes (ie, forgot to put angle bead on) but I’m happy to admit them and learn from them.

Thank you for your replies
Keep the faith mate.well done and good luck

Thank you for your response, I would be happy to go self employed but I didn't know where to start to do that.
I've offered my services for free labour for now, whilst doing that the plasterer and myself can discuss the next steps. Bloodymindedness and hard graft sounds good to me.
This wouldn't be just to make a few quid quickly, I want a career out of it so in my opinion you reap what you sow.
I have read a few posts on here where some people think they are king d*ck after a short course, that isn't me. I would work hard and learn fast to become an asset to my employer.
I like your attitude dude.
I always worked with companies and will be coming back to start up myself next year. Been living abroad for 5 years. Time-served plasterer of 9/10 years though I am at a slight advantage, although my ceiling and wall might not be as good as the ones in your pictures haha.

But in some ways we are similar. I've asked all the guys, some in private messages, on how to start up and they are a great bunch, honestly. They will help as much as they can as long as your not a complete knobber

One thing I'll say is, you seem genuine and have the right attitude. You also have kind eyes hahaha
I think you'll make it. You seem willing to succeed.

So anyway. I rambled on a touch. I'm just making the finishing steps on finding my new location in England next year. Let us know how you get on. Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask me.

Good luck

Are you still looking for a company to start with? I have work....a lot. Can’t find anyone be that trained or not. I mainly work on the Surrey area, Virginia water, weybridge, ascot. If your interested then please PM me and I can let you know what I’m looking for.

Not sure how yous work it there, but in my experience over here, I've always been employed but in a self employed basis, basically covers employer if work drys up they can just get rid, and don't have to pay holidays etc etc. Good luck searching, a good labourer is like few and far between here, but well worth the money for a good one if they don't need told to set everything up, clean up and have everything sitting ready etc. no doubt the same with yous lads too.

Not allowed to do that here, I think if you work for one contractor for a certain amount of time per year then they must take them on in an employee basis with all the holiday, sick pay etc?
Not sure if I am correct with this, if you supplied labour and materials with invoices you stayed as self employed?

Not allowed to do that here, I think if you work for one contractor for a certain amount of time per year then they must take them on in an employee basis with all the holiday, sick pay etc?
Not sure if I am correct with this, if you supplied labour and materials with invoices you stayed as self employed?
No idea mate, I've had no problems yet. Helps if the amount varies now and again? I don't know the ins and outs though if I'm honest. I think they have to offer you to go on the cards or some s**t but I don't know tbh.