labourers, with or without?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnathon said:
Hello Mate
I was told to charge about £70-£90 a wall and £100-£150 for the lid depending on size of room and state of room etc so your looking from £380 to £510, would be interested to hear what other guys think
Hi mate so is that labour only?

i price my jobs by the set (for skimming anyway) 1 set as much as i can comfortably put on on my own without a labourer...
if i then take a labourer on a 2 set job ill try and pull it off in one set...
same price, 200 quid...
if its 3 sets its 300 quid...
and so on

when pricing a job you never ever want to tell the customer a day rate, like chris says you give them a price. What you need to understand that most private customers are working for a lot less per day than you are so they find it hard to get there head around the fact that your earning more.

simplybesty said:
when pricing a job you never ever want to tell the customer a day rate, like chris says you give them a price. What you need to understand that most private customers are working for a lot less per day than you are so they find it hard to get there head around the fact that your earning more.
Good avise mate thanks :)

simplybesty said:
Yea ive made that mistake.Good advise mate.

RainbowThistlePlastering said:
simplybesty said:
...........they find it hard to get there head around the fact that your earning more.

Then tell them to go a 4 day course and they too can make as much as you do ;D
4 day now christ what happened to the 2 week courses? Too long? :D

PhilPlaster said:
Chris W said:
PhilPlaster said:
Im on my own at the mo and only charge for a plasterer plus materials. Do you reckon i should start chargin extra for labourers services as im doin the lot?
im guessin youre jokin here yes?
but just in case youre not, you PRICE for the JOB...
if it was 1 room and 1 room would take you on your own 1 day then youd charge say 2-300 quid...
if you had a labourer and you did it it 1/2 a day would you then charge 350 quid? for the same job?
the point of having a labourer is to make life easier for you, its your choice, when i take a labourer they start off doing next to jack but after a while theyre trowelling up etc, no point em sittin still unless theyre a complete and utter waste of space in which case whats the point? that way i get the job done quicker, say 1/2 a day quicker, which to me is 1/2 a day of MY RATE... I pay the labourer a LABOURERS rate, that means I make more money per hour spent on site and the customer gets a quicker cleaner job (tip - clean up yourself while the lab final trowels, youll be hard pushed to find a labourer that cleans up as well as you but they love to feel part of the 'team' by having a trowel in their hand)
Nah im just new to the pricing game as ive always been cards in for builders. At first i was chargin day rates but then im under pricing. So if one room takes 1 day say 2- 300 quid. I was chargin £100 and they were gettin a bargain! So how'd you come up with what the jobs worth?

i work my price out on a day rate mate, but i dont tell the customer that, i used to charge £150 per day, an thats two sets for me. this year am putting it up to £200 per day though. when it comes to patching and little jobs for less than a day i charge a minimum of £100. thats all labour only mate

no labourer equals more money ;D but also a more aching back at end of the week :-[ which one do u want ???
ive took the money last few years ;)

depends on how you work your labourer / trainee roughas....

i work mine on a trowel, we follow each other round a bigger set, i can put more on cos dont have to worry about losing it if someones flattening in behind me...
so if i do an easy 2 sets on my own i can do that amount in 1 real good set with a labourer... pay him a labourers rate an i get half a sets worth of cash for nothing see?

bodplasterer said:
Just blag your labourer off as a spread just a lazier spread and charge day work ;)
Errr not really the road i want to go down when tryin to get a good reputation so i dont have to advertise. But then again that job in Birkshire worked out alright! ;D

Chris W said:
depends on how you work your labourer / trainee roughas....

i work mine on a trowel, we follow each other round a bigger set, i can put more on cos dont have to worry about losing it if someones flattening in behind me...
so if i do an easy 2 sets on my own i can do that amount in 1 real good set with a labourer... pay him a labourers rate an i get half a sets worth of cash for nothing see?
yeah a good lab im sure is worth his weight just never really used one got use to doing it all myself altho i team up with another spread alot on bigger jobs and that does make life alot easier!

Went to the dole today and asked about takin someone for a few hrs as n when and basically there fu*ked! Was told that they can work less than 15 hrs a week but they have to declare it. No probs but if its say half a morning at £30 it would come out of their dole! Its just not worth it to them is it? So no incentive for them to try and get back into work.
A part from the average dole scum there are some decent folk who just need a chance but if they can get the same money sitting at home then you cant blame them really. I was told that they could keep the first £5......generous! I wish I could take someone on full time but dont have the work or time so I dont want to take someone on only to have to lay them off 2 days later. Was thinkng about staying on my own or taking on a labourer, I guess the decision has been made for me :-\ :-\ :-\

PhilPlaster said:
Went to the dole today and asked about takin someone for a few hrs as n when and basically there fu*ked! Was told that they can work less than 15 hrs a week but they have to declare it. No probs but if its say half a morning at £30 it would come out of their dole! Its just not worth it to them is it? So no incentive for them to try and get back into work.
A part from the average dole scum there are some decent folk who just need a chance but if they can get the same money sitting at home then you cant blame them really. I was told that they could keep the first £5......generous! I wish I could take someone on full time but dont have the work or time so I dont want to take someone on only to have to lay them off 2 days later. Was thinkng about staying on my own or taking on a labourer, I guess the decision has been made for me :-\ :-\ :-\

call at you local building college and get some kid they usually live at home and some are willing to learn so picking him up and dropping him when you need him wont affect their benefits coz they usually dont get any, aslong as you explain this im sure plenty of young lads would swipe your hand off.

Thought about doin this coz i know my local trainer quite well as i did my cscs there. Pity it was in embroidery. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.