K-Rend Rendering disappointed

Members online

When you say distorted reveals do you mean small or not straight? Someone said it was going to be different to top coat it again due to no tolerance with the window reveals - it’s more obvious at the back I think

Just don't pay the 4000 and take him to court for the rest of the money to get it fixed.

Unfortunately plastering is often a compromise , especially on old buildings, started by brickwork not straight , now throw in a window fitter who , with his 6 job fitting experience , does the best he can. It looks ok and he gets paid and dissapears . The plasterer now has to try to keep reveals looking parallel to the render , the windows are most certainly not parallel to the overall wall finish so the render has to distort if you want to keep the reveals perfect so a straight edge at 45° across the render at the corners of windows and doors is not always flat Deeper the reveals the easier to get it flat as reveals won't show 5/10 mm differential .
That said your spread is not a plasterer , as I said before, if you get your money back and want a quick fix then remove the lights , scrape bumps , fill divots , flick with Tyrolean , don't forget to sue the builder for allowing the damage done, not to be nasty but to protect future customers from him

Was thinking yesterday a roughest finish over it using mono would be a quick fix.

Unfortunately plastering is often a compromise , especially on old buildings, started by brickwork not straight , now throw in a window fitter who , with his 6 job fitting experience , does the best he can. It looks ok and he gets paid and dissapears . The plasterer now has to try to keep reveals looking parallel to the render , the windows are most certainly not parallel to the overall wall finish so the render has to distort if you want to keep the reveals perfect so a straight edge at 45° across the render at the corners of windows and doors is not always flat Deeper the reveals the easier to get it flat as reveals won't show 5/10 mm differential .
That said your spread is not a plasterer , as I said before, if you get your money back and want a quick fix then remove the lights , scrape bumps , fill divots , flick with Tyrolean , don't forget to sue the builder for allowing the damage done, not to be nasty but to protect future customers from him
Thank you for the detailed explanation... my builder has an answer to EVERYTHING... thinks it all looks “spot on” and we are the most “difficult customers he has ever met!” We did another renovation 3 years ago with a superb builder who we never had a cross word with or any of his trades - it’s not us, we just wanted a great job - you live and learn heh! I’ve given the builder this thread to have a read through...even after all your comments, he will still say it’s us!!

Thank you for the detailed explanation... my builder has an answer to EVERYTHING... thinks it all looks “spot on” and we are the most “difficult customers he has ever met!” We did another renovation 3 years ago with a superb builder who we never had a cross word with or any of his trades - it’s not us, we just wanted a great job - you live and learn heh! I’ve given the builder this thread to have a read through...even after all your comments, he will still say it’s us!!
Then for the record

Dear builder , fess up
This is a clear sign of someone who knows nothing of quality plastering , it's also a clear sign that you make compromises with all of the other work , not that the finished product isn't passable to the untrained customer but usually it's the stuff that doesn't show doesn't get done ,
You may feel that you have done a fair enough job for the money , that's the risk of going cheap so take it in the chin , learn the lesson and pay out for the mess

Why did you not use the same builder u used last time.

Ps you should be thankful that the customer hasn't named you

Helen, don’t worry about being took to court it isn‘t going to happen. It will be you taking him to court because it is going to cost more than the £4k you owe him to get it put right. The evidence you need is already on here.

That job only being narrow bands is one of the easiest to get flat as glass, you simply rule off tight and flush to the perimeter beads.

What part of the Country are you in?

I wouldn't be interested in any quick fixes to camouflage the work that's already there,
Completely redone at the builders cost is what you want

Helen, don’t worry about being took to court it isn‘t going to happen. It will be you taking him to court because it is going to cost more than the £4k you owe him to get it put right. The evidence you need is already on here.

That job only being narrow bands is one of the easiest to get flat as glass, you simply rule off tight and flush to the perimeter beads.

What part of the Country are you in?
Bristol :)

I’ve witnessed (and recorded) a builder bullying a customer. Just stay calm. Follow the the lads advice. Good luck!

This is prob as bad . @zombie. Believe it or not I got down there and had a dump in a bag
20191109_115826.jpg

It’s very sad to see what’s been done here but you really should of been on the ball and stopped this before the full house was completed! The guy don’t stand a chance in court! Maybe you could get a krend rep out to have a look round and give you a bit of leverage on what’s been done maybe :confused: if the rendering is this bad I really wouldn’t like to look behind the walls inside and roof ect! Probably terrible blockwork bodgin everywhereo_O

The irony is I have 49 emails (not even a lie) talking about making sure the render was done properly as we were so worried about it! Apart from the lumps and bumps all the edges aren’t sharp at all... do they use something special to get those lovely crisp edges?
So you were worried sick about it but didn't ask for his last couple of jobs?

Bristol? Spent a weekend there 2 years ago, very expensive place. £4.50 for a small tub of ice cream in the theatre. If the costs of a tub of ice cream is anything to go by £4k isn’t going to cover it. I suggest you get a surveyors report on the quality and get a solicitor onto the builder.

I did have a similar job what the builder ruined and he purposely damaged it saying the taking the scaffolding down caused the damage and his public liability insurance paid for it.

It’s very sad to see what’s been done here but you really should of been on the ball and stopped this before the full house was completed! The guy don’t stand a chance in court! Maybe you could get a krend rep out to have a look round and give you a bit of leverage on what’s been done maybe :confused: if the rendering is this bad I really wouldn’t like to look behind the walls inside and roof ect! Probably terrible blockwork bodgin everywhereo_O
I know we had to pay £4,000 for a private plasterer to come in and redo all the inside walls!! The entire build has been hell...fighting at every turn but he just shouted us down (as we lived on site in a caravan) said that we were constantly interfering everyday... we weren’t, we were just trying to make sure things were done well. I made a table of every trade and all the issues we had with each one... honestly there was only 1 trade a Carpenter that was amazing... that there wasn’t any problems with!! I have to keep remembering this is not us...

So you were worried sick about it but didn't ask for his last couple of jobs?
I know he’d bring out his phone and show us render pictures of things he had done that looked ok... if you look on a cloudy dull day you don’t notice as much... it’s when the sun shines and you have to remove all the bulbs from the lights is the problem! :-( But he says you can’t view a rendered house under light or sunlight?

I know he’d bring out his phone and show us render pictures of things he had done that looked ok... if you look on a cloudy dull day you don’t notice as much... it’s when the sun shines and you have to remove all the bulbs from the lights is the problem! :-( But he says you can’t view a rendered house under light or sunlight?
He.s twisting a rule. Sun light shows every thing . But no excuse for that

The sun light will show imperfections. But in the pictures u have up is just bad work.

take him to court... you will win... hopefully you will bankrupt him and you will slow him down doing it again

Hello helen , we’re a rendering company from wells about 45 minutes from Bristol . Did you want us to have a look at the job
So you joined in August 2018 and the only message or post you have ever sent is to a vulnerable woman that has had work f**k*d up! Not a hello or anything about yourself or your business or joining in chatting with the lads! You basically just browsing looking for work! Don’t do it @HelenS this has got muppet written all over it! Trust me I been in the game as others on here long enough to spot a pleb! No offence.....well maybe little :ROFLMAO: