jute /hessian scrim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to feel guilty as fook if any cracks appeared until I realised that 2 or 3 mm of finish wasn't quite as strong as I'd thought. When we start doing what the Germans do and leave a building standing for a year before it's plastered, then I'll worry about cracks.

20 odd years ago I was working on a maintenance contract on RAF Stafford. Any new build we did they insisted on the walls having a coat of bonding, Browning on top and Carlite finish as final coat.
We had to dute scrim all internal corners on every coat.
Madness.

on the usaf bases in suffolk, the spec was for jute scrim over all electrical chases. we where also told not to walk on the grass as that is american soil, keep to the pavements!

i still demonstrate with fibre tape, but not a much skill required, do any contracts specify jute/hession scrim for new builds or renovation work these days -
i remember when i started most contracts specified jute/hessian, rather than that tissue paper -cotton scrim :RpS_biggrin:

Very correct, jute/hessian was an excellent way to learn the correct 2 coat thickness, no cheating ect, guaranteed 2 coat thickness every time.
On ceilings we'd tack on with a clout then run the lenth of jute tack opposite end till board joints covered then pre skim n 1st coat. Happy days!

sometimes I would put some jute scrim on a ceiling walking down the scaffold as you do, then I would turn round and the bloody stuff would be wrapped round my face/head, oh how I laughed with the rest of them as I pulled the scrim off my face/head,

i can remember using hessian for scrimming on skeelings,, dubbing out to create radius with board finish, then give it ten minutes the whole fooking lot would hit the floor like a shotgun going off!!...happy days

sometimes I would put some jute scrim on a ceiling walking down the scaffold as you do, then I would turn round and the bloody stuff would be wrapped round my face/head, oh how I laughed with the rest of them as I pulled the scrim off my face/head,

Did you ever plaster your tie into the ceiling Hector?

Status
Not open for further replies.