jute /hessian scrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

puddove

Private Member
hi guys, do any of you guys use the old fashioned jute/hessian scrims on plasterboard joints, on sites or domestics

i still teach my learners how to apply to ceiling /wall angles, a good exercise, for tool control

Last time I used it was on my own ceiling I did asset home. I would still like to see Kris used in training so they learn to put the correct thickness on when skimming instead of being able to see the scrum through their finished work. By the way it's not**** but it's a bitch to use in comparison

hi guys, do any of you guys use the old fashioned jute/hessian scrims on plasterboard joints, on sites or domestics

i still teach my learners how to apply to ceiling /wall angles, a good exercise, for tool control

Good point about the tool control, but if they were to do away with fibatape now I think I'd retire :RpS_scared:

i still demonstrate with fibre tape, but not a much skill required, do any contracts specify jute/hession scrim for new builds or renovation work these days -
i remember when i started most contracts specified jute/hessian, rather than that tissue paper -cotton scrim :RpS_biggrin:

Last time I used it was on my own ceiling I did asset home. I would still like to see Kris used in training so they learn to put the correct thickness on when skimming instead of being able to see the scrum through their finished work. By the way it's not**** but it's a bitch to use in comparison

more skill is required when feeding on especially on ceiling /wall angles ------ and more plaster for covering - :RpS_thumbsup: perhaps as we use new material and techniques we loose some of the skills
or i,m just showing my age :RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

By the way it is good gear,have you ever tried to pull a ceiling down with hessian scrim its hard work

more skill is required when feeding on especially on ceiling /wall angles ------ and more plaster for covering - :RpS_thumbsup: perhaps as we use new material and techniques we loose some of the skills
or i,m just showing my age :RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

Your right about the tool control phil especially on internals, only problem I can see is it makes for too heavy a coat to cover it, especially with the way finish is these days, to me it seems a finer powder with almost no body to it thats why its prone to ripples and stripes if applied uneven or too heavily.
The 1992 code of practice gives 5mm as a spec for finish on board (which would be needed to bury hessian), Bg now spec 2mm as a desired thickness in part I think because of the quality of the raw material.
Its a good thing for your students to learn it, I just wouldn't want to use it on site anymore.

or i,m just showing my age :RpS_scared::RpS_lol:[/Q
Jute scrim was used in the days plasterboard lath was on the go. Scrim round the ceiling / wall angles, bonding on lath, carlite finish top coat in other words 2 coat work.

Your right about the tool control phil especially on internals, only problem I can see is it makes for too heavy a coat to cover it, especially with the way finish is these days, to me it seems a finer powder with almost no body to it thats why its prone to ripples and stripes if applied uneven or too heavily.
The 1992 code of practice gives 5mm as a spec for finish on board (which would be needed to bury hessian), Bg now spec 2mm as a desired thickness in part I think because of the quality of the raw material.
Its a good thing for your students to learn it, I just wouldn't want to use it on site anymore.

hi scott interesting read, do you think the quality of raw material has deteriorated or improved, i totally agree with you about nobody on site or even domestics would want to use it----- if you were doing your own house wold you use it, or stick to self adhesive.
As for my learners i use in the workshop as an exercise to enhance tool control - it is a dying art, but i do embrace new materials and techniques :RpS_thumbsup:

I can't see that great skill is required to put hessian up, just needs a bed and a good flattening ,bit like my ex.

hi scott interesting read, do you think the quality of raw material has deteriorated or improved, i totally agree with you about nobody on site or even domestics would want to use it----- if you were doing your own house wold you use it, or stick to self adhesive.
As for my learners i use in the workshop as an exercise to enhance tool control - it is a dying art, but i do embrace new materials and techniques :RpS_thumbsup:

The finish is steadily getting worse I think phil. Multi/board in particular you can still achieve a quality finish with it but it takes some effort at times.
maybe some of bgs new products require a higher purity of gypsum so reducing the purity in other products.
Their pure-finish is awesome though.
The last time I used hessian was on my old place when i ran out of fibre on a sunday afternoon, I'd forgotten what hateful stuff it was.:RpS_wink:

i still demonstrate with fibre tape, but not a much skill required, do any contracts specify jute/hession scrim for new builds or renovation work these days -
i remember when i started most contracts specified jute/hessian, rather than that tissue paper -cotton scrim :RpS_biggrin:

we done a contract for cambridge university, they phoned british gypsum to ask what is the strongest joint tape and bg replied paper tape!

heres another one for the old bastards,, who remembers having to soak the paper tapes in water before taping out ??

paper tape, coat of joint filler, strongest there is, bit of work tho..

I paper tape all my plasterboard joins when its my own work. Still use jute scrim too when needed on board to floated work but this is rare. I remember carlite finish and used it a lot, used to set my angle beads up with it.
would be interesting to see what the cost of this pure-finish is.

The finish is steadily getting worse I think phil. Multi/board in particular you can still achieve a quality finish with it but it takes some effort at times.
maybe some of bgs new products require a higher purity of gypsum so reducing the purity in other products.
Their pure-finish is awesome though.
The last time I used hessian was on my old place when i ran out of fibre on a sunday afternoon, I'd forgotten what hateful stuff it was.:RpS_wink:

Did you just use it on the BG day out or on a paying job?

Bg only recommend the use of paper tape. If scrim is used and you get cracks they won't want to know! As for jute what's the point in learning that in twenty years I have never used it or been asked to.

That's why all ceilings were floated and skimmed. Much better job too :RpS_thumbup:

Bg only recommend the use of paper tape. If scrim is used and you get cracks they won't want to know! As for jute what's the point in learning that in twenty years I have never used it or been asked to.

If they only recommended paper tape then they wouldn't of included thistle pro tape ft50 in there spec sure guarantee.
Granted paper tape offers better crack resistance but fibre tape is a perfectly acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.