Just over a grand?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

TPF members need to get their act together and their hands in their pockets and donate to Oli and Jess' charity fundraiser.

The total sitting at just over a grand is poor when you consider the number of forum members IMHO. Even a small donation will make a difference, just put in a couple of quid and do it anonymously. (y) Have one less burger/coffee/packet of fags/M&S finest sandwich, Christmas tip, or whatever and donate the value.

We all get quite a bit from this forum for free. Work, advise, product updates, knowledge, information, mental health support, sympathy when times are hard, support when life's having a pop, praise when you do well, a laugh at/with others, virtual/real friendships, hell there's probably even been a few knocking one out at some of the photo's, all for free 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

So I'd say it's only right for everyone to chuck a couple of quid into the forum's charity fund raiser once a year.

TPF members need to get their act together and their hands in their pockets and donate to Oli and Jess' charity fundraiser.

The total sitting at just over a grand is poor when you consider the number of forum members IMHO. Even a small donation will make a difference, just put in a couple of quid and do it anonymously. (y) Have one less burger/coffee/packet of fags/M&S finest sandwich, Christmas tip, or whatever and donate the value.

We all get quite a bit from this forum for free. Work, advise, product updates, knowledge, information, mental health support, sympathy when times are hard, support when life's having a pop, praise when you do well, a laugh at/with others, virtual/real friendships, hell there's probably even been a few knocking one out at some of the photo's, all for free 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

So I'd say it's only right for everyone to chuck a couple of quid into the forum's charity fund raiser once a year.

Put your favourite song on "what's on Gary" thread mate.
Every tune I'm donating another £1 (y)(y)(y)

Tricky one this as while I agree, people shouldn’t feel obligated. I’ve donated twice once myself and once through betting syndicate.

Tricky one this as while I agree, people shouldn’t feel obligated. I’ve donated twice once myself and once through betting syndicate.

It's not about an obligation IMHO, it's just the right thing to do.

Personally I never donate to charities that are for anything to do with humans, because, well fcuk 'em essentially. Maybe it's the apserger's or whatever but I don't have much in the way of empathy for my fellow man.

Forum stuff is a different case though as it's as much about the forum as it is the worthy cause. There's no denying that everyone gets a lot from this forum, and as with anything in life the more you put in (effort, money, time etc) the more you get out.

So to me it seems only fair to chip in when two forum members who are decent people ask us to do so. If the money was demanded then I'd be in what would no doubt be a long queue saying bollox on point of principle. It isn't though, it's people asking for help in doing something which wouldn't be achievable as an individual, but as a group it's perfectly possible to do without having a noticeable impact on anyone.

So I'm not trying to force, obligate or apply pressure to anyone. Just pointing out that the total donated seems low for a forum that has such a large membership who gain so much from it.

With that logic then shouldn’t danny clear the balance with the revenue generated off the advertisements?

Donating to charity is very optional, and there has to be a line or you’d just end up donating all your wages every week.

I donated because I feel like I ‘know’ Jess a bit so it feels closer to home. I also donated to someone on the radio the other day as hearing the young lad was heartbreaking.

But if id just joined a forum and was asked to donate to a charity I’d be a bit put off, as this is a free forum with free advice and let’s be honest most of the advice is shite.

With that logic then shouldn’t danny clear the balance with the revenue generated off the advertisements?

Donating to charity is very optional, and there has to be a line or you’d just end up donating all your wages every week.

I donated because I feel like I ‘know’ Jess a bit so it feels closer to home. I also donated to someone on the radio the other day as hearing the young lad was heartbreaking.

But if id just joined a forum and was asked to donate to a charity I’d be a bit put off, as this is a free forum with free advice and let’s be honest most of the advice is shite.
Except my advice of course.
Fat man in red suits taking all my cash at min

There’s three amazing reasons to donate along with what Larry has said!

You honour the lads on here who have made incredible prize donations as well as Oli’s enormous effort!

It’s a small niche charity where all the money goes to helping the children and bringing their parents together through the bleakest times.

There are really cool prizes to be won!!!

Thank you so much for everyone’s outstanding efforts, you are wonderful people!
If anyone can spare a couple of quid whether you’re long time members or just visiting, it is so deeply appreciated!!

Let’s help a grieving mum, who refuses to give up despite her loss and PTSD, and aid her in the wonderful work she does!

With my sincere thanks x

With that logic then shouldn’t danny clear the balance with the revenue generated off the advertisements?.

That doesn't work as I'm not suggesting that everyone donates everything they've earned as a result of the forum. Advise used, tools bought, work gained. Danny's running a business as most are on here, we use that business for both leisure and work.

Nothing I said suggests otherwise.

I donated because I feel like I ‘know’ Jess a bit so it feels closer to home.

My point exactly, they're people we 'know' asking for assistance.

There are thousands of members who've been on here for years, so even if it were only members who've been here for two years or more donating a couple of quid each that'd be several time the current amount.

As for the quality of advice, I'd refer you back to my earlier post. You get out what you put in. There are a small number of the same members offering useful/good advice each time. I don't believe for a second that everyone else has nothing to offer, they just choose for whatever reason not to. Which means that the charity donations are an opportunity to help with a forum project as an alternative.

Of course I'm not stupid, I realise that there are a large number of people who join the forum purely for what they can get out of it without contributing. That's their choice and it's neither my place nor within my capability to do anything to change that.

Most of the advice is shite, lol!!

I’m just looking at it as a final push! And yes this is obviously close to my heart but it probably is to anyone who has children, I couldn’t imagine losing either of my little nieces and what that would do to my sister. Or imagine being told your child needs life long care. I take my hat off to all the people who try to help those people... including everyone on this forum! :tanguero:

That doesn't work as I'm not suggesting that everyone donates everything they've earned as a result of the forum. Advise used, tools bought, work gained. Danny's running a business as most are on here, we use that business for both leisure and work.

Nothing I said suggests otherwise.

My point exactly, they're people we 'know' asking for assistance.

There are thousands of members who've been on here for years, so even if it were only members who've been here for two years or more donating a couple of quid each that'd be several time the current amount.

As for the quality of advice, I'd refer you back to my earlier post. You get out what you put in. There are a small number of the same members offering useful/good advice each time. I don't believe for a second that everyone else has nothing to offer, they just choose for whatever reason not to. Which means that the charity donations are an opportunity to help with a forum project as an alternative.

Of course I'm not stupid, I realise that there are a large number of people who join the forum purely for what they can get out of it without contributing. That's their choice and it's neither my place nor within my capability to do anything to change that.

I understand your point. But there’s people like me who didn’t come here for advice, I came here for a laugh. I assumed most of the others did too.

There is some good advice here @Rigsby for example goes above and beyond to help people, even chancers like @John j

It would be nice if the balance was met in 10 seconds by all the members but that’s not how the world works. People should donate because they want to, not because they feel like they have too.

Theres loads of big members who haven’t donated , it’s their choice and they shouldn’t be judged for it.

I understand your point. But there’s people like me who didn’t come here for advice, I came here for a laugh. I assumed most of the others did too.

There is some good advice here @Rigsby for example goes above and beyond to help people, even chancers like @John j

It would be nice if the balance was met in 10 seconds by all the members but that’s not how the world works. People should donate because they want to, not because they feel like they have too.

Theres loads of big members who haven’t donated , it’s their choice and they shouldn’t be judged for it.
Been asked dot build a house next

been asked to build a house . It's on tarmac that seems solid. Will i get away with out footings

None of which counters anything I've said. You came here for a laugh and get that so you benefit from the forum.

People do donate because they want, and no one is forcing anyone to donate.

As for judging, they are because that's what people do. You're judging me for judging them. I don't have a problem with that, anymore than I have a problem with people not donating. My point is that people can donate to the charity raised by forum members but choose not to. I disagree with that as a principle, and posted as such. People are free to agree or disagree as they see fit just like they do with anything posted on here.

None of which counters anything I've said. You came here for a laugh and get that so you benefit from the forum.

People do donate because they want, and no one is forcing anyone to donate.

As for judging, they are because that's what people do. You're judging me for judging them. I don't have a problem with that, anymore than I have a problem with people not donating. My point is that people can donate to the charity raised by forum members but choose not to. I disagree with that as a principle, and posted as such. People are free to agree or disagree as they see fit just like they do with anything posted on here.

Just a difference of opinions. Glass half full/empty.

I think a grand (minimum) donated by a bunch of spreads is pretty good.

My point is that people can donate to the charity raised by forum members but choose not to. I disagree with that as a principle, and posted as such.

Your points invalid as people have donated. Do you want everyone to donate or if someone just donated the lot would that suffice? As not sure what the actual problem is.

Moreover there’s still time left I think,
So the theads premature at best.

Imagine the ones in streets asking for money for charity, how many get head down and walk past? Do 1 in 50 donate? So in the grand scheme of things hitting a minimum of 50% of the intended target is pretty good in my book.

On that note, merry f**k**g xmas.

Your points invalid as people have donated. Do you want everyone to donate or if someone just donated the lot would that suffice? As not sure what the actual problem is.

Imagine the ones in streets asking for money for charity, how many get head down and walk past? Do 1 in 50 donate? So in the grand scheme of things hitting a minimum of 50% of the intended target is pretty good in my book.

I think Larrys just saying a couple of quid is nothing in the persuit of community spirit.

I get your point though, I hate any sort of doctrine or obligation forced down anyone’s throat but that’s not his intention, he’s just saying wouldn’t it be nice if everyone who enjoys this forum throws in a couple of quid.

And those people on the street, they are normally for large charities who whilst doing good work often line a lot of people’s pockets with your money.

Thanks for your donations lurpy! You’re a love

I think Larrys just saying a couple of quid is nothing in the persuit of community spirit.

I get your point though, I hate any sort of doctrine or obligation forced down anyone’s throat but that’s not his intention, he’s just saying wouldn’t it be nice if everyone who enjoys this forum throws in a couple of quid.

And those people on the street, they are normally for large charities who whilst doing good work often line a lot of people’s pockets with your money.

Thanks for your donations lurpy! You’re a love

I understand just feels like a negative post. No offence to anyone.

It would be nice if everyone donated. Would be nice if one person donated £2k. Would be nice is secret millionaire chucked in 100k.

We know what would be nice it’s pointless bitching about it. Can’t there be some positivity for once.. “we’ve donated £1000 SO FAR, well done, keep it coming”

@Olican has the right idea at least

You're missing the point, which I thought was quite clear in the first post.

This is a request for donations from the forum by two forum members, the forum provides a great deal for free for everyone that uses it. The forum has a very large membership, and a tiny percentage of that membership (34 people) have donated. Even if you ignore the target, that's quite frankly (IMNSHO) a poor response.

The charity collections on the street have nothing to do with this, and are in no way comparable. It's not even vaguely related.

So in the grand scheme of things, 34 people chipping in over a grand is a very good result. Also in the grand scheme of things several thousand contributing fcuk all is p1ss poor.

The thread is to have a moan and that’s all. I can relate, I do it regularly.

But wining about it is going to be counterproductive.

It would be nice if everyone donated. Would be nice if one person donated £2k. Would be nice is secret millionaire chucked in 100k.

We know what would be nice it’s pointless bitching about it. Can’t there be some positivity for once.. “we’ve donated £1000 SO FAR, well done, keep it coming”

It is a negative post, the truth is often negative, if I said I was sorry about that I'd be lying.

Ten quid donated would be a good thing, a thousand is great and I'm not in any way complaining about that or belittling it.

As for always being positive, well as you said earlier, the world doesn't work like that.

No one could question your generosity, youve been supportive since the start,. I think @imagos sentiments are sincere with his thread, thank you Larry and everyone else have been ledgends , I'm confident we'll hit the 2k still lots happening over next two weeks.

On a side note ; I'm skimming today and the sparky has pissed me off with his poor wiring so I drew a picture of him blowing a fella whilst being anally felated.
IMG_20181124_121825.jpg

It is a negative post, the truth is often negative, if I said I was sorry about that I'd be lying.

Ten quid donated would be a good thing, a thousand is great and I'm not in any way complaining about that or belittling it.

As for always being positive, well as you said earlier, the world doesn't work like that.

Fair enough mate x

No one could question your generosity, youve been supportive since the start,. I think @imagos sentiments are sincere with his thread, thank you Larry and everyone else have been ledgends , I'm confident we'll hit the 2k still lots happening over next two weeks.

On a side note ; I'm skimming today and the sparky has pissed me off with his poor wiring so I drew a picture of him blowing a fella whilst being anally felated.
View attachment 29030

Love the cowboy hat

Well in that case let’s get positive!! Let’s crank up the volume! Dance around in our underwear!! And throw a few coins at an incredible fundraiser organised by no other than @Olican one of our forum greats!!

Let’s smash this s**t!!! :bananahappy:

Fair enough mate x

Anyway, I have to moan about something. It's not like I can join in on the threads moaning about the quality of Multi, the different types of trowels or how hard it is to get hold of a bag of traditional magnetic powdered unicorn horn for a job.

Anyway, I have to moan about something. It's not like I can join in on the threads moaning about the quality of Multi, the different types of trowels or how hard it is to get hold of a bag of traditional magnetic powdered unicorn horn for a job.

Why not? You’re not “one of them” who doesn’t have issues with the gear, are you?

You can moan about @Nisus though! What has that ice cream shitting heritage haemorrhoid been up to recently?

You can moan about @Nisus though! What has that ice cream shitting heritage haemorrhoid been up to recently?

He was complaining about being bored with the heritage work as the lime plaster takes so long to go off he had to stay late (four o'clock!) a couple of times. So I got him boarding the studwork and then he started moaning about that, so next week he'll be skimming the boards he's done with multi. When he starts moaning about that I'll get him back on to the lime plaster.

And so it goes. :aburrido: