just a reminder

Staff online

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
listen chaps just a quick pep talk for fellow spreads.35 years in the trade and over the last few years ive allowed people who cant plaster dictate price etc etc to me.5 months off the trowel and last week did a p1ss easy job that if id been plastering fit i could of done in a day but it took me a day and a half.

my point is chaps it killed me its a hard job even the easy jobs are very demanding,who the fcuk are these non plasterers to even think they can dictate price.i know its other spreads who undercut but dont let being plastering fit and being skilled in a very very tough trade warp your mind.most people would cry if they did what we do in a day it would finish them.

price right for both you and the customer

if plastering was priced fair in terms of effort required, skill and increase in wages then we should be on about £300 daywork

Do you mean non plasterers such as liquid screed companys taking a cut out of a trade that's **** all to do with them?

listen chaps just a quick pep talk for fellow spreads.35 years in the trade and over the last few years ive allowed people who cant plaster dictate price etc etc to me.5 months off the trowel and last week did a p1ss easy job that if id been plastering fit i could of done in a day but it took me a day and a half.

my point is chaps it killed me its a hard job even the easy jobs are very demanding,who the fcuk are these non plasterers to even think they can dictate price.i know its other spreads who undercut but dont let being plastering fit and being skilled in a very very tough trade warp your mind.most people would cry if they did what we do in a day it would finish them.

price right for both you and the customer

Hear hear! well said!

As the gynaecologist said - it's good to keep yer hand in:RpS_thumbup:

Back in the comfy seat this week rock?

totally agree mate i have bad elbows now went to docs and said golfers elbow as on the outside of both arms... i cant go on the sick just have to cope with the bloody pain, looks like its corizone injections for me soon

have fun render they hurt apparently i havent had one yet just got valiums for my aches and creaks, but next stop is injections, was thinking bout saveing up for bionic arms instead be easier i reckon

have fun render they hurt apparently i havent had one yet just got valiums for my aches and creaks, but next stop is injections, was thinking bout saveing up for bionic arms instead be easier i reckon

:RpS_scared: Your doctor gave you valium for aches?

youd be lucky to get that on site more like 100 to 120 tops

I do know that 120 seems to be about the rate most people are getting, but spreads always seem to have overheads that on the books plumbers and sparks dont.

I think we are being mugged right off and its starting to **** me off

Last edited:
I do know that 120 seems to be about the rate most people are getting, but spreads always seem to have overheads that on the books plumbers and sparks dont.

I think we are being mugged right off and its starting to **** me off
we been getting mugged off for years

haha no danny i went to hospital cos i couldnt move my arm higher than..........well my waist really they did a scan and said my shoulder and elbow have worn the cartilidge away, but diddnt want to give me injection as im only young and theres a set amount of injections you can have, so they tried the valiums first, only a low doasage mind but its doin the trick at the mo, plays up every now and then but just deal with it.
anyway this bionic arm dealy...how much do you think this would cost guys?? think of the meterage you could do

only 300 i reckon set on fastest setting for a week and easily clear 600 a day, only problem is youd need a bionic labourer aswell to keep up, id imagin youd get investigated if you have 5 labs die in a week

To many chancers getting into this game , one min they are mixing up and doing the lab work the next thing they have a van and are king of the re skimmers working for beer and fag money doing rough as **** jobs for mrs miggins down the road and we all get tared with the same brush . if your a tradesman and do a good job you want a tradesmans money . this situation doesnt seem to occur for the sparks and plumbers but there again we may be our own worst enemies letting labs pic up the tools in the first place. would be nice to go back to the old days when plasterers were shown some respect for doing a very hard and skilled job. Rant over.

More like the Black adders than the Baldricks as a days work of plastering whether its floating ,skimming or any other method it all takes a bit of a cunning plan to make sure all goes well . the times i have had to explain to people that our trade is quite unlike all the others as we can not just stop and start when the mood takes plastering is all about preparation so when stuff is on the spot or in the bucket mixed and ready to go you have two choices use it or lose it and no one likes waste. a chippie can put down his bit of wood go for his bait and when he comes back its still the same bit of wood like wise bricks etc.As the old saying goes we have to work to the thistle not the whistle . My point being is we spreads should be shown a bit of courtesy and that we are not all plebs and what we do is a skilled job that alot of people would like to be able to do and for some of us older hands are spurs were hard earned so next time some one gives it the old i know some one who will do it cheaper line tell them to carry on but also remind them that cheep is cheep for a reason .A fair days money for a fair days work. second rant over.

I think there is 2 types of plasterers

1. A proper plasterer
2. A s**t plasterer

You know which one you are and a proper plaster can tell a s**t plasterer by looking in their eyes when talking to them

When I entered the trade,some years ago now. A plasterer was seen as some one who had a broad and diverse set of skills and knowlegde to hand. He had to be converse in not only internal plastering ,but all types of exterior works,flooring works,both granolithic and screed. Be able to fix and run cornice,both internally and externally.This plasterer earned the respect and commanded a good wage because of his good skill base.

However , in todays industry,these skills have become fragmented, and as such the skills base has deminished.A good example of coarse being skimmers rented out as so called plasterers,in my mind an insult to a true plasterer.Drylining is king as it is cheap and thats what the industry demands.

However , there is light at the end of the tunnel,a man can be a very good plasterer, but still struggle to find work. In this respect his business skills are letting him down, not his plastering skills.The smallest details count. A good example of this is presenting yourself in a proffesional manner to your prospective client right from the start. I have been told by customers that I got the job " bacause I took my boots of at the door before entering" , this is the smallest detail,but can mean so much and reward you with the job, even when being the dearest quote.

My point is, we have been flat out for the last 3 years and not even dropped our rates ( apart from some commercial clients), it essentialy comes down to being mindful of every detail, not only in your work,but in how you present yourself as a businessman/business.In essence your business model is fundamental to the success of you as a plasterer or plastering business.A good plastering job is only part of the whole picture in gaining and keeping clients.

Some of you perhaps younger lads,need to broaden your skill base, consider you business accumen ( how you present and sell yourself) , and look at the niche parts of our industry where plenty of work still exists.

When I entered the trade,some years ago now. A plasterer was seen as some one who had a broad and diverse set of skills and knowlegde to hand. He had to be converse in not only internal plastering ,but all types of exterior works,flooring works,both granolithic and screed. Be able to fix and run cornice,both internally and externally.This plasterer earned the respect and commanded a good wage because of his good skill base.

However , in todays industry,these skills have become fragmented, and as such the skills base has deminished.A good example of coarse being skimmers rented out as so called plasterers,in my mind an insult to a true plasterer.Drylining is king as it is cheap and thats what the industry demands.

However , there is light at the end of the tunnel,a man can be a very good plasterer, but still struggle to find work. In this respect his business skills are letting him down, not his plastering skills.The smallest details count. A good example of this is presenting yourself in a proffesional manner to your prospective client right from the start. I have been told by customers that I got the job " bacause I took my boots of at the door before entering" , this is the smallest detail,but can mean so much and reward you with the job, even when being the dearest quote.

My point is, we have been flat out for the last 3 years and not even dropped our rates ( apart from some commercial clients), it essentialy comes down to being mindful of every detail, not only in your work,but in how you present yourself as a businessman/business.In essence your business model is fundamental to the success of you as a plasterer or plastering business.A good plastering job is only part of the whole picture in gaining and keeping clients.

Some of you perhaps younger lads,need to broaden your skill base, consider you business accumen ( how you present and sell yourself) , and look at the niche parts of our industry where plenty of work still exists.

Great post...

And being a young lad, some great points to take on board..

I always take my boots off and things like that, but i know what your getting at

Status
Not open for further replies.