joist

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
why dont you just take the high spots off and skim it, otherwise start at the edges and guess in 60's, unless its lime and lathe in which case youre better off pulling it down and re boarding on to new sticks

dean-peter said:
what is a easy way to find joist,got a board a artex ceiling.

Hammer! you can faff about but a small hammer soon finds them, it look a mess but you are boarding over it any way.

I usually remove furniture, carpets and floorboards from the floor above appropriate ceiling.
Couple of small pilot holes drilled from above, replace carpets and furnishing.
No mess.
Job done.

If you tap it, it sounds different on the joists. Then measure 300, 400 or 600mm, depending on the age of the property.

Is that your idea of job cultivation, Galway?

galway said:
I usually remove furniture, carpets and floorboards from the floor above appropriate ceiling.
No mess.
Job done.

and what time do you get home? its a messy job

As above tap hammer along ceiling edge it'll sound hollow then when you tap a joist it'll sound like a dull thud.
Then with your hammer smack a hole either side of the joists then carry on across ceiling like this & after the 1st couple you will have a measurement how far apart they are.
Do this both ends of the room mark centre of joist on the wall,
then ping chalk lines from your marks. (if on your own hammer a screw into the ceiling at centre point of joist, put the end of your chalk line over the screw then walk to other side of room onto your hop up or scaffold & ping it.)
Then you have the centres of every joist marked out on the ceiling for you ;)

galway said:
No mess.
Job done.

no mess, apart from the fact your completely clearing a room out. this has got to be a joke? it takes 10 minutes to find them with a screwdriver and a hammer, you only have to guess one side, then just transfer measurements over to the other side.

Twatt it with a hammer near the corner to locate the 1st and do the same every 300 or 400mm. Dosn't matter about the holes as your gonna overboard anyway. Don't forget to mark the joist location on the wall aswell to make screwing easier!!

cheers guys some people have advised me to use foil backed board for the bathroom but dont think i will normal board will do me. what do you think of that.

It's for a vapour barrier to stop moisture entering the loft space which could cause damp problems.
But if your overboarding normal boards should be fine ;D

steve cov said:
galway said:
No mess.
Job done.

no mess, apart from the fact your completely clearing a room out. this has got to be a joke? it takes 10 minutes to find them with a screwdriver and a hammer, you only have to guess one side, then just transfer measurements over to the other side.

Joking apart Steve, I would still locate both sides of ceiling. You can't assume one side is equal to the other. Although it should be, this isn't always the case.
Apart from that, your spot on.

galway said:
steve cov said:
galway said:
No mess.
Job done.

Joking apart Steve, I would still locate both sides of ceiling. You can't assume one side is equal to the other. Although it should be, this isn't always the case.
Apart from that, your spot on.

no i still do it both sides. what i meant is you havent got to hammer the s**t out of both sides. do it one side, then just transfer measurements over. and check it still.

Status
Not open for further replies.