Is this lime plaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some plaster has blown and I'm wondering if it's lime based? I've licked it to test but couldn't taste any limes ;). There are clumps of hair dotted throughout it if that's any indication.

Also If it is lime am I okay to use thistle bonding instead?

And I've chipped off all the blown plaster, am I okay to just PVA what's there or should i strip the whole wall back to brick?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG

Seen as this isn't getting any replies, perhaps it's difficult to tell from the pictures. Does anyone know how to spot lime plaster?

well i have not licked it, but i can see that it has been floated in a lime mortar with animal hair.
i would dry line the reveals, fit eml to timber and float the required area in thistle hardwall plaster. skim in multi finish. not bonding.

well i have not licked it, but i can see that it has been floated in a lime mortar with animal hair.
i would dry line the reveals, fit eml to timber and float the required area in thistle hardwall plaster. skim in multi finish. not bonding.

Thanks for your reply!

How can you tell that it is lime mortar and why do you recommend hardwall rather than bonding?

i can see little white spots in the basecoat, this is lime with animal hair added to the mix. thistle bonding is for low suction back ground, ie concrete. you have brickwork, high suction therefore thistle hardwall for you base coat.
i would advise you to employ a plasterer, he will have the knowledge and the tools to complete this job.

i can see little white spots in the basecoat, this is lime with animal hair added to the mix. thistle bonding is for low suction back ground, ie concrete. you have brickwork, high suction therefore thistle hardwall for you base coat.
i would advise you to employ a plasterer, he will have the knowledge and the tools to complete this job.

I am a plasterer :( albeit one with only limited experience, only worked with board and multi.

Might I be best just using lime plaster then?

The house is double skinned, exterior being engineered brick, which I assume would negate any benefit to using lime, as the brick itself can't breath? So actually, would there even be any point to using lime?

I am a plasterer :( albeit one with only limited experience, only worked with board and multi.

The house is double skinned, exterior being engineered brick, which I assume would negate any benefit to using lime, as the brick itself can't breath? So actually, would there even be any point to using lime?

I would do as malc said :D

Hardwall will do the trick :D

the only time we use lime is when we work on a listed building. it is to slow and 2 expensive for most other customers. hardwall is a premixed basecoat.
i doubt if your property is built with engineering bricks, perhaps a stock brick.

the only time we use lime is when we work on a listed building. it is to slow and 2 expensive for most other customers. hardwall is a premixed basecoat.
i doubt if your property is built with engineering bricks, perhaps a stock brick.

It's Accrington which is engineered right?

I've read so much about lime plaster letting brick breath but for a cavity construction, is it even beneficial?

i have no idea about accrington bricks, engineering bricks are very expensive and you would not consider building a house with them.

as regards lime you pay the money you make the choice.

i have no idea about accrington bricks, engineering bricks are very expensive and you would not consider building a house with them.

as regards lime you pay the money you make the choice.

I understand it's my choice, I'm just asking if in your opinion there is any benefit to using lime on a cavity construction, with the exterior being Accrington (which I think is classed as engineered) and the interior being a stock brick as you said?

I understand it's my choice, I'm just asking if in your opinion there is any benefit to using lime on a cavity construction, with the exterior being Accrington (which I think is classed as engineered) and the interior being a stock brick as you said?

for your job just use hardwall.

No not that I know off.
Cavity should stop any moisture passing from outside skin.
Hardwall has a higher resistance to efflorescence hence better suited than bonding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd add to the discussion, I spoke to British Gypsum and they advised NOT to use hardwall as they said it would react with the existing lime plaster. They recommended I use lime.

If you get the lime off the brick and give it a brush down it will be fine. We do it everyday in real world situations they give answers behind a desk and are scared of the unknown or not so simple.
Your choice though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the best way to stick a window board to that stone lintel?

I thought about plasterboard adhesive and have tried no more nails but it just came straight off. I'd rather not screw as I'm worried about the stone cracking

Does anyone know the best way to stick a window board to that stone lintel?

I thought about plasterboard adhesive and have tried no more nails but it just came straight off. I'd rather not screw as I'm worried about the stone cracking
Try some low expansion foam, like soudal or similar you can get handheld or gungrade

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ta pal!

Do you reckon I should pva the stone just to be safe?
Yeah sure go for it, or you can drill the stone with an SDS bit with no hammer action on nice and slow, clean the hole fill with chemical resin drop an anchor in jobs done, so you'd have proper mechanical fix.

Yeah sure go for it, or you can drill the stone with an SDS bit with no hammer action on nice and slow, clean the hole fill with chemical resin drop an anchor in jobs done, so you'd have proper mechanical fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.