Is this key good enough on S&C

If it works for you . i have never had any issues with rubbing up with a devil float and a well rubbed up wall is a thing of beauty . imo.

What do you guys float over? Nearly all extensions are on lightweight blocks inside.... at least in my world. Absolutely no chance of straightening, floating and brushing before it pulls in. That's with dampening the f**k**s down.

What are you floating with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&c shouldn't go near thermal block imo (nowadays at least)
And if so, it would have to be weak as water, 7:1 or so

What do you put on them now? Thankfully I haven't seen them on a job in a couple years or more, but they were an absolute b*****d.

Simple science. Dampen down enough slow the sucky sucky and it's fine...... if you don't dampen, then best cross your fingers that it dont turn to dust..... tbh I have never floated more then 1 or 2 walls on a job using gypsum (hardwall etc)

Probably s**t myself if I had a room to do with that stuff lol

It takes more time and effort this way beader. Dumbing down the trade.....WTF come on with me for a few days. You do it your way and I'll do it mine,we'll see which is the straighter wall with the better key. It's not just brushed to skimp on floating
How does it take more effort and time to run over a wall with a brush and provide a s**t key? The word mechanical key is used for a reason and looking at your brush technique it's not giving much of a mechanical key compared to using a float with nails in. If it works for you carry on but your way in my opinion is the lazy builders way and just to add, using the float also takes off any high bits that a brush will miss or just brush over. Also if you turned up and did that on one of my jobs you would be down the road xx

Simple science. Dampen down enough slow the sucky sucky and it's fine...... if you don't dampen, then best cross your fingers that it dont turn to dust..... tbh I have never floated more then 1 or 2 walls on a job using gypsum (hardwall etc)

Probably s**t myself if I had a room to do with that stuff lol

As you suggest, the suction problems make it slow going, far quicker with hardwall etc where you can lash a good bit on before ruling off.

Does the hard coat not suck in like f**k too? Only ever used s and c on it though scudded or rend-aided them first to help kill suction a bit, rend and worked better than scud.

Hey rigsby,I done my time in Ireland and worked with what I consider to be some of the best spreads I know ,all over north and south and not once did I see the brush method being used always was the devil float buddy.

Jesus Christ flynnyman READ my posts correctly. I RULE AND FLOAT MY WALLS PLUMB IE.STRAIGHT/LEVEL ETC. Then pull the brush on them. Don't get a nose bleed now thinking too hard about this 1 but it takes more time and effort because you ie "flynnyman float and mechanical key at the same time where as I float up first and then go back and apply a mechanical key. Your having an opinion about something that you have not tried. A sign of a narrow minded person......so "they say" night night,talk tomorrow

just hose walls down ....done plenty of huge playboy houses in s&c this way.

Only time I have seen a stiff brush used to create a key is in Ireland. Quite common over ther I have been told.

I've never seen it done here. Ever!

We use a brush for footpaths but its thicker than what looks to be used here.

IMG_20170302_183703.jpg

just hose walls down ....done plenty of huge playboy houses in s&c this way.

So have I algeeman, first 7/8 years of serving my time was done this way, but nowadays there are quicker and better ways to do it so why bother??

Try it before ye knock it lads. I've tried both ways and the brush is a thousand times better. Ye're disagreeing with the method but still asking questions about it.....
The whole point of "rubbing up" sand cement is to consolidate the mortar together reducing cracks and filling in any hollows or slacks. The fact the nails or screws etc provide a key are a bonus. This is first year college stuff and tried and tested for years. The fact some rub either too wet or dry is the problem

Jesus Christ flynnyman READ my posts correctly. I RULE AND FLOAT MY WALLS PLUMB IE.STRAIGHT/LEVEL ETC. Then pull the brush on them. Don't get a nose bleed now thinking too hard about this 1 but it takes more time and effort because you ie "flynnyman float and mechanical key at the same time where as I float up first and then go back and apply a mechanical key. Your having an opinion about something that you have not tried. A sign of a narrow minded person......so "they say" night night,talk tomorrow
Your the one having a nose bleed, I'm not getting into an argument with a man who rubs up with a sweeping brush after using a float Coz it's to easy. Save all the bullshit about something I've not tried and I'm narrow minded Coz I'm not, why the f**k would I go over a wall I've just floated with a brush? You've said yourself it takes longer so how the f**k is it better? Enough experienced people have commented on your way and your nearly on your own, I said if it suits you carry on but let's not try and rewrite the physics on what a mechanical key is its basics.

Last edited:
Reactions: s61
Seen lots & lots over here hail.

Come to think of it, I'm near sure I've seen it in Sligo a good few years ago though thats about it.

seen that done on footpaths before

I usually use the float over the footpaths, unless they are more than 1.2m long, then I have to use the bullfloat with a brush attached to it if the footpaths are wider. This was 2m wide! Tbh, this wasn't one of my greatest jobs. I set the timber out few days before, lined it from top to bottom and in the mean time, tge client walked all over my prep work and knocked all my timber. To make matters worse, i broke my two toes the night or two before :(

It takes longer because I'm willing to put the extra effort in to provide a better key for the client. Iv told you and all your "buddies" that iv tried both ways and for me the brush provides a better key. Your on about most of the experienced people have agreed with you bla bla bla but seriously I don't understand why ye think the surface would be too rough,wavey or humpy...as I said in a previous post it's about proper timing. If it provides a brutal surface/key which takes an extra effort to do you'd wonder why I dont just do it the faster easier better way as you say.....? I do it with the brush because it's BETTER. Try it once,just once, go on,for the hell of it. You say I'm nearly on my own with this method but does that mean there is only 1 way to skin a cat. Very narrow minded alright...very narrow minded tut tut. Anyone with pride in their work doesn't mind going the extra distance. Just give up with the argument and when you have tried it report back to me
G'luk

It takes longer because I'm willing to put the extra effort in to provide a better key for the client. Iv told you and all your "buddies" that iv tried both ways and for me the brush provides a better key. Your on about most of the experienced people have agreed with you bla bla bla but seriously I don't understand why ye think the surface would be too rough,wavey or humpy...as I said in a previous post it's about proper timing. If it provides a brutal surface/key which takes an extra effort to do you'd wonder why I dont just do it the faster easier better way as you say.....? I do it with the brush because it's BETTER. Try it once,just once, go on,for the hell of it. You say I'm nearly on my own with this method but does that mean there is only 1 way to skin a cat. Very narrow minded alright...very narrow minded tut tut. Anyone with pride in their work doesn't mind going the extra distance. Just give up with the argument and when you have tried it report back to me
G'luk

after plastering i like to sweep my floors with a brush.
then to put in extra work i like to run a float around the floors after there spotless.
it takes more time and its pointless but....
i just like cleaning my floors up with a float.

if you like my strange method i'l like yours.
:inocente:

That is becoming a chapter of Harry Potter and I will get on my brooms too, since we are all honest with each other. You all can tank me later when you win the games!

Scratch coat with the fireblade
IMG_0857.JPG

And gently before the sponge, just to take off all high spots and opened nicely for sponging ,with the pan european

8E29DE8E-6F90-4DF5-B813-F0B724415D76-7989-0000092C9C5FF4DA_tmp.jpg

Happy flying :bananahappy:

210A7475-6830-4C8E-9A3E-655DEC7E9DC1-7989-0000095AA77B3539_tmp.jpg

Last edited:
My method serves a purpose,yours is just plain lunacy,rubbing your float on a dry conc floor [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] nut house for you pal

That is becoming a chapter of Harry Potter and I will get on my brooms too, since we are all honest with each other. You all can tank me later when you win the games!

Scratch coat with the fireblade
View attachment 16788

And gently before the sponge, just to take off all high spots and opened nicely for sponging ,with the pan european

View attachment 16789

Happy flying :bananahappy:

View attachment 16790
These I find are good to Go over just after I rub over with the float.
image.jpeg

My method serves a purpose,yours is just plain lunacy,rubbing your float on a dry conc floor [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] nut house for you pal

do you keep 2 seperate brushes .......1 for sweeping your floors and 1 for sweeping your walls ??

have you copyrighted this idea ??

do you actually believe your own shite ??

if you have ticked yes too all 3 then maybe i do need help.....to understand im sharing my planet with aliens.