Is the modern rendering sustems easier or harder than the old ways? But

Status
Not open for further replies.
People get to comfortable now a days.
They take it for granted and always think the grass is greener.
I pay my lads day rate and then bonus for doing a good day/finishing job earlier than planned.
It's swings and roundabouts.
Look after them they should look after you.
Obviously I don't know what you pay him so depends on situation.
I'd also allow a little more than what you have to do the work mentioned but I'm not the quickest of spreads admittedly.
Doesn't sound like you over expect from him but he sounds like he's set in his ways and you've done the right thing.
He prob forgets he doesn't have to do anything apart from the work so he shouldn't be earning mass amounts as your the one who puts the graft in to get the jobs source materials, paperwork etc.
I do find if you have someone and they are on a day rate all the time they end up set in there ways and think I'll only do this much as I'm only earning x amount, which is way I offer them a bonus/extra here and there.

The bonus is always there for getting done on time but he screws that up. Money just does not motivate him. As said the more he earns the more he smokes and drinks. Plus the more he gets this week the less days he has to work next week. Got an ex apprentice offering a couple of days next week but he has never sprayed and I doubt he can rule as he went onto ewi after me.

Ah well, life goes on.

Some people you just can't help then.
He's a prime example of having it made for him and not seeing how easy he got it!
Best thing you done was chuck him by the sounds of it.
To many people take the p!$$ now a days.

To the op Id think s&c is easyer than mono,have used acrilic and that's somewhere in between but a bit of faffing,with machine my thoughts may change.
As regards to your spread rigsby I think he's taking liberties and doesn't realise lucky he is and taking his job for granted,I mean most/all Monday's and some other days?i had a day off this week as I broke a back tooth to the nerve and had to get it fixed as I stuggled to sleep the night prior due to the pain,the job was for a builder that I am doing on m2 price so doesn't affect him financially if I'm there or not but I felt bad and have worked late the last couple of days to make up for the lost day.
If I employed anyone that didn't have similar work ethic to me they wouldn't last long,you yourself seem to have a good work ethic and need someone similar alongside you.

He could not be left on his own, he is a bodgit and scarper merchant but he knew with me I never let anything go it had to be right. He was a hard worker but needs a suprvisor. We would often finish a job a stand back and pat ourselves on the back. But yes, he had got himself into a comfort zone.

I have sacked him before, twice. 6 months and 18 months absence. He was the same elsewhere and was forever getting the boot. So why put up with so much for so long? Because his replacements have been useless. Maybe more reliable but come without the experience and dont pick up what they lack but still want experienced money. So I came to the conclusion, better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't know. But he wont give what I want (a decent tool kit and a 5 day week) he can't but was demanding more and more of what he wants. He puts up a good fight but I have stopped caring. If I can't get a replacement then time for early retirement and go back on the cabs. Don't know who's worse, him or winging passengers? Pensioners did my head in, worse than drunks. Somalians at Netto with 3 trolleys full of shopping and more kids than I have seat belts for. Think I would have to do the night shift. Did Gibbo ever get his badge?

He could not be left on his own, he is a bodgit and scarper merchant but he knew with me I never let anything go it had to be right. He was a hard worker but needs a suprvisor. We would often finish a job a stand back and pat ourselves on the back. But yes, he had got himself into a comfort zone.

I have sacked him before, twice. 6 months and 18 months absence. He was the same elsewhere and was forever getting the boot. So why put up with so much for so long? Because his replacements have been useless. Maybe more reliable but come without the experience and dont pick up what they lack but still want experienced money. So I came to the conclusion, better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't know. But he wont give what I want (a decent tool kit and a 5 day week) he can't but was demanding more and more of what he wants. He puts up a good fight but I have stopped caring. If I can't get a replacement then time for early retirement and go back on the cabs. Don't know who's worse, him or winging passengers? Pensioners did my head in, worse than drunks. Somalians at Netto with 3 trolleys full of shopping and more kids than I have seat belts for. Think I would have to do the night shift. Did Gibbo ever get his badge?

Could you not get a decent spread for a couple of days a week? Pay him decent and pull him in when you need him on the bigger areas?
Would that not suffice?

Hard in July every ones busy. My son wants a plasterer for two days skimming but no one is interested, all to busy.

Where are these East europeans when you need them?

Might be a bad time just at the minute, but the winter could be a good time to start a relationship. All hands to the pump for now I guess, but your better off without the other dick whatever maybe

rigsby I think I've got your mans twin brother working for me pal I was laughing reading your post because it could be the same lad, god knows why I keep having him back, he comes in handy to spray the gear on but iv'e been trying to teach him to rub up for over a year and I might as well be trying to teach him to speak Chinese, I've just had him on a job, gave him two small areas to rub up and he f**k*d them both up leaving me looking a right t**t with the customer, far from being apologetic the cheeky shite asked me for more money because I've just bought a new machine and he's "a machine renderer now" i'm still trying to figure out how me buying a machine which makes his job easier automatically entitles him to more money despite the fact I'm still limited to spraying what I can rub up myself because he's useless once the gear is on the wall...

And he's got drink problems too, never has any money, always asks for a sub for his dinner everyday etc etc

just born gobshites they are pal

Oh iv'e had that! He and only he handles the machine. That entitles him to more money.

Last year he knocked so I decided to set up and spray myself with the lab. Had to look it up on youtube, never done it before but I got there. Well I did until the lab let it run out of powder. Only 2m2 from the end though.

He could rub up though and scrape back I always I sectioned.

Such is life.

may seem an odd question butnot so long ago when most work was sand and cement mixed in a Belle mixer and applied by hand most plasterers avoided rendering. Now you see plasterers doing rendering all over the place but the pre mixed pre bagged stuff like Weber for example.

Maybe it is the hand batching and mixing in a Belle mixer was to hard and then carrying it up a ladder in a bucket. Now I see gorrilla tubs dotted all over and whisks buzzing away. But you still habe to carry the bags and water up the scaffold?

Anyway, getting back on course. My other spread of 14 years is getting more and more annoyed at work than ever before. He has always been unreliable at best managing 4 days a week but now struggling to manage 3. No reasons, never turns up on Mondays and hasn't for the ladt 3 years. Never gives a reason. But now he is losing his temper even more and demanding more and more money. But he does not work smart, too hard.

We have just scratched on a semi 3 sides with two small extension, nice block work. I allowed us two and a labourer 3 days and did it in two and a half. Fully beaded and microgobbed and he reckons I am a slave driver? So expecting 2 spreads and a lab to microgob a front of a semi, bead up, apply a pre rend fully meshed is asking too much? He wanted a day for us to micro gob (lab did the house in 4 hours) and fully bead up (45 beads) then a day a side for the 3 of us to apply a scratch coat? AmI missing something here? I used to do a side a day just me and a lab in sand and cement with beads but no mesh but now this modern method seems to him to be harder and takes a lot longer than the old ways.

On machine days he only sprays. He loses his temper and finds it all a struggle. But mug here apparantly has it easy. I only rule, mesh, rule gain, spat and turn back to do the slumps under the sills and soffits. His spraying is crap but he thinks he is good. I have now took on an apprentice to help me on his days off and to help him spray. Now he wants more money so I have given him the sack and he can get in the real world. No day work like me, he can his own way to the job and back and it will be interesting to see if he buys any tools. He has a shopping bag and the last tool he bought was a hand board 2 years ago. No stanley knife, tape measure, margin trowels, spirit level.

Don't get me wrong he works well when he can turn up although he cannot rule off that good but there again who can? The only ones I know who can use a straight edge are plasterers who can Hardwall. Renderers seem to freehand with the attitude 'if it looks flat, then it's flat enough'.

So for those of us that did it the old way and now the new way, which is the hardest mentaly and physically?

Me? The modern way involves lots of faffing about, beading, meshing but the material is easier. Spraying is obviously faster but on day work that is irelevant and easier on the joints but you do have to go like the clappers. But so what? A 4 hour wall is done in two with a good rest in between application amd finishing. But his gripe is the 2 hours spraying non stop, he has forgot about the 4 hours slapping on by hand. But according to him this new mordern way of rendering demands more money than the old ways. He wants to go back dashing.

Ps, anyone know to to edit the heading?
You are better off without that lad.Sounds to me like a drink or drug problem.You would think that after the last few years of recession that lads would be grateful for steady work.I see the same carry on here.Just move on and in time you'll be glad he's gone.

Hey up John, if your micro or any wet primers the compressor is there and the gun mate, been sat in garage all week, you'd have got full house primed in about 45 mins, there whenever you want it buddy.

As for your employee, I think it's a clash of attitudes in a stressful environment, you are very old school and very good at your job, he just wants to get the job done and get gone, but saying that he didn't look to shabby when I worked with you, but obviously he hasn't got the effort or energy to put himself out there to make it on his own.

If he wants more money, why not try offering him an extra £20/£30 every week if he puts a full week in, then if he complains about not being paid enough he can't moan as it was on the table if he did the 5 days.

Mine is going at the end of the rendering season, he is fooking wank, I have to follow him around doing his job as he just doesn't seem interested, lots of s**t out there at the minute mate, most more interested in getting home and latching onto mummies breast

Hey up John, if your micro or any wet primers the compressor is there and the gun mate, been sat in garage all week, you'd have got full house primed in about 45 mins, there whenever you want it buddy.

As for your employee, I think it's a clash of attitudes in a stressful environment, you are very old school and very good at your job, he just wants to get the job done and get gone, but saying that he didn't look to shabby when I worked with you, but obviously he hasn't got the effort or energy to put himself out there to make it on his own.

If he wants more money, why not try offering him an extra £20/£30 every week if he puts a full week in, then if he complains about not being paid enough he can't moan as it was on the table if he did the 5 days.

Mine is going at the end of the rendering season, he is fooking wank, I have to follow him around doing his job as he just doesn't seem interested, lots of s**t out there at the minute mate, most more interested in getting home and latching onto mummies breast

Tried all that Mac. Bonus if the job is done on time even a bonus like you suggest if he can manage 5 days. That is very unlikely, think it was 4 years ago he managed to get 5 days in but thats a waste of bonus. If he did 5 this week you will be lucky to see him 2 days next week. He has a knock on effect on the others. They put the effort in for a bonus and he makes them fail so now I give the lab a stealth bonus. He can sometimes do the work of 2 when hacking off. He earns his money and gets rewarded.

Oh dear rigsby , a spread that only sprays ! My lab could do that , I do it because it's the easiest of the process , my machine so I chose [emoji1] my lab rules off and he's only a second year apprentice [emoji106]

Tried all that Mac. Bonus if the job is done on time even a bonus like you suggest if he can manage 5 days. That is very unlikely, think it was 4 years ago he managed to get 5 days in but thats a waste of bonus. If he did 5 this week you will be lucky to see him 2 days next week. He has a knock on effect on the others. They put the effort in for a bonus and he makes them fail so now I give the lab a stealth bonus. He can sometimes do the work of 2 when hacking off. He earns his money and gets rewarded.
I know lads like that. U CAN'T FIX STUPID

may seem an odd question butnot so long ago when most work was sand and cement mixed in a Belle mixer and applied by hand most plasterers avoided rendering. Now you see plasterers doing rendering all over the place but the pre mixed pre bagged stuff like Weber for example.

Maybe it is the hand batching and mixing in a Belle mixer was to hard and then carrying it up a ladder in a bucket. Now I see gorrilla tubs dotted all over and whisks buzzing away. But you still habe to carry the bags and water up the scaffold?

Anyway, getting back on course. My other spread of 14 years is getting more and more annoyed at work than ever before. He has always been unreliable at best managing 4 days a week but now struggling to manage 3. No reasons, never turns up on Mondays and hasn't for the ladt 3 years. Never gives a reason. But now he is losing his temper even more and demanding more and more money. But he does not work smart, too hard.

We have just scratched on a semi 3 sides with two small extension, nice block work. I allowed us two and a labourer 3 days and did it in two and a half. Fully beaded and microgobbed and he reckons I am a slave driver? So expecting 2 spreads and a lab to microgob a front of a semi, bead up, apply a pre rend fully meshed is asking too much? He wanted a day for us to micro gob (lab did the house in 4 hours) and fully bead up (45 beads) then a day a side for the 3 of us to apply a scratch coat? AmI missing something here? I used to do a side a day just me and a lab in sand and cement with beads but no mesh but now this modern method seems to him to be harder and takes a lot longer than the old ways.

On machine days he only sprays. He loses his temper and finds it all a struggle. But mug here apparantly has it easy. I only rule, mesh, rule gain, spat and turn back to do the slumps under the sills and soffits. His spraying is crap but he thinks he is good. I have now took on an apprentice to help me on his days off and to help him spray. Now he wants more money so I have given him the sack and he can get in the real world. No day work like me, he can his own way to the job and back and it will be interesting to see if he buys any tools. He has a shopping bag and the last tool he bought was a hand board 2 years ago. No stanley knife, tape measure, margin trowels, spirit level.

Don't get me wrong he works well when he can turn up although he cannot rule off that good but there again who can? The only ones I know who can use a straight edge are plasterers who can Hardwall. Renderers seem to freehand with the attitude 'if it looks flat, then it's flat enough'.

So for those of us that did it the old way and now the new way, which is the hardest mentaly and physically?

Me? The modern way involves lots of faffing about, beading, meshing but the material is easier. Spraying is obviously faster but on day work that is irelevant and easier on the joints but you do have to go like the clappers. But so what? A 4 hour wall is done in two with a good rest in between application amd finishing. But his gripe is the 2 hours spraying non stop, he has forgot about the 4 hours slapping on by hand. But according to him this new mordern way of rendering demands more money than the old ways. He wants to go back dashing.

Ps, anyone know to to edit the heading?

I USED TO WORK WITH A PLASTERER LIKE THAT,NEVER DID A FULL WEEK,I SAID TO HIM WHY DO YOU WORK FOUR DAYS A WEEK,HE SAID I'LL TELL YOU WHY BECAUSE I COULDNT SURVIVE ON THREE DAYS A WEEK!

I have never used the modern materials as I got out of it before it started becoming popular but one reason I think people did not like using sand and cement was because of the risks...

With modern render systems you get the whole system and the chances of cracking is reduced and generally it is a pretty reliable system.

Not saying sand and cement isn't but a lot more issues can happen and also simply getting a consistent mix can be a challenge.

As for the chap working for you he needs binning... nothing worse than the wonder if you are going to have him on site....

Status
Not open for further replies.