Is my house held together with string and fag ash?

Members online

leeewo

Hi all. Just going to get it out of the way; I'm not a plasterer. As you probably know, this whole covid nonsense has gotten us DIYers a little bit too excited and I'm no exception. I've been poking about at some cracks in (what I thought was) my plaster and have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer.

To my surprise, when I removed a big chunk from the corner of a wall (see pic), what I saw underneath was a load of crumbly grey crap with some twine woven into it. I'm assuming that the grey crap is some kind of bonding? And the twine is supposed to be scrim?

Funnily enough when I Google 'grey crumbly plaster' or 'twine scrim', bugger all comes up. So my questions are as follows:

- What the hell is my house made of? If it means anything, the house was built in 1979 and is in the central belt of Scotland.
- Will this material make filling and skimming any more difficult?

Thanks in advance everyone.
16032754903652377012685607772831.jpg

i wouldn't worry,plaster was always grey in the 80s either carlite or syraphite and the scrim was a roll of hessian so all normal things to see on a house of that age.just fill it back in with sand and cement or bonding.

Hi all. Just going to get it out of the way; I'm not a plasterer. As you probably know, this whole covid nonsense has gotten us DIYers a little bit too excited and I'm no exception. I've been poking about at some cracks in (what I thought was) my plaster and have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer.

To my surprise, when I removed a big chunk from the corner of a wall (see pic), what I saw underneath was a load of crumbly grey crap with some twine woven into it. I'm assuming that the grey crap is some kind of bonding? And the twine is supposed to be scrim?

Funnily enough when I Google 'grey crumbly plaster' or 'twine scrim', bugger all comes up. So my questions are as follows:

- What the hell is my house made of? If it means anything, the house was built in 1979 and is in the central belt of Scotland.
- Will this material make filling and skimming any more difficult?

Thanks in advance everyone.
View attachment 54805
Just chuck some bonding in it you stupid boy!
Off too bed early with no dinner for you.