Is £50 for whole room re-skim cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairybear

Right, now I've got your attention!

A bit hoofed off and need some man love :)huh:) as I got blown away from a job I really wanted, now thinking if I can't make a living doing it proper, I'll go and sign on with the other tax dodging f**k**s..

Part of a ceiling in a 30's house falls on family whilst watching TV, having looked at it, due to the old school spread using stiff lime on smooth laths, was always gonna fail.

anyway, job was to rip down the whole ceiling ( 4x4 ), re-board, skim and cove ( including removal and disposal of waste in accordance with current regs)..

Costs

So, a day (ish) for me and the labby......

Materials, (PB, multi, scrim, screws, coving, adhesive)

Fuel, tipping charge

Tax, NI, Van/liability insurance, equipment costs, maintenance and upkeep......

£400 got me the, we really liked you, but we've had a cheaper quote.....can you match it....£195, wtf....I thought I'd put in a low price?

Cus I'm polite, I explained I don't price match...because it's my price.

How the **** can anyone be legally trading and offering these prices?

£195 -(Materials (£60), tipping charge (£40), tax and NI (~£25)). That's £70 for the job, not even considering ancillary costs such as van, fuel insurances etc etc..

I hope the frickin thing falls down in 2 weeks and knocks some sense into them..:RpS_cursing:

Are you sure he quoted for the same job? More like a small patch for £195.

If you were to rip down the whole ceiling, board and skim you would be looking at a grand.

kin hell ,your right hairybear, you did put in a cheapish price,, i would not want to do the job for any less than you quoted,,,, wtf is the plastering game coming to if people are prepared to do a job like this for under £200,,no wonder so many lads on here are talking about changing jobs

i dont know why you really wanted the job. theres easier work out there. your own price seems cheap mate. no disrespect. dont know if you included the coving in that price. i stopped adding it up after the boards. maybe they're working on the side, maybe the're chancers who dont give a toss, maybe they're just starting out and having priced it right. it doesn't matter, now. i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

it works both ways. i went to see a job the other day, mentioned it in another thread, where the customer had two quotes to do a bedroom. one was for two blokes one day at the other was two blokes two days. i looked at it saturday morning. it was a boxroom. new house. couldnt believe it. daft quotes from the others. customers sometimes dont know what a job will cost. plumbers they expect to be expensive. plasterers, most havent got a clue. if they get a ceap quote they'll take it.

Are you sure he quoted for the same job? More like a small patch for £195.

If you were to rip down the whole ceiling, board and skim you would be looking at a grand.

a small patch for £195? do you live in beverly fcuking hills? thought you didnt get out of bed for less than £250? my arse

£400 is imo a cheap quote so i really would not let it worry you. Lee is right £195 for just a reskim was about the norm and you can still get it.
I do wonder if this other guy has said £195+mats and the customer has taken it as all in. That still aint the right price for the job but i have had that before where the customer has wanted an on the spot quote and i could not be arsed to calculate mats in front of them.

I hate pulling down ceilings in domestics, forever doing sealing and protection and cleaning,horrible job. Needs to be profitable...

A horrible messy job, the blokes trying his luck with this other quote of £195.00. Your £400 is still way off the mark.

This type of job I would type up a outline of the work involved and bang in a high quote, with a side note recommending they forward it on to their insurance company.

If I won it crack on and earn a a bit of extra dosh for the ballache of it all. If not, no bother, plenty more work out there.

Sad thing is @Hairybear this kind of thing happens all the time :RpS_thumbdn: think all of us have suffered this at times but trust me there is a good feeling you get when they ring you back week or so later asking for you to go back as the cheap guy made a mess :RpS_lol: just say I'd love to but can't as my quote was too high? And now its just doubled!!! :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a rdidculous price hairybear. I don't find that custiomers will always chase the best price. A lot will know follow the peanuts and monkeys saying if you know what I mean. I have had customers throw back a cheaper price at me but will smile in a knowing way "really!" :RpS_wink: If I was buying a drill say I would not expect to get hitachi quality for the price of a Parkside. It is a messy job anyway mate. There would be a hundred years worth of slate dust etc all over the place. It gets into your skin that stuff. I was reading the thread about spots and this is how you can sometimes get them. If you PVA and it mixes in with old slate dust or coal dust it will seep through later:RpS_thumbup:

Cheers fellas, feeling the love! I know my price was cheap.....but need the work myself! Anyway, I'm sure anyone who can do that job for £200 ain't gonna be looking out for sheeting out, worrying about the finish. I'll bide my time on that one!!!!

cheers.

Cheeky barstewards! Ive just been to look at a four bed detached house soundbloc all downstairs ceilings dab n skim, 14 velux windows including the loft curved all to be done in 25mm celotex backed boards ,bay window fire line the garage dab an rsj keeping the shape so they can put a shelf on it ffs its 15 foot up! Then bloke ses i want it all done on a price for cash no daywork wants me to provide a breakdown of costs and mats and then proceeds to ask if the chippes etc cause any damage do i fix it for free!!! Wtf last straw was he had had two quotes but said are plasterers on footballers wages! Last time i saw drawing was when it accidently blew out van window into a field i hope a cow eats it tosser!!

Cheeky barstewards! Ive just been to look at a four bed detached house soundbloc all downstairs ceilings dab n skim, 14 velux windows including the loft curved all to be done in 25mm celotex backed boards ,bay window fire line the garage dab an rsj keeping the shape so they can put a shelf on it ffs its 15 foot up! Then bloke ses i want it all done on a price for cash no daywork wants me to provide a breakdown of costs and mats and then proceeds to ask if the chippes etc cause any damage do i fix it for free!!! Wtf last straw was he had had two quotes but said are plasterers on footballers wages! Last time i saw drawing was when it accidently blew out van window into a field i hope a cow eats it tosser!!

Sunday league footballers maybe

Right, now I've got your attention!

A bit hoofed off and need some man love :)huh:) as I got blown away from a job I really wanted, now thinking if I can't make a living doing it proper, I'll go and sign on with the other tax dodging f**k**s..

Part of a ceiling in a 30's house falls on family whilst watching TV, having looked at it, due to the old school spread using stiff lime on smooth laths, was always gonna fail.

anyway, job was to rip down the whole ceiling ( 4x4 ), re-board, skim and cove ( including removal and disposal of waste in accordance with current regs)..

Costs

So, a day (ish) for me and the labby......

Materials, (PB, multi, scrim, screws, coving, adhesive)

Fuel, tipping charge

Tax, NI, Van/liability insurance, equipment costs, maintenance and upkeep......

£400 got me the, we really liked you, but we've had a cheaper quote.....can you match it....£195, wtf....I thought I'd put in a low price?

Cus I'm polite, I explained I don't price match...because it's my price.

How the **** can anyone be legally trading and offering these prices?

£195 -(Materials (£60), tipping charge (£40), tax and NI (~£25)). That's £70 for the job, not even considering ancillary costs such as van, fuel insurances etc etc..

I hope the frickin thing falls down in 2 weeks and knocks some sense into them..:RpS_cursing:

What u av to think hairybear what's the differance of you charging 400 , if I quoted for the same spec job I'd be looking at 11/12 1300 quid ,so your under cutting me and many spreads like me,because as you said you need the work ,not aving a pop just playing devils advocate

What u av to think hairybear what's the differance of you charging 400 , if I quoted for the same spec job I'd be looking at 11/12 1300 quid ,so your under cutting me and many spreads like me,because as you said you need the work ,not aving a pop just playing devils advocate
Oh ,you're the devil..BULLY

Not to forget all tps protec u will need when pulling that down..!! And protecting room to start with..

Like others have said.. I would have thought u was cheap yourself IMO..

But what they quoted is a f*****g joke..

Boils my piss..!!!! Cos it happens all the time!!! No matter what job we all go to someone always has a stupid 'quote' that is cheaper by a massive margin..!!!

I went to a job at weekend to reskim a dining room.. Bit of making good around chimney etc.. Cos of new fire installed..

Gave them a price n they said..

'Oh... Well the stove guy said he can plaster the room for xxx amount'

Wtf.... A stove installer is now a ******** plasterer...

My reply... ' good luck with that'

Total waste of time going out looking at jobs..

done a lid last year insurance job supply fit new boards and cove i quoted 1150 two spreads done it in a day.no problem the gezzer paid me afist fall of 50s end of the day happydays:RpS_thumbsup:

Some news.....

young lady called earlier, her builder can't start till July.....can we meet half way on price and it's mine if I can do it this week! Unfortunately for her I've just ( today) got a 3 bed refurb to do....so noooooo, unless you want me to work at the weekend, which will attract a 50% uplift.. She's gone away to think about it!

oh, the picture gets deeper too, she said 'my builder' can't start till July, I asked if she meant plasterer but no, her builder who's rebuilding her two chimney stacks (who was there, poking at the chimney when I surveyed) is doing the ceiling.......:RpS_thumbsup: for £200.......!

anyway, as I said, I know I was cheap but needs must at the time, things looking up again for the next month or so now so pressure off for a while!

Fair play to you guys who could get c.£1k for a simular job, I'd only need 2 a month to live on!!!!!

almost glad I lost it now, what I'm learning is there are better jobs out there, don't fill your week up with small profit jobs.......no time for the big fish when they come along!

thanks for moral support fellas.

Love, H.

when ever a customer ask me to match an other plasterers quote, i answer that you have found a complete idiot there! could you give me his phone number i shall get him to come and do some for me !

Customer is blagging you mate. They're trying to get your price down. If they contact you again after trying to get you down to 200 then 300, tell them you have thought more about what's involved and the price should be double. (At least)

Status
Not open for further replies.