Introduction and another, is this lime or sand and cement mortar?

TheMassaB

Evening all, been informed by the forum that I must introduce myself before I can send any DMs so here goes.

About 18 months ago bought a 3 bed mid terrace in lancs area:

- Built around 1910, cavity walls (about 50mm) that have been filled with a wool type insulation.

Initial plan was to change a few carpets and do minimal work until I could inform the bank I wanted to rent the property out. My foresight was not to invest too much energy into the property as it was a rental only.

Anyway upon removing the original minging carpets I found the floorboards were rotted and so was the skirting boards in the corners of the living room due to damp coming through, and from there everything has snowballed.

Fast forward 18months the ceilings are down, the house has been rewired, re plumbed and im currently going through the plastering stages (minor bits myself) and sorting the damp issues. Pictures will follow.

ANyway for now I could do with your opinions on a topic regarding lime mortar and lime plaster. Ive been relentlessly browsing the internet using the searches on forums and deep into youtube teaching myself bits and bobs but ive come a little unstuck with a few decisions.

House was built around 1910, mid terrace and has blown plaster throughout the house, most of which dropped off when chasing in sockets and heating pipes, now what im unsure with is wether or not my mortar is lime or sand and cement with a touch of lime. I was convinced it was lime but I have cavity walls although it feels chalky and crumbly like lime and is a whiteish colour.

As you all know its important when selecting plastering methods.

Ive taken numerous samples from the brickwork upstairs and downstairs and used the vinegar trick (malt vinegar not white if that matters?) and theres seems to be some activity but not a great deal compared to videos online so I'm currently unsure where to go with it. Fingers crossed its S&C but again I need you opinions.

Plasterers forum I know but theres seems to be some knowledgable heads about on here

Heres photos if you could shine some light and a video to the reaction with vinegar.

Any feedback is appreciated.

PXL_20210828_092018387.jpg PXL_20230910_144858024.jpg PXL_20230910_144905304.jpg PXL_20230910_150057252.jpg

Not reading all that but going by pics you have house, good job taking back to brick and now it needs re plastering and you thought those bits looked like sugar mice so you shared pics?

On mobile that is a massive post TBF. Will trim down.

I'm asking if you think it's lime mortar?

Not reading all that but going by pics you have house, good job taking back to brick and now it needs re plastering and you thought those bits looked like sugar mice so you shared pics?

Houses from that era do not have cavities
I read this information online too, but have since had my arm inside the cavity after finding a couple of loose bricks.

It's also got a foundation DPC and another one one brick above it + a bitumen floor.

Aftermarket or not I'm unsure.