Insurance job

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtybill

Wee bit of advice required regarding insurance work, was called to a job today (burst watertank) and they require a quote for the ceilings in the hallway and the kitchen (totaling 30m2). Anyway my question is, in the kitchen the ceiling has like a stipple effect artexy finish on the ceiling and they want it skimmed over now will i have to bond that as it's quite prominent or will 2 coat multi right over it do or is there anything preperation wise i should consider?

Also as i have never done insurance quotes before is there any specifics i should adhere to in regards to pricing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

depends on the thickness of the stipple, id use a primer such as bond it or blue grit prior to a tight coat of bonding,or if the water has shagged the celing over board it if needs be.
as regards insurance jobs there a lottery, plonk another 20% on and be prepared to wait to get paid,aint done an insurance job in years so it might have changed a bt nowadays.

Sorry should have specified, the ceilings are being patched with new gyproc in the areas damaged think i will try the bond it then a coat of bonding just to be sure.

Thanks

i would board ceiling over ...

.don't under price it.....

make sure you find out who is paying .....insurance co direct to you or householder

if its the householder i would get payment on completion as normal

Both ceilings are coved so i dont boarding over is going to be do-able besides there is a joiner going to do the boarding work before hand

I would be quoting for removing coving, overboarding, skimming, re coving it, and decorating it afterwards. No need for a joiner to do the boarding. Insurance work is a good chance to actually make some decent money for change. Normally the insuarnce company agree to the price, pay the home owner straight away, even before the job is done. Afterall, it's only a small job to an insurance company.

They got the joiner in already of their own accord so it seems like this is what they are happy with so im easy either way.

Cheers for the replies troops, glad i found this forum:RpS_biggrin:

when ever insurance work is involved , you work to a proper spec, if the ceiling is water damaged then it all comes down, would you put up with a patched ceiling, what if the artex fails after you have skimmed etc, don't take chances replace the lot.
I did a small water damaged ceiling last week , 2x 8x4 and 4 lengths of coving and re emulsion the room £850 plus vat

Yeah i hear that however the damaged area in kitchen isnt even a metre2 and the whole ceiling is about 20m2 (kitchen/dining room) so she has been advised that the damaged are will be replaced and the ceiling skimmed over in its entireity. The upstairs hallway ceiling is all coming down though about 10m2.

Yeah i hear that however the damaged area in kitchen isnt even a metre2 and the whole ceiling is about 20m2 (kitchen/dining room) so she has been advised that the damaged are will be replaced and the ceiling skimmed over in its entireity. The upstairs hallway ceiling is all coming down though about 10m2.

Are the insurance company garuanteeing your work Bill? I doubt it, and neither will whoever 'advised' her. Cover yer own a*se mate, get it down or over-board the whole ceiling:RpS_thumbup:

Going to write that in my quotation as a clause that my recomendation is to take it down completely or overboard it, can i do that?

Scrap it back, glue it, skim it.Job done What's with all this bonding?Done insurance work for 5 years + Am I wrong?

Going to write that in my quotation as a clause that my recomendation is to take it down completely or overboard it, can i do that?

I usually write something along the lines of:

"As the water-damaged ceiling will be significantly weakened through saturation, I would recommend the removal of the whole ceiling and reboarding to prevent ceiling collapsing at a later date"
I promise you that NO assessor will go against you on that, just in case it dropped later on, thus making them look rather silly by not listening to your experienced advise:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.