Insulated board fixings.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

Banter on the other thread reminded me.

What's the best fixing method for insulated boards onto new Thermalite blocks? Not after the cheapest or quickest, just whatever makes the best job of it.

I'm guessing dab and plastic mushroom fixings? Just after the opinions and recommendations of the collective.

Should have fixing. If there's a fire the insulation melts and the boards fail.

If the wall is spot on you don't need d&d. We use them on the big ceilings-coridors and big spaces on ground floor . Predrill the holes for the metal fixing and mesh or tape, depends

Should have fixing. If there's a fire the insulation melts and the boards fail.

Do the plastic mushroom fixings not melt the same.

Screws and washers must be the best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the plastic mushroom fixings not melt the same.

Screws and washers must be the best bet.

Dunno about the plastic ones. I use these.

Attachments

• 1489178835961.jpg
    1489178835961.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 401
Hi imago,the best method for this is to dab and then fix with metal fixing,never had a problem mate!

Dunno about the plastic ones. I use these.

Never seen those, we always used the mushroom fixings....

What they called mate I got a wall to board with insulated board week after next wouldn't mind using these

You might get away with the plastic fixings on thermalite, not sure. But if there is any resistance ( hammering into breeze block for example) they vibrate and break the core of the board.
They really aren't fit for purpose.
Like olican, I tend not to bother with them.
If you want to do things but the book, I would advise the rawlplug fixings.

Na ,am with pug on this deffo metal fixing!!! With dab as a must on therms.

Rawlplugs are metal !!
It's a brand name, they don't just make the plastic plugs to hang a picture up ffs.

Banter on the other thread reminded me.

What's the best fixing method for insulated boards onto new Thermalite blocks? Not after the cheapest or quickest, just whatever makes the best job of it.

I'm guessing dab and plastic mushroom fixings? Just after the opinions and recommendations of the collective.
Nail able plugs which are bg ones only need 2 per board

The manufacturers usually suggest a 'frame type fixing', but imo are s**t. If you do use, use a drill size smaller if going into soft block, as they won't pull up tight!

Anyone in a house fire will be a long time dead via fumes etc before any boards fall off the wall.
Have you ever tried to burn those boards?
Overkill.

Thanks for the responses, as with anything opinions will be divided. :)

For the sake of the cost and time I'll get some fixings banged in. The rawl lug ones @BigK posted look decent.

The boards are going on to a straight run of 215mm blocks, so as long as they'll hold in the soft material all will be well. (y)

Anyone in a house fire will be a long time dead via fumes etc before any boards fall off the wall.
Have you ever tried to burn those boards?
Overkill.

Building regs requires mechanical fixing for insulated boards in my area.

Building regs requires mechanical fixing for insulated boards in my area.

They do here too, and for the cost and time involved it's not really an issue to do it. Are they truly necessary? Probably not, but then you could say that about a large amount of requirements for building regs.

Nail/ head @imago
As mentioned earlier, if going into soft material like thermalite, a 7mm bit would probably be better than the regulatory 8mm